Did you mean: 

Line command with "from" option?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mid-awe
273 Views, 3 Replies

Line command with "from" option?

Hi all,

I'm doing a little "house cleaning" of some old code this morning and I ran across one so old that I cannot remember what it's for.

(COMMAND "LINE" "FROM")

I run it but it only seems to take more clicks than it's worth. Can anyone remember what the from option is for? It must be FROM before my time 😉

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hmsilva
in reply to: mid-awe

@mid-awe wrote:

Hi all,

I'm doing a little "house cleaning" of some old code this morning and I ran across one so old that I cannot remember what it's for.

(COMMAND "LINE" "FROM")

I run it but it only seems to take more clicks than it's worth. Can anyone remember what the from option is for? It must be FROM before my time 😉

Thank you

Hi mid-awe,

it's not an option "from" the line command, it's the osnap "from"...

The osmap "from" lets you create a temporary base point with the option offset.

Try it, using shift right click.

Henrique

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Gary_J_Orr

@mid-awe wrote:

Hi all,

(COMMAND "LINE" "FROM")

Thank you

It is an "object snap"/command modifier that provides a method of offsetting a point a given distance and angle from a selected point... from the help files:
At a prompt for locating a point, enter from, and then
enter a temporary reference or base point from which you can specify an offset
to locate the next point. Enter the offset location from this base point as a
relative coordinate or use "direct distance entry"

It can come in handy from time to time... if you want to start a line (per your example but there are many applications for it) six units away from a given point on something else then you would type "from", pick the reference point then type "@10,0,0" (or drag your cursor in the "X" direction and type 10 with DDE) to have your point located 10 units along "X" from the selected reference point.

-Gary

Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 4 of 4
mid-awe

Thank you all. Now the messages @ the command prompt make sence Smiley Surprised I would not have guessed that in a million years. It's been long enough that I don't remember using it for anything.

Thank you both for clueing me in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost