Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferri​ng Custom Macro from AutoCAD 2004 to AutoCAD 2012

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mrrj44
545 Views, 5 Replies

Transferri​ng Custom Macro from AutoCAD 2004 to AutoCAD 2012

We are now running AutoCAD 2012 on our network.  We had a third party come in a long time ago and write us a custom macro that generates specsheets for our product.  The problem is it was written for AutoCAD 2004.

I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me there is a way to move that code from 2004 to 2012 somewhat easily.  If not easily, at least tell me that it is possible without having to rewrite the entire macro.

Any help would be awesome.

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: mrrj44

This is highly dependant on whether it was written as a script, in LISP, VBA, or VB6.  It may also depend on what the generated spreadsheet is (CSV, Excel workbook, etc.).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
mrrj44
in reply to: dgorsman

Ok,

I've dug into this a little more and it appears it is a little more involved than just being a macro.  The macro is actually pointing it toward an actual written vba program it appears.  The program actually outputs an autoCAD drawing that is the specsheet.  This probably makes this about impossible to transfer over now right?

I mean I have the program files, but that's going to be pretty difficult or impossible to move without having that program re-written right?

Message 4 of 6
dgorsman

Not necessarily a whole lot of work.  You could install the VBA enabler, and repoint the VBA code to the AutoCAD references, and there might be a few pieces of the code that need updating.  Thats providing you have the source code.

But you should first look into features included in AutoCAD and see if it can do what you need already (*lots* of additions between the two versions).  If you still need something custom, its probably a good idea to document the desired work process and get it rebuilt in dotNET.  There's a little more work involved, but it will be easier to move forward for your next AutoCAD upgrade.

Message 5 of 6
mrrj44
in reply to: dgorsman

I have downloaded and installed the enabler just today.  As for repointing the VBA code, I'm going to need a little help on that. 

As for the source code, I have two files that are in the program files from the 2004 version called:

AutoCAD Menu Source

AutoCAD VBA Source

They are .dvb. Are these my source code (I'm guessing the VBA Source is the meat of it)?

Message 6 of 6
dgorsman

That should be the source code, if its not password protected then you should be able to make the necessary updates.  At this point I'd recommend jumping this over the Visual Basic board, where more VBA-oriented folks hang out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost