Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Autodesk Discussion Groups

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
wrighte
1765 Views, 58 Replies

Updates to Autodesk Discussion Groups

On June 4, Autodesk is upgrading the technology behind our discussion groups. The result is a significant improvement to posting & replying, navigation, search and other features. While we launch this upgrade, the discussion groups will be unavailable from 3pm (PDT) Thursday, June 3 and Friday June 4.

As part of the upgrade, Autodesk has taken the decision to discontinue the time-honored use of the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP). This was a difficult and bittersweet decision, given the company’s past investments to maintain NNTP, but one necessary to continue providing the state-of-art web experience Autodesk customers have come to expect. For active NNTP users, we know this will change your workflow when using the forums. To help transition to the web-based forums, the new updates include a simpler, more intuitive interface to post and reply, bookmarking and e-mail notification features to track favorite posts, and more powerful search tools. While not a substitute for the NNTP experience, the streamlined capabilities of our RSS feeds also provide an enhanced and alternative offline forum reading experience.

Autodesk is excited about this change, and is confident that all the valued users of our discussion groups will quickly appreciate and benefit from the improvements to this web experience.

Eric Wright
Product Manager – Support & Learning
Web & eBusiness
Autodesk, Inc.

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.

58 REPLIES 58
Message 21 of 59
wrighte
in reply to: wrighte

Yeah, that sample didn't have any indents (likely result of the existing pain point in this area), but they are preserved in the new system. Made a quick text file with tabbed indents, cut, paste code. See attached.

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 22 of 59
wrighte

Kent,

Attach a sample (text file so current system preserved it) and I'll cut/paste in a third test.

--ERIC

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 59
Kent1Cooper

Here's a small portion out of a big routine of mine, with a pretty typical angle-bracketed default offering in a prompt, a situation in which, to date, the website would typically omit the angle brackets and everything between them, if it was pasted into a message body rather than attached.

--
Kent Cooper

wrighte wrote...
Attach a sample (text file so current system preserved it) and I'll cut/paste in a third test.
Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 24 of 59
wrighte

Opened in TextPad, cut, pasted code. Looks good.

--ERIC

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 59
Kent1Cooper

All right! That will avoid a lot of cautionary explanations, missed code content, etc.... I will also be interested to see whether prior posts with that problem will be "fixed" when opened in the new website interface.

--
Kent Cooper

wrighte wrote...
Opened in TextPad, cut, pasted code. Looks good.
Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 26 of 59
wrighte

Unfortunately, I don't expect past posts will be "corrected." We will migrate what was written to the current database. I don't believe the code formatting issues of the past were only a display issue.

--ERIC

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 59
Anonymous

Eric:

What do you get if you reply to that message, or if you copy and paste the
code out of it and into a new message?
--
Owen Wengerd
President, ManuSoft <>
VP Americas, CADLock, Inc. <>

"wrighte" wrote in message news:6401007@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Opened in TextPad, cut, pasted code. Looks good.
>
> --ERIC
>
Message 28 of 59
Anonymous

Eric - That was with tabs??????

How many tabs are on furthest indented line, Eric?

I'm almost afraid to ask, but is the number of spaces
that a tab uses configurable?

What about the line wrapping problem that currently
exists with [code] ?

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2011

http://www.acadxtabs.com

Email: string.Format("{0}@{1}.com", "tonyt", "caddzone");

wrote in message news:6400793@discussion.autodesk.com...
Yeah, that sample didn't have any indents (likely result of the existing pain
point in this area), but they are preserved in the new system. Made a quick
text file with tabbed indents, cut, paste code. See attached.
Message 29 of 59
wrighte

The first sample I posted was somethign simple I quickly created with tabs and the tabs were preserved in the post (not converted to spaces). The .lsp sample Kent provided contained spaces (no tabs) and those spaces were preserved when I pasted it into the new system as well. Line wrapping is preserved when using the "Paste Code" option in the new editor. The Paste Code feature inserts the code into an embedded scrollable window that allows width beyond the interface's native message width. Current use of code tag as a workaround will no longer be necessary.

--ERIC

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 59
wrighte

Formatting preserved. Attached text file where I cut/pasted from the interface into a text file. Matches the original .lsp file provided.

Owen wrote: What do you get if you reply to that message, or if you copy and paste the
code out of it and into a new message?

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 31 of 59
Roland_Feletic

I'm sorry, but I don't like reading this forum in a browser. NNTP was and is much better. Also the code was readable before some changes to the forums a year ago.  I hope that the BETA forums will not change the support of NNTP.

Message 32 of 59
AlessiMarc'Antonio
in reply to: Anonymous

> the best support of autodesk are these useful discussion groups, where
> people help others (without getting payed for it).
> your update and support policy really force me into alternatives to
> autodesk.

I subscribe.

Goodbye.

Marc'Antonio Alessi

http://alessi.xoom.it//alessi/Programmi.htm
(vl-string-translate "1234567890" "ie@mst.lan" "499825513610716")
2D Parametric for 2000-2013
Message 33 of 59
kalmy
in reply to: Roland_Feletic

also I agree, we need NNTP

kalmy

Message 34 of 59
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: kalmy

Not hosted on Autodesk servers, but the customization group can

be accessed via NNTP.  If more folks are aware of it perhaps we

can get some kind of participation going and leave this awful web

interface (excuse me, state-of-the-art interface) behind.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/NNTP-Access-via-news-eternal-septembe...

Message 35 of 59
SomeBuddy

Hi Eric,

I want to report a small issue with this web-based interface.

I have a job related Autodesk Subscription account where my name is used in clear in the username. Since I am alone on my computer(s) at work, I've checked the "Remember My User ID" and "Keep Me Signed In" options, because I am lazy and have too many acccounts on differents sites to remember. The problem with this setup is that these options generate cookies in order to automatically log me each time I click on the Subscription's shortcut.

This would be fine, BUT, when I try to log onto the Discussion Groups page, where I've also checked the "Remember My User ID" and "Keep Me Signed In" options, to my big surprise, the server is looking for THE SAME COOKIES used for the Subscription page and logs me with those paramaters, so that if I want to post something here, my whole name used for the username will be exposed, which I don't want.

So I've created another account for this forum, BUT the problem is that when I enter the username and password for this forum, it overwrites THE SAME COOKIES used by the Subscription server, so that the next time when I want to automatically log onto the Subscription page, I got an error message saying that there is no account associated with these parameters, which obviously is true, since it "sees" the parameters for thee Discussions Group account.

As you can see it comming, I have to flush these cookies each and every time I want to log on one or the other of the two pages. I assumne that this interface being new and stuff, you didn't realize that it takes its own cookies, so my point here is could you guys just use different cookies for the Subscription server and for the Discussion Group server, so that I can use the "Remember My User ID" and "Keep Me Signed In" on both of them without having to refresh the cookies each and every time?

Regards,

Some Buddy

Message 36 of 59
SomeBuddy

Hi,

I have another issue with this new interface and I would like to warn everybody about this. Just be aware that if you edit a post with the intention to add some more explanation and then if you exceed a certain period of time, when you want to update the changes you will get a message saying that you exceeded the editing time and then the changes can not be posted. Even worse, you cant go back to the editing page, so all the changes you've made are lost. And I can assure you that this is frustrating!!!

So Eric, do you hear us here?

Regards,

SomeBuddy

Message 37 of 59
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: SomeBuddy

Per this thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Questions-Feedback-about-the/Previous-Post-Editing-Limitations/td-p/26...

I asked

"What purpose does a time limit serve?"

Eric said

"It just preserves the integrity of the original post.  30 minutes is pretty standard"

So we pretty much have a bunch of features that are limited (read: next to useless),

and any changes to the interface that would be helpful to a user (flag a post, static

navigation pane, threaded conversations, etc...) isn't possible or we are at least

being told it isn't possible.  Welcome to the state-of-the-art web experience that

users have come to expect.

Message 38 of 59
SomeBuddy
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the answer.

I have to say that by no means I've spent 30 minutes editing. I would say it was at most 15 minutes, so I don't really know what to believe about Eric's answer.

And  I'm still waiting an answer from Eric about the cookies issue. Anyway, although I don't like to repeat myself, another proof that this is more of an interfece than an interface.

Regards

Message 39 of 59
SomeBuddy
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Well, following your link, I see now that this is about something else. My problem is not about the disappearance of the edit option after some time,  but about a time limit while you are in editing mode, after what you can not post your edited mesage, nor go back to the editing page, in order to recover the changes. And this limitation seems even weirder to me than the other one, so maybe we will have an answer to this.

Message 40 of 59
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: SomeBuddy

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) the time limit for editing a reply (30 minutes)

was also the time limit while in editing mode.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost