Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REtain Original Tool Palette Icon

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
RocksterB
352 Views, 7 Replies

REtain Original Tool Palette Icon

I am updating the tools on my office's tool palettes. I should mention I'm updating the names to include the suffix "Rev2". Because of the new block layout, the new icon images are too small to distinguish. How can I retain the original icon image as I update the tool palette?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
gccdaemon
in reply to: RocksterB

Right click on the item in the toolpalette and select Properties. In the Tool Properties window, you'll see the image on the top left. Right click on the image and select Specify Image. I'm not sure if this will be overwritten by updating the tool image or not. Hope that helps.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 8
RocksterB
in reply to: gccdaemon

Let me give a simple example of the issue.

I have a block containing a circle. The block is named “Circle Rev1”. Using this block to create a palette tool, it creates an icon with a circle and lightning bolt. Later I update the block to include a seven character attribute to the right of the circle. The block is renamed to “Circle Rev2” and the tool on the palette is revised along with the icon. Now the icon image contains a circle with adjacent seven text characters. As you would expect, the icon is now too small to decipher what it is. I would prefer to update the tool and keep not have the icon change with each revision. I hope this explains the issue I’m encountering.

Message 4 of 8
RocksterB

Wow! I think I've stumped the experts! Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 8
hmsilva

@RocksterB wrote:

Wow! I think I've stumped the experts! Smiley Surprised

Hi RocksterB,
was not gccdaemon's solution suitable?
Or, you didn't understood gccdaemon's advise?

@RocksterB wrote:

Let me give a simple example of the issue.

I have a block containing a circle. The block is named “Circle Rev1”. Using this block to create a palette tool, it creates an icon with a circle and lightning bolt. Later I update the block to include a seven character attribute to the right of the circle. The block is renamed to “Circle Rev2” and the tool on the palette is revised along with the icon. Now the icon image contains a circle with adjacent seven text characters. As you would expect, the icon is now too small to decipher what it is. I would prefer to update the tool and keep not have the icon change with each revision. I hope this explains the issue I’m encountering.

Let's see if I can help...

Tool Palletes.

When you add a .dwg to a Tool Pallet, AutoCAD creates by default two images from the file, FileName32.PNG and FileName64.PNG for that specific tool...

If you proceed as gccdaemon as described in is reply

'Right click on the item in the toolpalette and select Properties. In the Tool Properties window, you'll see the image on the top left. Right click on the image and select Specify Image.'

or at the pallete, select tool, right click and Specify Image, and select one of the default image (i.e. FileName64.PNG) AutoCAD will erase the other image, and the selected image becomes the image for that specific tool.

If you change the data inside de original file, or even specify a new source file for that tool, the image becomes unalterable until you right click on tool and select Remove specified image.

Hope that helps
Henrique

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
RocksterB
in reply to: hmsilva

Thanks for the feedback. So, is there a method to revise the block without changing the original image? That's what I need to do.

Message 7 of 8
hmsilva

@RocksterB wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome.

@RocksterB wrote:

So, is there a method to revise the block without changing the original image?

Yes.

As described in my previous post...

Henrique

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
RocksterB
in reply to: hmsilva

Thanks for your help guys. I'll try your suggestyions on Monday. Also, what i may do is restore the orgiginal copy of the images back to the same image folder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost