Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Autodesk Discussion Groups

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
wrighte
1770 Views, 58 Replies

Updates to Autodesk Discussion Groups

On June 4, Autodesk is upgrading the technology behind our discussion groups. The result is a significant improvement to posting & replying, navigation, search and other features. While we launch this upgrade, the discussion groups will be unavailable from 3pm (PDT) Thursday, June 3 and Friday June 4.

As part of the upgrade, Autodesk has taken the decision to discontinue the time-honored use of the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP). This was a difficult and bittersweet decision, given the company’s past investments to maintain NNTP, but one necessary to continue providing the state-of-art web experience Autodesk customers have come to expect. For active NNTP users, we know this will change your workflow when using the forums. To help transition to the web-based forums, the new updates include a simpler, more intuitive interface to post and reply, bookmarking and e-mail notification features to track favorite posts, and more powerful search tools. While not a substitute for the NNTP experience, the streamlined capabilities of our RSS feeds also provide an enhanced and alternative offline forum reading experience.

Autodesk is excited about this change, and is confident that all the valued users of our discussion groups will quickly appreciate and benefit from the improvements to this web experience.

Eric Wright
Product Manager – Support & Learning
Web & eBusiness
Autodesk, Inc.

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.

58 REPLIES 58
Message 41 of 59
SomeBuddy
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Ohh, it's OK, I didn't try to point out any irelevance or whatever, but it was just an observation. Anyway, as I said, I didn't spend 30 minutes editing, it was rather some very reasonable amount of time, so I still hope for an answer from the concerned people.

Regards,

Message 42 of 59
wrighte
in reply to: SomeBuddy

One of the goals of the Autodesk Login was to centralize a single login & password for multiple Autodesk sites (Subscription, forums, community sites, etc.).  Your findings are correct that the keep me signed in feature sets a cookie central to the login system, not to each specific site. 

I guess I don't understand why you need two separate accounts.  Is it just to maintain some level of anonymity in the forums, but not in Subscription? If so, you may need to avoid using that feature and just login/logout to each site as needed.

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 43 of 59
wrighte

How long are you typically spending editing a message.   I'm not aware of any settings that limit this time, but you may be encountering a browser session timeout. 

As Jason pointed out, I was referrring to the time the "Edit" option is avaialble in the options dropdown.

@SomeBuddy wrote:
if you exceed a certain period of time, when you want to update the changes you will get a message saying that you exceeded the editing time and then the changes can not be posted.

Regards,

SomeBuddy

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 44 of 59
lpseifert
in reply to: wrighte

I just opened an old post of mine... there was no option to edit.

So am I to believe that I can't edit posts older than 30 minutes?

What if I were to post some code and an hour later I realize I made a mistake... can't I edit it?

If that's the case, it sucks.

~~~Civil 3D 2008~~~
Message 45 of 59
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: lpseifert

That is exactly the case.  Edit within 30 minutes or you are SOL.

Message 46 of 59
wrighte
in reply to: lpseifert

In that case I would reply to your own post with correction/clarification or use the report inappropriate content to request removal of the post altogether.  How did you all manage in the old platform where you couldn't edit after someone replied?

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 47 of 59
wrighte

Are you seeing the auto-save option to re-load a saved topic?   Can you screenshot the error you receive?

@SomeBuddy wrote:
if you exceed a certain period of time, when you want to update the changes you will get a message saying that you exceeded the editing time and then the changes can not be posted.

Regards,

SomeBuddy

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 48 of 59
SomeBuddy

Thanks for the answer Eric, although is disappointing. I don't think this is something everybody wants and I think there's a lot of people wanting to keep their anonymity and a low profile. In fact I know that the anonymity was one of the biggest concerns of most of the people on the old NNTP interface and it holds true for this one, so it doesn't look like you have any intention to meet the expectations of these people.

In another train of thoughts, how is it possible that a forum site dedicated to AutoCAD customization doesn't accept the DCL extension as a valid one !?!?!?

Regards

Message 49 of 59
Jason.Piercey

@wrighte wrote:

How did you all manage in the old platform where you couldn't edit after someone replied?

Kept replying to the thread with corrections.  Which forced other readers

to view every single post to get the corrections, which pretty much stinks

when posting code.

Wasn't the idea here to improve the interface/functionality?  Why even have

an edit feature at all, when it's virtually useless?

Fail.

Message 50 of 59
wrighte

.dcl added to allowed types.  Good suggestion. 

Best practice would be to zip attachments depending on size or if you have multiple files.

@SomeBuddy wrote:
how is it possible that a forum site dedicated to AutoCAD customization doesn't accept the DCL extension as a valid one !?!?!?

Regards

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 51 of 59
SomeBuddy

I know about the ZIP alternative  Eric, but I've found this DCL issue to be very goofy!

Regards

Message 52 of 59
Steve_Johnson

@wrighte wrote:

.dcl added to allowed types.  Good suggestion.  

Maybe you should have considered user testing the new forum software? Who knows, one of them may have provided you with a useful set of allowed file extensions, such as .dcl. They may have also provided you with a wealth of other useful feedback about the forum software that you could have taken into account. They might even advised you to choose different software altogether, if they had just happened to notice in passing that this one sucks. That way, maybe you could have avoided inflicting this regurgitated dog's breakfast on your customers.

Just a thought. Smiley Sad

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Message 53 of 59
Kent1Cooper

Please get rid of graphic-image emoticons.

Given the common use of colons in AutoLisp functions, such as the command-name argument in (defun), and the fact that colons can also be used in other ways such as in variable names, it is really stupid that certain combinations of colons with other characters trigger dumb little faces.  What do we need those for, on a forum like this?  If people want to use emoticons in their message content outside code portions, I imagine they will settle for the old text-characters-only versions. 8^(

Yes, I have my "Emoticon type" set to "None," so when I'm Signed In, I don't see them.  But even I sometimes check into the website and look at some things without necessarily signing in, and am therefore victimized by them.  And anyone who isn't registered is out of luck, with no way to know what should go in the code there instead, unless they happen to know which emoticon represents which character combination [I just posted a Translator, to tide us over, and to soon become obsolete, I hope].

It wouldn't be so bad if, when content that includes them is copied and pasted into a plain-text editor like Notepad, the colon-and-character combinations were restored.  But they're not -- they're just missing.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 54 of 59
rkmcswain

wrighte wrote:

I guess I don't understand why you need two separate accounts.  Is it just to maintain some level of anonymity in the forums, but not in Subscription? If so, you may need to avoid using that feature and just login/logout to each site as needed.

@wrighte

In my case, one account belongs to my employer (The Subscription login) and the other account (Forum) is my personal one. 

However, the problem described is not a forum or an Autodesk issue. It's just the way browsers work with cookies. 

I use one browser (Chrome) for accessing the forums, and another one (Firefox) for accessing the Subscription site. Both maintain their unique cookies and allow me to login to both sites with different credentials.

@SomeBuddy - Yeah, I know it's been 5 years and you've probably already figured this out 😉

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 55 of 59
rkmcswain
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Kent1Cooper wrote:

Please get rid of graphic-image emoticons.

Given the common use of colons in AutoLisp functions, such as the command-name argument in (defun), and the fact that colons can also be used in other ways such as in variable names,

Is it working now?

(defun C:foo () (do_something))

Message 56 of 59
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

Is it working now?

(defun C:foo () (do_something))

That's not a valid test, since f is not one of the characters that trigger emoticons when following a colon.  But here's a check on some that do, which [if they haven't taken my suggestion to eliminate that feature, and only when you're not signed in or have not disabled them in your preferences] will appear as emoticons:

😄

😮

😮

😛

😛

:S

😞

🙂

😐

😆

Now I have to sign out in order to see whether they do, since when signed in I have them disabled....

EDIT:  And yes, they still do trigger emoticons under those circumstances, so the answer is No, it's not working now [assuming that by "working" you meant that they heeded my request and discontinued colon+character emoticon capability].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 57 of 59
rkmcswain

Kent1Cooper wrote:

That's not a valid test, since f is not one of the characters that trigger emoticons when following a colon.

Good point, I thought I was still seeing these occasionally.

Kent1Cooper wrote:

Now I have to sign out in order to see whether they do....

Or just copy and paste the URL into a "Private" (Firefox), "Incognito" (chrome) or.....[well, who cares about IE!] tab or window

(defun C:DaTest ()

(do_something)

(c:Onother one)

(S::Startup)

(Function:)

)

;;; I wonder if they work in code windows also?
(defun C:DaTest ()
 (do_something)
 (c:Onother one)
 (S::Startup)
 (Function:)
)

Message 58 of 59
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

;;; I wonder if they work in code windows also?

They do not show as emoticons inside the code window when the ones outside it do [at least not in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome].  That's good to know -- they still did back when I first dealt with this situation, so I'm glad it's been "fixed" at least inside code windows.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 59 of 59
rkmcswain

Kent1Cooper wrote:
...so I'm glad it's been "fixed" at least inside code windows.

Looks like that happened sometime in 2012.

I'm going to add an entry to the community IdeaStation to turn them off globally as a default.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost