Did you mean: 

Lisp problem

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jkg
Contributor
309 Views, 13 Replies

Lisp problem

I'm trying to get a lisp routine to work. It is fine on the 64bit Vista machine but I receive the following error when I try to run it on the 32bit XP machine. error: no function definition: VLAX-ENAME->VLA-OBJECT I did not create the lisp routine and I am not a programmer but I find it strange that it works in one case and not the other - all other factors being the same as far as I can tell. Any help will be appreciated
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jkg

it may be that one the function is not loaded.
try typing ( vl-load-com ) at the command line on the machine that does not work
or try typing vlide and then closing it.
Message 3 of 14
jkg
Contributor

WOW - you're a genius! I tried them both with no success the first time but then I tried vlide again and opened the file in question. I closed without saving and it just worked! I don't know exactly what this means though. Will I have to do this each time and on each computer that I have this problem? Edited by: jkg@sdgarch.com on Jun 18, 2009 11:09 PM
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

well Every time I load Autocad I have a file that has ( vl-load-com ) in it ....not in any lisp functions but just in the file.
And i dont need to use vlide editor.

So hopefully if you just add ( vl-load-com ) into the lisp file that runs the program your using. or into your acad####.lsp file under your support folder "####" being your autocad version.
then you should be good.

Give it a try on one machine and test it and we can go from there.
Message 5 of 14
jkg
Contributor

Thanks so much for your help. I ran into a snag. I tested it again and it didn't work this time. I don't know what's going on but I appreciate the help you've provided!
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Is it the exact same problem that you were beginning with?

And how are you running this program?
Message 7 of 14
jkg
Contributor

Yes - same exact problem...
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Im guessing that it may be an order thing.. that the function is not getting loaded in the correct order.
Did you type the (vl-load-com) to make it work or do you HAVE to type vlide.

How are you running this program? by a command at command line or does it run automatically when you start autocad.

Can you give me this program your having trouble with? by email or attach to post.
Message 9 of 14
jkg
Contributor

It didn't work without vlide the first time and I haven't gotten it to work since. I've attached the lisp.
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

This isn't the best solution .. and it may not even work but. try using this one now.
drag it directly onto autocad and then type the command psarea
Message 11 of 14
jkg
Contributor

I tried it - dragged it on but it didn't work. I did however retype the (vl-load-com) command and it appeared to work this time. The psarea command worked after that. I must have typed it in wrong before once and that's why it worked and not the vlide because I tried it a few times after that and no success on the vlide like I had though.
Message 12 of 14
jkg
Contributor

I'd be happy to put the (vl-load-com) command into the lisp routine but I just really don't know how to do it right. I think that it would fix the issue though. I REALLY appreciate all of the help that you've been and if I could impose - would you help do that for the lisp routine?? I'm so grateful!
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Yes well i definetly don't think that vlide is the solution .. you don't want to have to do that on all the computers.
even if it works. its not productive.

In the program you gave me i just added (vl-load-com) but its not the best place for it.

the best way would be to have it in the acad####.lisp file in your support folder. that way its always loaded. And if you get similar programs that use other VisualLisp functions. They will run without this type of problem.

For now to make it simple let me fix it one more time. Use this NEW one ( i changed it again. ) on each machine.. do test it on one. but like you said it sounds like it works.
Message 14 of 14
jkg
Contributor

I looked at the file that you sent. I noticed that there was a space between the parentheses and the actual command. I deleted the space (that's what I kept getting wrong on the command line) and then it worked! So - THANK YOU SO MUCH! You've been such a great help! Have an awesome day - you've just made mine so much better!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost