Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent dots on end of custom line type?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ArchD
5454 Views, 8 Replies

Prevent dots on end of custom line type?

I have a custom linetype that's just a series of arrows I want to use to show the flow of a ditch. I've played around with this thing for a while and have these dots at each end of the line that shows up when I print.

Is there any way to make this linetype without the dots at each end?

I've attached a screen shot, and the actual files for the line type.

FLOW.lin

*FLOW,
A,0,-.002,.148519,[FLOW,FLOW.shx,s=1],-.449481

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: ArchD

@ArchD wrote:

I have a custom linetype that's just a series of arrows I want to use to show the flow of a ditch. I've played around with this thing for a while and have these dots at each end of the line that shows up when I print.

Is there any way to make this linetype without the dots at each end?

I don't think so.  From the Customization Guide:

When the linetype is drawn, AutoCAD uses the first pattern descriptor for the starting and ending dashes. Between the starting and ending dashes, the pattern dash specifications are drawn sequentially, beginning with the second dash specification and restarting the pattern with the first dash specification when required.

A-type alignment requires that the first dash length be 0 or greater (a pen-down segment).

It's that 0-length pen-down segment at the beginning of your pattern description that you're seeing at the ends.

If you don't mind having a line segment without an arrowhead at the arrowhead-ward ends of things, you can do that.  The result will go all the way to the ends of the object, rather than have the gaps between the arrow portions and the points at the ends that you're getting, but at least it won't have points separated from the rest at the ends.  I have a similar linetype that works that way, though it uses a > text character instead of a shape [see attached].  If that will work for you, I think you could just omit the 0 and the first negative descriptor from your pattern.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Adjust your code to what is shown below except for the shape info.  Also see attached.  I agree with Kent on the subject of haveing the 0 at the beginning of the linetype code.  HTH

*ARRW,ARRW ----<----<----
A,.2,-.25,[ARWW,HRH-Ltshp,s=.0125],-.1,.1

Message 4 of 9
ArchD
in reply to: Anonymous

Great! I can use it with the line on the end, I'll just have to add an arrow head. This option beats copying tons of little arrows around and rotating them. Even though I do have a dynamic block for that, it's time consuming.

Thanks for the help you guys. My final ended up being:

*FLOW,
A,.2,.1,[FLOW,FLOW.SHX,s=2],-2,.125

Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Your welcome, you helped me on a ribbon issue some time ago, so its nice to be able to return the favor, not that we're counting here.  Have a good one.

Message 6 of 9
ArchD
in reply to: Anonymous

Ha, nice, glad I could help on the ribbon issue. That's what I come here for, usually great people willing to help. Thanks again.

I'll mark this as a win for you on my wall here at my office.

Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 7 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@ArchD wrote:

..... My final ended up being:

*FLOW,
A,.2,.1,[FLOW,FLOW.SHX,s=2],-2,.125

Any reason not to do this?:

A,.3,[FLOW....

As it is, you have two pen-down segments in a row, which may as well be combined.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 9
ArchD
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

That works. I don't really know what the part of that snipet of code really do, I just mess around with them and hope it looks good.

Sometimes, the beginning and ending line ends up being longer than I'd like. Is there a way to make it so that they will only get so long?

Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 9 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@ArchD wrote:

Sometimes, the beginning and ending line ends up being longer than I'd like. Is there a way to make it so that they will only get so long?

Come to think of it, my suggestion to combine your .2 and .1 descriptors may not have been the best idea, because of what it says in the Help excerpt [that I myself quoted], about the first descriptor being used for the beginning and end dashes.  I expect that if you broke the .3 apart again, and reversed the two piece, with .1 followed by .2, you'd get shorter ends.  You might even start with a 0-length pen-down descriptor as you had originally, but just follow it with another pen-down descriptor instead of a pen-up, such as:

A,0,.3,[FLOW....

which probably would minimize the end lengths, since that 0 should be used for the end dash length.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost