OSMODE 1024

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mid-awe
1053 Views, 9 Replies

OSMODE 1024

Hi all,

I have a question to satisfy my own curiosity. I was doing a little reading through the recent (2014) help files and noticed OSMODE 1024. I am wondering what is the use for it? I have always used ( SETVAR 'OSMODE 0); is there actually a case where I would ever need 1024? Smiley Embarassed

Thank you for any comments. 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
paullimapa
in reply to: mid-awe
Message 3 of 10
mid-awe
in reply to: paullimapa

@paullimapa wrote:

do a search & you'll find:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/osmode-bit-codes/td-p/881680

I believe that my question has been minunderstood. 

I use (setvar 'osmode 0) to turn off Object Snaps, It works so well that I can't comprehend why the need for bit code 1024. The documentation says, "1024 = Clears all object snaps". It only seems redundant to me. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 10
mid-awe

The best that I can find with search is:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/osmode-contradictions/td-p/2030269

But I'm still fuzzy on the topic.
Message 5 of 10
paullimapa

Message 6 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@mid-awe wrote:
I use (setvar 'osmode 0) to turn off Object Snaps, It works so well that I can't comprehend why the need for bit code 1024. The documentation says, "1024 = Clears all object snaps". It only seems redundant to me. ....

Back in my ol' 2004 version here, 1024 is listed in the OSMODE System Variable description as the bit code for the Quick mode, but searching Help for that turns up nothing to describe how you would actually use it, and it's not among the modes you can select in the Object Snap tab in the Drafting Settings box.  If I recall from even older versions, I think that if you combine it with some other mode(s) [such as by typing in something like QUI,END,MID], it's supposed to grab the first Endpoint or Midpoint object-snappable location it "sees," without evaluating whether any other(s) may be closer to the selection point.

I don't think I've ever used it in over thirty years of using AutoCAD.  It certainly doesn't seem like something that would mean anything as an OSMODE value all by itself.  When I set OSMODE to 1024 [not with the Osnapmode selection box, since I can't, but with (setvar)], and go to draw something, there's no Osnap Aperture box, and if I assume it's there but off, and hit F3 to turn it on, up comes the Osnap mode-selection tab for me to select some mode(s), with none already selected.  So by itself it does seem to have the effect of clearing other modes -- maybe that's why it's described that way in what you found.  But that's exactly what happens if I set OSMODE to 0, too.  So no, I don't see any use for it, either.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I believe the use is to allow snaps to be disabled temporarily without having to save and reset actual settings, similar to using NONE for the next pick.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 10
mid-awe
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you.
Maybe if we were all not already managing our sysvars then it would make sense for a temporary switch-&-back.

Thank you for confirming that I'm not missing anything.
Message 9 of 10
mid-awe
in reply to: dgorsman

I'm leery to even contemplate a use now. If it was changed once since '04 then it could change again without notice.

Thank you.
Message 10 of 10

The systemvariable osmode is still used in 2014
Its used to set the Object snap modes
In the command bar just enter "osmode"followed by an number.
For example ( this is how i use it )

type --> Osmode
then --> 247

Outcome is that the checkboxes in the Drafting settings menu and tab Object snap are filled in
For 247 that will be
Endpoint / Midpoint / Center / Quadrant / Intersection / Insertion and Perpendicular.

if you enter 1024 all the checkboxes are not checked but object snap is still on ( F3 ) and Object snap tracking is also ON F11

Hope that this answer your question

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost