Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot Style Lists STB

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
456 Views, 19 Replies

Plot Style Lists STB

I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution to accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set a different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like our Standard Layer Manager, only thing is thats one setting I didn't include. And Yes it can be done, but not without a little bit of coding... If no ones answered, it's because as you've mentioned, no one has found a need for it. Or perhaps they have, and are not willing or going to tell you... "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution to > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set a > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > would be appreciated. Thanks. > >
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

Are you saying that you want a way to *apply* a name-based plot style to a layer, or that you want a way to determine what plot styles are defined in the .stb file? -- R. Robert Bell "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution to accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set a different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

I believe you can assign a plot style to a layer, what you can't do is access the STB file to determine what styles are defined or what they are. I have had some conversations with tech support from M-Color/Motive Systems and they had developed non-autocad code that could decompile the zlib compression, but at the time they were unable to share it. Dan -- ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution to > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set a > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > would be appreciated. Thanks. > >
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to what layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the damn thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't know what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers anyway. I sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off their programing skills. It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came out and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than any other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define pen width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign any named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply assign the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any other setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so any time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to the same colour. The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile a list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer names. If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be a little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing in the morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the week but if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals between replies. Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. www.keen.ca "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution to > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set a > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > would be appreciated. Thanks. > >
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

I never got an answer that really sufficed but I do appreciate the response. What I was trying to do was write a program that stream line the layer naming routine. I was supplying the name, color and whether or not I wanted the new layer to plot through the use of edit boxes and a toggle. I was going to use two lists to determine linetype and plotstyle. (I have been using the assigned plotstyles practically since they came out and generally prefer then to assigning a color for lineweight. In my opinion they provide a much greater degree of flexibility.) My routine would allow me to assign a plotstyle to a layer if I knew what it's name was through the conventional edit box. This required that you know the individual name of each plotstyle that you would use. I do work for several different projects that require a different stb for each one and as you can imagine this could get cumbersome in a hurry. I was able to retrieve the name of the active table and or assign a new table to a specific drawing, but have never been able to access the list of styles contained in the individual tables. I am pretty much a neophyte when it comes to this stuff and eventually gave up and continued to use what I had.

Richard Thomas
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Why would different projects *require* different style names? I think you are missing the power of name-based styles! Use consistent names for *all* projects. Then, when a project requires a different look, you simply load an stb that has the same names, but different definitions. That is what we do here, with great success. -- R. Robert Bell "rthomas" wrote in message news:28356851.1079961330476.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... I never got an answer that really sufficed but I do appreciate the response. What I was trying to do was write a program that stream line the layer naming routine. I was supplying the name, color and whether or not I wanted the new layer to plot through the use of edit boxes and a toggle. I was going to use two lists to determine linetype and plotstyle. (I have been using the assigned plotstyles practically since they came out and generally prefer then to assigning a color for lineweight. In my opinion they provide a much greater degree of flexibility.) My routine would allow me to assign a plotstyle to a layer if I knew what it's name was through the conventional edit box. This required that you know the individual name of each plotstyle that you would use. I do work for several different projects that require a different stb for each one and as you can imagine this could get cumbersome in a hurry. I was able to retrieve the name of the active table and or assign a new table to a specific drawing, but have never been able to access the list of styles contained in the individual tables. I am pretty much a neophyte when it comes to this stuff and eventually gave up and continued to use what I had. Richard Thomas
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

What you suggest would be great if I had total control over such things. Unfortunately I don't. We get dwgs in from other firms with their tables that have to be modified and then returned to them. If I don't use their table I'm screwed. And the same thing applies to the next guy. I have two stb for in house use which have identical names as you suggest, one I use for color plots and one for black and white. But I can't control what doesn't originate here or stay here.
Richard Thomas
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

One practical example for wanting for reading an STB is to have a query command for picking an element that tells you what lineweight a layer/plot style will plot. Of course you could have a duplicate data list matching the STB but you'll have to update both if they change. Dan "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to what > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the damn > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't know > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers anyway. I > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off their > programing skills. >
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have been using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I have with STB technology. Let me explain a little more. I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. I know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to go into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, AutoCAD automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file that AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have different style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have the same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned style names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB files I have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program that automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the matching style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers from STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to be able to accomplish that in some sort of way. Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different uses for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be done or not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to what > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the damn > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't know > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers anyway. I > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off their > programing skills. > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came out > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than any > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define pen > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign any > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply assign > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any other > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so any > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to the > same colour. > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile a > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer names. > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be a > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing in the > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the week but > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals between > replies. > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > www.keen.ca > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution > to > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set > a > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > >
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

Don't you have a color-mapped STB to help with the conversion? Try my attached one. -- R. Robert Bell "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:4061fe15$1_3@newsprd01... Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have been using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I have with STB technology. Let me explain a little more. I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. I know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to go into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, AutoCAD automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file that AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have different style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have the same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned style names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB files I have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program that automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the matching style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers from STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to be able to accomplish that in some sort of way. Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different uses for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be done or not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to what > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the damn > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't know > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers anyway. I > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off their > programing skills. > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came out > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than any > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define pen > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign any > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply assign > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any other > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so any > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to the > same colour. > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile a > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer names. > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be a > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing in the > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the week but > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals between > replies. > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > www.keen.ca > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution > to > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set > a > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > > Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb" Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "Convert Old MW Drawings.stb"
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Why not just use (command "layer" "PStyle") and set the STB style you want for each layer? Maintain a list of either layer names or layer colors that gets mapped to a plotstyle. Alternately from www.acadx.com (which seems to be down today?) ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ;;; from acadx Codemine cm_layers ;;; Set plot style for given object (graphic or otherwise, including layers) ;;; NOTE: This can only apply named plot styles as overrides to any defaults ;;; Can't find code for: vlxx-PlotStyle-Exists-p ;;; Plot styles aren't assigned unless they have already been set once ;;; in the layer dialog ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- (defun vlxx-SetPlotStyle (obj strPstyle) (cond ( (and (= 0 (getvar "pstylemode")); using named plot styles? (member strPstyle (massoc 3 (dictsearch (namedobjdict) "ACAD_PLOTSTYLENAME"))) (vlax-write-enabled-p obj) ( vlax-property-available-p obj "PlotStyleName") ) (vla-put-PlotStyleName obj strPstyle) ) ) ) Dan -- ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:4061fe15$1_3@newsprd01... > Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have been > using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I have with > STB technology. Let me explain a little more. > > I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. I > know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to go > into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, AutoCAD > automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, > Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file that > AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have different > style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have the > same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is > changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned style > names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then > updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB files I > have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program that > automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the matching > style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are > externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers from > STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to be > able to accomplish that in some sort of way. > > > Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD > exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different uses > for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for > programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be done or > not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to > what > > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the damn > > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't know > > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers anyway. I > > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off their > > programing skills. > > > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came out > > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than any > > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define pen > > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign any > > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply assign > > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any other > > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so any > > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to the > > same colour. > > > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile a > > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer names. > > > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be a > > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing in > the > > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the week > but > > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals > between > > replies. > > > > Dave Alexander > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution > > to > > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style > table > > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through > the > > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and > set > > a > > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant > to > > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Good suggestion Dan, however not all of the styles listed in the STB file match the layer name. I have xrefs (externally generated) with layer names that are not part of my layer standard so I need to filter out those layers to a couple different style names which will not match the layer name. Externally generated drawing which I xref into my drawings have different layer naming conventions so one xref may have a layer named A-BACK and another xref may have a layer named A-WALL. Multiply that single layer difference times 50 layers and it becomes a major amount of work. I would like both of those layers to go to specified plot style of my choice. I am using the (command "layer" "PStyle") function in my program but when it comes to showing a list of available style names in the STB file I have not found a way to extract that info. I have also not memorized every style name in the STB file so I would like to extract the names and work with a list. Any other suggestions? "Dan Allen" wrote in message news:40620816$1_2@newsprd01... > Why not just use (command "layer" "PStyle") and set the STB style you want > for each layer? Maintain a list of either layer names or layer colors that > gets mapped to a plotstyle. > > Alternately from www.acadx.com (which seems to be down today?) > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > ;;; from acadx Codemine cm_layers > ;;; Set plot style for given object (graphic or otherwise, including layers) > ;;; NOTE: This can only apply named plot styles as overrides to any defaults > ;;; Can't find code for: vlxx-PlotStyle-Exists-p > ;;; Plot styles aren't assigned unless they have already been set once > ;;; in the layer dialog > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > (defun vlxx-SetPlotStyle (obj strPstyle) > (cond > ( (and > (= 0 (getvar "pstylemode")); using named plot styles? > (member strPstyle (massoc 3 (dictsearch (namedobjdict) > "ACAD_PLOTSTYLENAME"))) > (vlax-write-enabled-p obj) > ( vlax-property-available-p obj "PlotStyleName") > ) > (vla-put-PlotStyleName obj strPstyle) > ) > ) > ) > > Dan > > -- > ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > news:4061fe15$1_3@newsprd01... > > Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have > been > > using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I have > with > > STB technology. Let me explain a little more. > > > > I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. I > > know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to go > > into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, > AutoCAD > > automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, > > Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file that > > AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have different > > style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have the > > same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is > > changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned > style > > names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then > > updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB files I > > have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program > that > > automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the matching > > style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are > > externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers from > > STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to be > > able to accomplish that in some sort of way. > > > > > > Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD > > exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different uses > > for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for > > programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be done > or > > not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > > > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to > > what > > > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the > damn > > > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't know > > > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers anyway. > I > > > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off their > > > programing skills. > > > > > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came > out > > > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than any > > > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define > pen > > > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > > > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign > any > > > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply > assign > > > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any > other > > > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so > any > > > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to > the > > > same colour. > > > > > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile a > > > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer > names. > > > > > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be a > > > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing in > > the > > > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the week > > but > > > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals > > between > > > replies. > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' > on > > > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no > solution > > > to > > > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style > > table > > > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through > > the > > > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and > > set > > > a > > > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant > > to > > > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent > feedback > > > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

I would like to list the available style names inside of an STB file (programmically). "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:405b9190$1_2@newsprd01... > Are you saying that you want a way to *apply* a name-based plot style to a > layer, or that you want a way to determine what plot styles are defined in > the .stb file? > > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution to > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set a > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > >
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

If it can be done with coding then how come no one has the answer yet? "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message news:405b90c3$1_3@newsprd01... > Sounds like our Standard Layer Manager, only thing is thats one setting I > didn't include. > > And Yes it can be done, but not without a little bit of coding... > > If no ones answered, it's because as you've mentioned, no one has found a > need for it. > > Or perhaps they have, and are not willing or going to tell you... > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from 'rthomas' on > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no solution > to > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style table > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run through the > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers and set > a > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are hesitant to > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent feedback > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > >
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Well, not very elegant and I don't provide for any error handling but this should work for you. One thing that really needs to be added, but I don't recall how to do it, is to make sure to delete any existing log file for the current drawing. HTH, Jeff (defun getstylelist (/ fname fH str stylenames) (setvar "qaflags" 6) (setvar "logfilemode" 1) (command "_.-plotstyle" "?" "") (setvar "logfilemode" 0) (setvar "qaflags" 0) (setq fName (findfile (getvar "logfilename"))) (setq fH (open fname "r")) (repeat 4 (read-line fH) ) (while (and (setq str (read-line fH)) (not (= str "")) ) (setq stylenames (cons str stylenames)) ) (close fH) (reverse stylenames) ) "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:40621681$1_1@newsprd01... > Good suggestion Dan, however not all of the styles listed in the STB file > match the layer name. I have xrefs (externally generated) with layer names > that are not part of my layer standard so I need to filter out those layers > to a couple different style names which will not match the layer name. > Externally generated drawing which I xref into my drawings have different > layer naming conventions so one xref may have a layer named A-BACK and > another xref may have a layer named A-WALL. Multiply that single layer > difference times 50 layers and it becomes a major amount of work. I would > like both of those layers to go to specified plot style of my choice. I am > using the (command "layer" "PStyle") function in my program but when it > comes to showing a list of available style names in the STB file I have not > found a way to extract that info. I have also not memorized every style > name in the STB file so I would like to extract the names and work with a > list. Any other suggestions? > > > "Dan Allen" wrote in message > news:40620816$1_2@newsprd01... > > Why not just use (command "layer" "PStyle") and set the STB style you want > > for each layer? Maintain a list of either layer names or layer colors that > > gets mapped to a plotstyle. > > > > Alternately from www.acadx.com (which seems to be down today?) > > > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > ;;; from acadx Codemine cm_layers > > ;;; Set plot style for given object (graphic or otherwise, including > layers) > > ;;; NOTE: This can only apply named plot styles as overrides to any > defaults > > ;;; Can't find code for: vlxx-PlotStyle-Exists-p > > ;;; Plot styles aren't assigned unless they have already been set once > > ;;; in the layer dialog > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > (defun vlxx-SetPlotStyle (obj strPstyle) > > (cond > > ( (and > > (= 0 (getvar "pstylemode")); using named plot styles? > > (member strPstyle (massoc 3 (dictsearch (namedobjdict) > > "ACAD_PLOTSTYLENAME"))) > > (vlax-write-enabled-p obj) > > ( vlax-property-available-p obj "PlotStyleName") > > ) > > (vla-put-PlotStyleName obj strPstyle) > > ) > > ) > > ) > > > > Dan > > > > -- > > ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > news:4061fe15$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have > > been > > > using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I have > > with > > > STB technology. Let me explain a little more. > > > > > > I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. I > > > know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to > go > > > into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, > > AutoCAD > > > automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, > > > Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file that > > > AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have > different > > > style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have > the > > > same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is > > > changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned > > style > > > names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then > > > updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB files > I > > > have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program > > that > > > automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the matching > > > style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are > > > externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers > from > > > STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to be > > > able to accomplish that in some sort of way. > > > > > > > > > Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD > > > exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different > uses > > > for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for > > > programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be done > > or > > > not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > > news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to > > > what > > > > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the > > damn > > > > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't > know > > > > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers > anyway. > > I > > > > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off > their > > > > programing skills. > > > > > > > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came > > out > > > > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than > any > > > > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define > > pen > > > > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > > > > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign > > any > > > > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply > > assign > > > > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any > > other > > > > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so > > any > > > > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to > > the > > > > same colour. > > > > > > > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile > a > > > > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer > > names. > > > > > > > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be > a > > > > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing > in > > > the > > > > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the > week > > > but > > > > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals > > > between > > > > replies. > > > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > > > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from > 'rthomas' > > on > > > > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no > > solution > > > > to > > > > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style > > > table > > > > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run > through > > > the > > > > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > > > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers > and > > > set > > > > a > > > > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are > hesitant > > > to > > > > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent > > feedback > > > > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

No one who wants to give their source away has answered your question. As far as I know, you can't programatically access an STB or CTB file. Jeff's workaround is the best idea I've seen yet. You'll probably spend less time typing up your STB list than trying to find out how to access the files. My interest is in creating STB files for custom color range, I used to do that for PC3 files to create color gradient files. Dan -- ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:406217d5$1_1@newsprd01... > If it can be done with coding then how come no one has the answer yet? >
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

To catch layers that don't match your standard, use a wildcard to change all layers to your default, then change the ones that match your list to the standards. Dan -- ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message news:40621681$1_1@newsprd01... > Good suggestion Dan, however not all of the styles listed in the STB file > match the layer name. I have xrefs (externally generated) with layer names > that are not part of my layer standard so I need to filter out those layers > to a couple different style names which will not match the layer name. > Externally generated drawing which I xref into my drawings have different > layer naming conventions so one xref may have a layer named A-BACK and > another xref may have a layer named A-WALL. Multiply that single layer > difference times 50 layers and it becomes a major amount of work. I would > like both of those layers to go to specified plot style of my choice. I am > using the (command "layer" "PStyle") function in my program but when it > comes to showing a list of available style names in the STB file I have not > found a way to extract that info. I have also not memorized every style > name in the STB file so I would like to extract the names and work with a > list. Any other suggestions? > > > "Dan Allen" wrote in message > news:40620816$1_2@newsprd01... > > Why not just use (command "layer" "PStyle") and set the STB style you want > > for each layer? Maintain a list of either layer names or layer colors that > > gets mapped to a plotstyle. > > > > Alternately from www.acadx.com (which seems to be down today?) > > > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > ;;; from acadx Codemine cm_layers > > ;;; Set plot style for given object (graphic or otherwise, including > layers) > > ;;; NOTE: This can only apply named plot styles as overrides to any > defaults > > ;;; Can't find code for: vlxx-PlotStyle-Exists-p > > ;;; Plot styles aren't assigned unless they have already been set once > > ;;; in the layer dialog > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > (defun vlxx-SetPlotStyle (obj strPstyle) > > (cond > > ( (and > > (= 0 (getvar "pstylemode")); using named plot styles? > > (member strPstyle (massoc 3 (dictsearch (namedobjdict) > > "ACAD_PLOTSTYLENAME"))) > > (vlax-write-enabled-p obj) > > ( vlax-property-available-p obj "PlotStyleName") > > ) > > (vla-put-PlotStyleName obj strPstyle) > > ) > > ) > > ) > > > > Dan > > > > -- > > ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > news:4061fe15$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have > > been > > > using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I have > > with > > > STB technology. Let me explain a little more. > > > > > > I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. I > > > know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to > go > > > into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, > > AutoCAD > > > automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, > > > Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file that > > > AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have > different > > > style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have > the > > > same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is > > > changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned > > style > > > names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then > > > updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB files > I > > > have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program > > that > > > automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the matching > > > style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are > > > externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers > from > > > STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to be > > > able to accomplish that in some sort of way. > > > > > > > > > Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD > > > exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different > uses > > > for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for > > > programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be done > > or > > > not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > > news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies to > > > what > > > > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made the > > damn > > > > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't > know > > > > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers > anyway. > > I > > > > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off > their > > > > programing skills. > > > > > > > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first came > > out > > > > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than > any > > > > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to define > > pen > > > > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > > > > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can assign > > any > > > > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply > > assign > > > > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any > > other > > > > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, so > > any > > > > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style to > > the > > > > same colour. > > > > > > > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to compile > a > > > > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer > > names. > > > > > > > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may be > a > > > > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing > in > > > the > > > > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the > week > > > but > > > > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals > > > between > > > > replies. > > > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > > > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from > 'rthomas' > > on > > > > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no > > solution > > > > to > > > > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot style > > > table > > > > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run > through > > > the > > > > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE missing > > > > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers > and > > > set > > > > a > > > > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are > hesitant > > > to > > > > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent > > feedback > > > > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Mr. Misler:
You are a GENIUS!!
I don't know if your routine will work for Mr. Seiko, but it certainly works for me.
Thank you,
Richard Thomas
Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

Jeff, Thanks for your feedback. I will start with this but I hoping that Autodesk will add this soon. You can access almost everything in AutoCAD...(graphical objects, non-graphical objects, etc.) but not a simple thing like style names in an STB file. Autodesk please add this ablility. Thanks for everyones' responses. "Jeff Mishler" wrote in message news:406227e9_1@newsprd01... > Well, not very elegant and I don't provide for any error handling but this > should work for you. One thing that really needs to be added, but I don't > recall how to do it, is to make sure to delete any existing log file for the > current drawing. > > HTH, > Jeff > > (defun getstylelist (/ fname fH str stylenames) > (setvar "qaflags" 6) > (setvar "logfilemode" 1) > (command "_.-plotstyle" "?" "") > (setvar "logfilemode" 0) > (setvar "qaflags" 0) > (setq fName (findfile (getvar "logfilename"))) > (setq fH (open fname "r")) > (repeat 4 > (read-line fH) > ) > (while (and (setq str (read-line fH)) > (not (= str "")) > ) > (setq stylenames (cons str stylenames)) > ) > (close fH) > (reverse stylenames) > ) > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > news:40621681$1_1@newsprd01... > > Good suggestion Dan, however not all of the styles listed in the STB file > > match the layer name. I have xrefs (externally generated) with layer > names > > that are not part of my layer standard so I need to filter out those > layers > > to a couple different style names which will not match the layer name. > > Externally generated drawing which I xref into my drawings have different > > layer naming conventions so one xref may have a layer named A-BACK and > > another xref may have a layer named A-WALL. Multiply that single layer > > difference times 50 layers and it becomes a major amount of work. I > would > > like both of those layers to go to specified plot style of my choice. I > am > > using the (command "layer" "PStyle") function in my program but when it > > comes to showing a list of available style names in the STB file I have > not > > found a way to extract that info. I have also not memorized every style > > name in the STB file so I would like to extract the names and work with a > > list. Any other suggestions? > > > > > > "Dan Allen" wrote in message > > news:40620816$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Why not just use (command "layer" "PStyle") and set the STB style you > want > > > for each layer? Maintain a list of either layer names or layer colors > that > > > gets mapped to a plotstyle. > > > > > > Alternately from www.acadx.com (which seems to be down today?) > > > > > > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > ;;; from acadx Codemine cm_layers > > > ;;; Set plot style for given object (graphic or otherwise, including > > layers) > > > ;;; NOTE: This can only apply named plot styles as overrides to any > > defaults > > > ;;; Can't find code for: vlxx-PlotStyle-Exists-p > > > ;;; Plot styles aren't assigned unless they have already been set once > > > ;;; in the layer dialog > > > > ;;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > (defun vlxx-SetPlotStyle (obj strPstyle) > > > (cond > > > ( (and > > > (= 0 (getvar "pstylemode")); using named plot styles? > > > (member strPstyle (massoc 3 (dictsearch (namedobjdict) > > > "ACAD_PLOTSTYLENAME"))) > > > (vlax-write-enabled-p obj) > > > ( vlax-property-available-p obj "PlotStyleName") > > > ) > > > (vla-put-PlotStyleName obj strPstyle) > > > ) > > > ) > > > ) > > > > > > Dan > > > > > > -- > > > ;;; For reply, change numbers to decimal > > > > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > > news:4061fe15$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > Thanks for the feedback, however, no one answered the question. I have > > > been > > > > using STB files since they came out. This is the only complaint I > have > > > with > > > > STB technology. Let me explain a little more. > > > > > > > > I would like to convert old CTB based drawings to use STB technology. > I > > > > know the whole story on how to convert these files so we don't need to > > go > > > > into that. However, when you convert the drawings from CTB to STB, > > > AutoCAD > > > > automatically creates style names in the following format...Style_1, > > > > Style_2, etc. Then I would like to change from using the STB file > that > > > > AutoCAD made to a different STB file that I have made which have > > different > > > > style names between the two. All of the STB files I have created have > > the > > > > same style names between them so that is not the issue. The issue is > > > > changing a drawing from a STB file AutoCAD has automatically assigned > > > style > > > > names to a STB file that I have created with different names and then > > > > updating your 300 layer drawing to use the other names. In my STB > files > > I > > > > have created a style for each layer so I would like to write a program > > > that > > > > automatically runs through the layer collection and assigns the > matching > > > > style name to the layer name. This also affects drawings that are > > > > externally generated. If I want to QUICKLY change a drawings layers > > from > > > > STB file A to STB file B (with different style names) I would like to > be > > > > able to accomplish that in some sort of way. > > > > > > > > > > > > Actually it shouldn't matter what my use for this is but that AutoCAD > > > > exposes the style names in a STB file. There could be many different > > uses > > > > for this and I am not about to list all of the advantages for > > > > programmatically listing the style names of an STB file. Can it be > done > > > or > > > > not? Don't respond with why, respond with how? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > > > news:405c4efc$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > It can be done. You just have to know what named plot style applies > to > > > > what > > > > > layer. You don't need to read the stb to do this because you made > the > > > damn > > > > > thing in the first place and if it is someone else's stb, you don't > > know > > > > > what plot style names are supposed to be applied to what layers > > anyway. > > > I > > > > > sometimes think that people want to use VLISP/VBA just to show off > > their > > > > > programing skills. > > > > > > > > > > It may not be the way you want but I used stb's since they first > came > > > out > > > > > and found that assigning plot styles to layers is no different than > > any > > > > > other layer setting. We were old school, using layer colour to > define > > > pen > > > > > width and never tried using layer lineweight settings. > > > > > With a ctb, the layer colour is the key. With the stb, you can > assign > > > any > > > > > named plot style to any layer regardless of layer colour. So simply > > > assign > > > > > the named plot style to the layers the same way that you assign any > > > other > > > > > setting. We used to use named plot styles that were colour numbers, > so > > > any > > > > > time we changed a layer colour, we also added the change plot style > to > > > the > > > > > same colour. > > > > > > > > > > The real key to the whole problem is once again, being able to > compile > > a > > > > > list of layers to apply changes to. It all comes back down to layer > > > names. > > > > > > > > > > If you want to really get into stb's and layers, bring it on. I may > be > > a > > > > > little slow in replying, only really getting on the N.G. first thing > > in > > > > the > > > > > morning from home and only at noon hour from the office during the > > week > > > > but > > > > > if you really want to discuss this, it will not matter the intervals > > > > between > > > > > replies. > > > > > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Mr_Seiko" wrote in message > > > > > news:405b8a1c$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > I am using 2004. I am reposting this question as seen from > > 'rthomas' > > > on > > > > > > 2/17/04. I have been to many different forums and have seen no > > > solution > > > > > to > > > > > > accessing plot style names that are in a layer-dependent plot > style > > > > table > > > > > > (STB) through VLISP/VBA. To not be able to automatically run > > through > > > > the > > > > > > layer table and assign style name from a STB file is a HUGE > missing > > > > > > compenent of AutoCAD. I choose not to run through the 300 layers > > and > > > > set > > > > > a > > > > > > different style name to each layer. I can see why people are > > hesitant > > > > to > > > > > > use the layer-dependent plot style technology. Any intelligent > > > feedback > > > > > > would be appreciated. Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost