Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBA registration / unregistration ???

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
coopdetat
508 Views, 2 Replies

VBA registration / unregistration ???

I thought I would open VBAIDE and see if I got any clues regarding a crash I am getting repeatedly.  I have no VBA apps running that I know of or am responsible for but VLIDE was not involved so I was hoping VBA might be and would kick up an error message.  I am running a custom app of my own (dialog) which has been very stable for the past 12-13 years... until I started using Civil 3D 2013.  Now, AutoCAD will sometimes crash when I dismiss my dialog.  I thought I had the only circumstance which would cause the crash identified but it seems now that what I identified is just "a" circumstance that will cause the crash and I'm pretty sure the circumstance was NOT met in this case.  Before I ramble on much further here is the error message VBA threw up when I crashed.  I have no clue if it has anything to do with the cause of the crash or if it is just a response to the crash and VBA was not involved.

x64VBAServer19 (error window)

"Running in independent mode due to the wrong switch being used for registration/unregistration"

Does anyone know what this error means and whether I need to fix something about VBA registration? Or, is it just a common result of AutoCAD crashing with VBAIDE open?

Is there a change between C3D 2009 and C3d 2013 that I missed that can affect dialog apps, especially during opening or closing them?

The verbose explanation of the crash circumstance that I DO NOT believe is involved in this crash follows:

It requires that a clipped image be present with an "illegal" clipping boundary.  I create the "illegal" clipping boundary myself via some code I wrote for clipping an image to a heavy polyline boundary of any length and optionally including arcs (bulges).  I have created numerous blocks over the years with clipped images in order to hide whatever ends up beneath the blocks.  (I started back when Wipeouts were unsupported - images have always been supported so I used something Autodesk provides support for (so-to-speak)).  If the polyline I used was a closed polyline with common endpoints then the boundary my code created is "illegal".  "Illegal" is the name I've given it.  It is definitely screwed up but it was allowed using ENTMOD.  It will crash AutoCAD but only when some as yet unidentified and subsequent AutoCAD processing takes place.  The "processing" that leads to the crash almost always happens when the Bhatch or Bedit commands are called and probably other commands too.  I've proved the case by whittling a file down to the one single object in the drawing, without which the drawing will not crash and with which it will always crash.  It was an Insert with just such an image. I whittled further and it was just the image that made the difference.  Still, RECOVER and AUDIT reported all to be well.  I have also proven it with a similar but not identical image so it is not a "one time" circumstance.  I don't think that this is the issue this time.  There is only one block with an image in it and it was cured of the problem image long ago.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
owenwengerd
in reply to: coopdetat

Unless your application is written in VBA, then the VBA server error has nothing to do with your application or causing the crash. I hope you've submitted an error report to Autodesk so they are aware of the problem.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 3
coopdetat
in reply to: owenwengerd

Hi Owen,

I made a new post after this one languished w/o a reply.  It is here and is the continuation of this thread.  Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. I could not submit an error report automatically as it was a hard crash that skipped that interface.  I disabled VBAServer and the activity that would invariably cause the crash ceased to cause a crash or other identifiable problems.

P.S.S.

I was attempting to create a Zip file from the Sheet Set etransmit method and could not create the zip even though AutoCAD reported that the Zip file was created each time. (I was in danger of proving that I was insane given the many times I did exactly the same thing expecting different results, 8-)) On a hunch I re-enabled VBAServer and ran etransmit again... it created the Zip file.  I suppose that etransmit requires VBAServer?

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost