Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to finish command. Command abruptly ends "File is read-only"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
brrichter
199 Views, 2 Replies

Unable to finish command. Command abruptly ends "File is read-only"

OK, this problem continues to surface throughout the office and it is driving me nuts. Once in awhile, out of the clear blue sky, our "aer" command breaks. A user will use it but it ends abruptly. Command line says "file is read-only", and command ends.

This command has the user select objects that then are turned into G code for our CNC machines. When user launches "aer", user selects objects, then after selecting objects, a dialog appears for user to save the .aer file. However, with this issue, after objects are selected, the dialog flashes and then goes away, and then the command line says "file is read-only" and that's that. This user can no longer use AER for some reason that is not known.

Usually after about 4 hours of dinking around the problem will be solved. However we have a machine now on 2008 that just cannot be fixed. So far I've spent about 16 hours changing file attributes, overwriting autolisp folders, amongst other hacks to rid us of this issue. We're looking at having to uninstall and reinstalling autocad, but i'm afraid that will be another effort in futility.

Attached is a zip file containing the files that make AER work. I really wish I had some idea why this happens out of the clear blue sky. It's happened to me on 2009 three times now over the past 2 years. This problem is my manager's system which is on 2008. We've had 4 different machines develop this problem out of nowhere over the past couple of years. It seems version 2008 is the version that brought this problem on. Does anybody have any idea why this would be happening? I've searched forums until I'm blue in the face and I cannot find any thread about a .lsp routine complaining about a file being read-only.

thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
brrichter
in reply to: brrichter

Hmm... Lack of feedback leaves me worried... We've reinstalled and still the read-only problem persists. Looks like we're gonna be forced into rebuilding this computer.... Really wish I knew why this was happening on our computers... It doesn't make any sense.
Message 3 of 3
brrichter
in reply to: brrichter

WHEW! Figured out what was causing this. It was a corrupted .ini file associated with this .lsp. A simple overwrite of the backup file fixed this manacing issue....

-Brad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost