Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Watch window

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
McDara
1250 Views, 7 Replies

Problem with Watch window

I am writing an Autolisp program and using VLIDE. When I insert a break into the code and then open the Watch window, I immediatly get the pointer icon indicating that Autocad is waiting for an input. Nothing in the IDE window works at that point and when I switch to the Autocad window and hit F2, I see no command that has been initiated, but the prompt is saying "Select object" It is very difficult to break out of this and if I do, I am not able to clear the Watch window. It is as if the Watch window is starting a command in Autocad and won't allow it to be cancelled.

Is there a was to externally clear the Watch window?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MattPalan2009
in reply to: McDara

Perhaps some more information is in order to help us help you.  Can you post the offending code?  Can you be more specific about the steps you take to cause this error?  Are you inserting a break in to the code while the code is running?

I have been using Visual lisp since R12 and I have not ever seen anything like this.  Even though the Basis Software version used to require you to reload your code after placing break points.  I am a creature of habit and still do this even though it is not required.

I have locked up AuroCAD while debugging a .NET code by typing VLIDE at the command prompt.

We need more information please?

Matthew

Message 3 of 8
McDara
in reply to: MattPalan2009

The problem is not connected to any code. When I open Autocad and type VLIDE on the command line I get the IDE for Visual Lisp. No code present.

I type Cntrl-Shift-W the watch window opens and it jumps me back to the Auocad screen and it says "Select Object" on the command line. Nothing I do can seem to break out of that. Selecting objects, not selecting objects, hitting enter, hitting escape, nothing. If I click back into the IDE I get the () x-y looking pointer and nothing works.

I have a list of things that I was watching when I was debugging a program I was working on. Something I hit put *LAST-VALUE*=nil at the top of the list. I don't know what I clicked to get that there, but that wasn't something I was using. I can't clear the list of do anthing other than closing the Watch Window and then escaping out of the command line.

Message 4 of 8
MattPalan2009

To some extent I can reproduce this.  I have never tried to watch a function.  To this point I have only watched varibles that I set myself.  I have 2014 to test this in.  I tried to Watch "(Entsel)"  This locks up the system for a couple seconds.  Then the watch window displays "<**ERROR**>.  I can shut off the watch window when Error is displayed and everythign returns to normal.  I can still pick the second button in the watch window to clear it, and thus ending the loop.

If you have an older version of AutoCAD or a slower machine this might not be possible.

I bet you are trying to watch a function with a select objects prompt. 

Matthew

Message 5 of 8
hmsilva

Hi McDara,

close AutoCAD, and at

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD xxxx\Rxxx\enu

you should find a VLIDE.DSK file, just rename the file to VLIDE.OLD, and reopen Autocad.

HTH

Henrique

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
McDara
in reply to: hmsilva

Thanks for the info. I didn't have a chance to post it yesterday, but I figured I would randomly look through the location you posted, on the chance the Watch window data was being written to the hard drive. I deleted the DSK file, becaus eht etime and date showed the last time I open Autocad and once it was gone the Window showed clear and no problem with it being stuck.

Thanks again for the help!

Message 7 of 8
hmsilva

You're welcome, McDara
glad you got a solution

Henrique

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
stancescu
in reply to: hmsilva

Yes, great Henrique, thank you!

I found this solution after two hours of search!

I am not a Visual LISP expert, but I want to add something.

You rename VLIDE.DSK to VLIDE.old. This means that VLIDE.DSK disappears, isn't it?

After reopen AutoCAD, you will find Visual LISP as a clean, reset application.

You may make now your settings, and then apply Tools => Save Settings to recreate VLIDE.DSK in the same place, containing your new settings.

Good luck!

Constantin, Romania

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost