Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

path of the added item is too long

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kolasing
5942 Views, 7 Replies

path of the added item is too long

Did anyone else have issues with creating an AutoCAD deployment and "The path of the added item is too long" error message?

I understand that the paths are limited to 255 characters but I tried just a local path and I get the same error.

Under Additional Files in deployment options, I want to add 2 folders under <Installation Directory> and add 2 files under Support folder.

1st folder would be ARG folder for a custom profile xxx.arg file

2nd folder would be Template with a custom template xxx.dwt file

Under Support, I want to browse and add two files: custom accaddoc.lsp and enterprise acad.cuix file.

All of those files reside on a share drive but the paths are about 40 char so I'm way below the limit.

Every time I want to add a folder under <Installation Directory> I receive the error message: 

The path of the added item is too long: "Create New Folder" Please limit this path to -28 characters (currently 17).

So I copied all thos files locally but the same error show up.  Is this a bug?  I can't customize my deplyoment if those files are not available. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: kolasing

This is not an answer to your issue, but a comment if you're interested.

I create all my deployments straight OOTB, without any customization, to avoid issues like this. Then I post process the install at launch time to handle things like support paths, etc. using a local "one-time" acad.lsp, which in turn loads the network "acad.lsp" and everything else.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
johnres
in reply to: rkmcswain

You can use Long Path Tool as well, it works good for such problems.
Message 4 of 8
kc
Participant

Did you get an answer to this? As I have struck the same problem 2 years running now on version 2014 and 2015 for Autodesk Inventor. Link to my recent  Post

Regards

Kent

Message 5 of 8
kolasing
in reply to: kc

I haven't experienced this error in Inventor.  However, I do use some custom templates that I place in the directory after the deployment.  This is the template directory: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Templates. 

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 8
kc
Participant

Thanks Kolasing for your reply.

What you discribed you do after installation is exactly what I had to do last year with Design Academy 2014 (Inventor). Putting the files manually into 100 machines is not much fun, I would have thought this bug would have been picked up by now with the release of 2015 as it wasn't present in Design Academy 2013. I have posted a support case so hopefully they sit up and take notice now. 🙂

Regards

Kent

Message 7 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: kc

Old school is still the best school for simple file management tasks: BAT file.  Can even be run through more modern tools like SCCM so you don't even have to leave your chair.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
kc
Participant

Hi Kolasing,

I ended up logging a support case and finally got an answer back, see below.

This is actually a defect on the coding of the setup file. For the workaround, please perform below suggestion, you may have copy the content of your media onto a HDD as you'll find the setup.ini is write protected :

1. Create a backup for the setup.ini file.

( How ? You may copy the original setup.ini file and paste it to the same location and name it setupbackup.ini )

2. Once the Setupbackup.ini is created, open the setup.ini and look for :

#================Global MSI Properties=================#

[GLOBAL_MSI_PROPERTIES]

3. Modify this value to look as below :  

#================Global MSI Properties=================#

PATH_LENGTH=182

[GLOBAL_MSI_PROPERTIES]

4. Save the setup.ini file and created the deployment again and it should allow you to choose a path in inventor setup.

I hope this solves your problem.

Regards

Kent

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost