Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laymen's Explanations of (logand), (logior) and (boole)

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Anonymous
2614 Views, 32 Replies

Laymen's Explanations of (logand), (logior) and (boole)

I had a really hard time coming to understand what the AutoLisp bit-related (logand), (logior) and
(boole) functions actually DO, despite a lot of trying. I wanted something in English to get around
my lack of experience with programming outside AutoCAD. Help didn't do it for me (nor for a lot of
other people who've wondered about these on Newsgroup threads), or I wouldn't be posting this. I
searched the Newsgroup, and found some links to what ought to have been helpful website articles,
but they all seem to be obsolete. I looked at AfraLisp, Googled, and I was still at a loss, until I
messed with them enough to figure them out (sort of -- see below). But having figured at least most
of it out, I'm putting these Laymen's Explanations on record for the sake of others who, I hope,
will be able to find this a useful route into being able to USE these functions. They can be very
useful in the right situations, but I never used them until recently, because I didn't "get" how
they worked.

Preface:

All integers can be expressed as a unique sum of powers of 2, expressed here in the form
2-to-the-X-power = 2^X. For example,
7 = 1 + 2 + 4 [or 2^0 + 2^1 + 2^2]
42 = 2 + 8 + 32 [or 2^1 + 2^3 + 2^5]
64 = 64 [only, because it *is* a power of 2, namely 2^6]
etc.

This system is used to store things like AutoCAD System Variables that can be made of various
combinations of values, such as OSMODE, *because* of the fact that every value represents a unique
combination -- each Osnap mode is assigned a value that is a power of 2, and any possible
combination of Osnap modes is represented by its own unique sum.

Consider integers in terms of the collection of power-of-2 components, otherwise known as bits, that
make them up. [I will use the power-of-2 values themselves, because one finds them referred to with
different "bit numbers" in some sources, e.g. 8 seems to be called "bit 3" in some places, because
it's 2^3, and "bit 4" in other places, because it's represented by a 1 in the 4th position from the
right in a binary number.]

The "log" in (logand) and (logior) stands for "logical bitwise," meaning basically "when considered
in terms of the component bit values that make up the integers in question." "Boole" is the name of
a mathematician who's memorialized in a system of logical operations.

Laymen's explanation of (logand):

The "and" stands for the logical or Boolean "and" function, which [in AutoLisp-type terms] returns
True only if *every* thing being looked at has the characteristic being tested for -- this *and*
that *and* the other thing are *all* True, so the "and" combination is, too. If any of them are
*not* True, then neither is the combination.
The (logand) function, when applied to a set of integers is asking the question: "What power-of-2
component bits are a part of the makeup of *all* of these integers?" It returns an integer that is
the *sum* of all of those bits shared by *all* of the numbers being looked at.
So, to use Help's examples:
(logand 7 15 3) returns 3, because *all* of those numbers [1+2+4, 1+2+4+8, 1+2] are made up of
combinations that include a 1 and a 2 [which together constitute the 3 that is returned], and those
are the only bits that are contained in all of those numbers.
(logand 2 3 15) returns 2, because those numbers all have the 2 bit in them, and no others in
common.
(logand 8 3 4) return 0, because those numbers [8, 1+2, 4] share no common bits.
This can be used, for example, to determine whether a particular Object Snap mode is set. For
example, Intersection is represented by 32, so if the value of OSMODE is the sum of a combination of
bits that includes 32, then Intersection mode is set. The question is: "Do the number 32 and the
value of OSMODE share any bits?" [Since 32 is itself a power of 2, it's the only one they can
possibly share.] Or, in AutoLisp terms:
(logand 32 (getvar 'osmode))
That will return 32 if they do, that is, if Intersection mode is set, because 32 is the sum of all
the bits the two number share.
You can also look at combinations. For example, Endpoint is 1 and Midpoint is 2; you can ask
whether the sum of those [3] and OSMODE share any bits, the same way:
(logand 3 (getvar 'osmode))
If that returns 1, then Endpoint is set, but not Midpoint; if it returns 2, it's the other way
around; and if it returns 3, both are set.

Laymen's explanation of (logior):

The "ior" part stands for the Boolean "inclusive or" [sometimes just called "or"] function, which
returns True if *any* thing being looked at has the characteristic being tested for -- this *or*
that *or* the other thing is True, so the "or" combination is, too. It's only if *none* of them are
True that the combination therefore is not, either. It's "inclusive" because it includes the
possibility that *more than one* thing may be True, as opposed to the "exclusive or" function which
is True only if *just one* of the things being looked at is True, but *not* more than one of them.
The (logior) function, when applied to a set of integers is asking the question: "What power-of-2
component bits are a part of the makeup of *any* of these integers?" It returns an integer that is
the sum of all of those bits included in *any* the numbers being looked at.
(logior 1 2 4) returns 7, because 1, 2, and 4 [which add up to 7] are all contained in at least one
of those numbers [and happen, in this case, to *be* the numbers themselves, which share no common
bits].
(logior 9 3) returns 11, because 9 = 1+8 and 3=1+2, so together they involve 1 [which happens to be
part of both of them, but doesn't get counted twice], 2, and 8, and those three bits add up to 11.

Laymen's explanation of (boole) [for two-integer comparisons]:

The operator bits in Help's "truth table," which are added together to make the 'operator' argument
in the function, are asking:
1 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of both of the integers being looked at?" The returned
integer includes that bit value if it's included in both.
2 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of the first number but not of the second?" The
returned integer includes that bit value if that's the case.
4 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of the second number but not of the first?" The
8 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of *neither* number?" The returned integer includes
that bit value if it's not in either.
(Boole 1 12 5) returns 4. The 1 operator is asking for bit values that are part of both 12 and 5.
They both include a 4, but have no other common bits, so 4 is returned.
(Boole 6 6 5) returns 3. The 6 operator = 2+4. The 2 component of that is looking for bits that
are part of the 6 but not part of the 5, and bit value 2 fits that description. The 4 component is
looking for bits that are part of the 5 but not of the 6, and bit value 1 fits that description.
[The 4 that is part of both numbers satisfies neither test.] The returned 3 is the sum of the 2 and
the 1 that those two components of the operator found.
(Boole 4 3 14) returns 12. The 4 operator is looking for bits that are part of the 14 but not of
the 3, and finds bit values 4 and 8. The 14 includes a 2, but since that's also part of 3, it isn't
included in the returned sum of 12.
The specific operator 6, as in (boole 6 x y), can be used to toggle bit values on and off in things
like System Variables, because if it finds a shared bit value, it doesn't include that in its
returned integer, but if it finds a value that's only in one number, it does include that. For
example, if you want to toggle Intersection mode [represented by 32] on or off within OSMODE, you
can do this [an approach found in many Newsgroup threads]:
(setvar 'osmode (boole 6 32 (getvar 'osmode)))
What it's doing is looking [with the 2 component of the 6 operator] for bit values that are in 32
but are not in OSMODE, and [with the 4 component] for bit values that are in OSMODE but are not in
32. [Combined, that's the "exclusive or" function -- looking for things that are in either one, but
not both.] If Intersection is set, the first check will *not* be satisfied, because 32 will be part
of *both* numbers. So the return will *not* include a 32, and Intersection will be removed from the
OSMODE combination. But the second check will find all the bit values that are in OSMODE but not in
32, which will include all other modes that are set, so the return will still include all of those.
If, on the other hand, Intersection is *not* set, the first check *will* be satisfed, because 32 is
part of only the first number checked. So the return will include a 32 [along with, again, all the
other values found by the second check], and Intersection will be *added* into the OSMODE
combination.

Questions arise about (boole) for more than two integers:

Help for (boole) implies at the beginning that you can look at *more than two* integers, but none of
its examples do, its truth table doesn't seem to allow for it, and no examples I found anywhere else
do. I have my suspicions about how that works, but welcome any better information:

(boole 1 a b c d) seems to find bits that are common to all the integers listed, but it's not really
"needed" because it's the equivalent of (logand a b c d):
(boole 1 1 3 5 7 9) returns 1, because that's the one bit value shared by all the numbers; some
other bits are shared by some, but not all, numbers;
(boole 1 3 5 12) returns 0, because while all the numbers share a bit with one of the others, no bit
is common to all.

(boole 2 a b c d) seems to find, as expected, bit values that are in the first integer, but in
*none* of the rest:
(boole 2 6 10 18) returns 4, which is in 6 and not in the others, but the 2 part of the 6 is in both
the others;
(boole 2 6 10 37) returns 0, because the 2 that's part of the 6 is also part of the 10, and the 4 in
it is part of the 37, so both bit values that make up the first number are disqualified. And since
the 37 is the third number, I infer that it is indeed looking at all numbers, not just the first two
as the truth table seems to imply.

(boole 4 a b c d) however, seems *not* to do what I expected, namely look for bits that are in the
last number but none of the others:
(boole 4 9 24 33 6) returns 6 as I expected, because none of the other numbers has the 2 or 4 bit
that make up that 6. That suggests that it is indeed the *last* number it's comparing the others to
[rather than the second, as in two-number comparisons], simply because none of the others can
contribute to that result. But:
(boole 4 15 24 33 6) also returns 6, despite the fact that the 15 contains both the 4 and 2 bit
values. However,
(boole 4 24 33 15 6) returns 0, suggesting that it compares the last number *only to the
next-to-last number,* and ignores the rest. Why this isn't analagous to the way the 2 operator
works, in reverse, I can't guess.

I was hoping that (boole 6 a b c) would function as a more-than-two-number "exclusive or" function,
finding bit values that are part of only one of the integers compared, however many there are. And
sometimes that seems to work, for example:
(boole 6 2 5 12) returns 11 -- 1 is part of only the 5, 2 is part of only the 2, [4 doesn't count
because it's part of both the 5 and the 12,] and 8 is part of only the 12; the result is 1+2+8 = 11.
Also, using (a b c) values involving one 1 and two 0's, in any combination, returns 1 [if any one of
the three includes 1, but not more than one of them, then 1 is part of the returned value], and one
0 and two 1's in any combination returns 0 [not 1, because 1 is part of more than one of the
integers]. But:
(boole 6 2 5 12 37 40) returns 6, which should mean that 2 and 4 are in only one number each. 1 is
in two of them, 2 is part of only the 2 [that's good], 8 is in two of them, 16 isn't in any of them,
and 32 is in two of them. But 4 is a part of the 5 and the 12 and the 37, so it "shouldn't" be part
of the returned value. If anyone knows anything about the "thought process" here, I'd appreciate
hearing about it.

An interesting thing happens with (boole 8), which Help does not use in any examples. If it's
looking for bit values that are not part of either integer (or any of them, if more than two are
compared), in theory it *could* accept all bit values higher than the highest integer, off to
infinity! But it doesn't do that. In two-number comparisons, it seems to find bits that are not
part of either number, and add them up [so far so good], then *subtract* the next bit-value beyond
the highest integer, and not look any further:
(boole 8 5 9) returns -14; 1, 4 and 8 are disqualified because they're part of at least one of the
integers, but 2 isn't, so it qualifies; 16 is the next bit value above 9; 2-16 = -14.
I haven't been able to find any pattern to suggest how it reaches a result from comparing more than
two numbers this way. But all the ones I've tried are positive, rather than negative as in
two-integer comparisons. Any ideas?

--
Kent Cooper
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
devitg
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Kent , as you say do and extensive search, maybe it was hidden somewhere in the net

http://ronleigh.info/autolisp/afude19.htm

Maybe it can help you .
Message 3 of 33
Anonymous

With all due respect, your layman's explaination is as clear
as mud 🙂

The concept is very easily understood when the explaination
uses base-2 or binary notation along side base-10 notation:

face="Courier New">      Decimal   
Binary

7   00000111

12   00001100

And then, to illustrate binary
math:

face="Courier New">           
12   00001100
    AND     
5   00000101

--------------------------

12    00001100
    OR 
    5    00000101

13    00001101

In this context, each digit in a
binary number is called a 'bit'.

With that understood, looking at the
above makes it very easy to understand that "AND" means that each bit in the
output is 1, if the corresponding bits in both inputs are 1, and that "OR" means
that each bit in the output is 1, if either (or both) cooresponding bits in each
of the two inputs is 1. 

In other words, you illustrate the basic
concept in the same way you would do simple math with two numbers on paper, one
digit at a time.

Never mind the exponential, or 'power of 2' gibberish,
and the '+' operator, as that only makes the whole matter even more confusing to
a beginner, who doesn't think about numbers in terms of exponents.

BTW, there is plenty of stuff on this out there on the
.NET.  Searching on 'Boolean' and 'bitwise' will turn up a lot of useful
hits.

--

http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through
http://www.acadxtabs.com

"Kent Cooper"
<kcooper@schwamarchitects.com> wrote in message
news:5882774@discussion.autodesk.com...
I had a really hard time coming to
understand what the AutoLisp bit-related (logand), (logior) and
(boole)
functions actually DO, despite a lot of trying.  I wanted something in
English to get around
my lack of experience with programming outside
AutoCAD.  Help didn't do it for me (nor for a lot of
other people
who've wondered about these on Newsgroup threads), or I wouldn't be posting
this.  I
searched the Newsgroup, and found some links to what ought to
have been helpful website articles,
but they all seem to be obsolete. 
I looked at AfraLisp, Googled, and I was still at a loss, until I
messed
with them enough to figure them out (sort of -- see below).  But having
figured at least most
of it out, I'm putting these Laymen's Explanations on
record for the sake of others who, I hope,
will be able to find this a
useful route into being able to USE these functions.  They can be very

useful in the right situations, but I never used them until recently,
because I didn't "get" how
they worked.

Preface:

All integers
can be expressed as a unique sum of powers of 2, expressed here in the form

2-to-the-X-power = 2^X.  For example,
7 = 1 + 2 + 4 [or 2^0 + 2^1 +
2^2]
64 = 64 [only, because it *is* a
power of 2, namely 2^6]
etc.

This system is used to store things like
AutoCAD System Variables that can be made of various
combinations of values,
such as OSMODE, *because* of the fact that every value represents a unique

combination -- each Osnap mode is assigned a value that is a power of 2, and
any possible
combination of Osnap modes is represented by its own unique
sum.

Consider integers in terms of the collection of power-of-2
components, otherwise known as bits, that
make them up.  [I will use
the power-of-2 values themselves, because one finds them referred to with

different "bit numbers" in some sources, e.g. 8 seems to be called "bit 3"
in some places, because
it's 2^3, and "bit 4" in other places, because it's
represented by a 1 in the 4th position from the
right in a binary
number.]

The "log" in (logand) and (logior) stands for "logical bitwise,"
meaning basically "when considered
in terms of the component bit values that
make up the integers in question."  "Boole" is the name of
a
mathematician who's memorialized in a system of logical
operations.

The "and" stands for
the logical or Boolean "and" function, which [in AutoLisp-type terms] returns

True only if *every* thing being looked at has the characteristic being
tested for -- this *and*
that *and* the other thing are *all* True, so the
"and" combination is, too.  If any of them are
*not* True, then neither
is the combination.
The (logand) function, when applied to a set of integers
is asking the question:  "What power-of-2
component bits are a part of
the makeup of *all* of these integers?"  It returns an integer that is

the *sum* of all of those bits shared by *all* of the numbers being looked
at.
(logand 7 15 3) returns 3, because *all*
of those numbers [1+2+4, 1+2+4+8, 1+2] are made up of
combinations that
include a 1 and a 2 [which together constitute the 3 that is returned], and
those
are the only bits that are contained in all of those
numbers.
(logand 2 3 15) returns 2, because those numbers all have the 2 bit
in them, and no others in
common.
(logand 8 3 4) return 0, because those
numbers [8, 1+2, 4] share no common bits.
This can be used, for example, to
determine whether a particular Object Snap mode is set.  For
example,
Intersection is represented by 32, so if the value of OSMODE is the sum of a
combination of
bits that includes 32, then Intersection mode is set. 
The question is:  "Do the number 32 and the
value of OSMODE share any
bits?"  [Since 32 is itself a power of 2, it's the only one they can

possibly share.]  Or, in AutoLisp terms:
(logand 32 (getvar
'osmode))
That will return 32 if they do, that is, if Intersection mode is
set, because 32 is the sum of all
You can
also look at combinations.  For example, Endpoint is 1 and Midpoint is 2;
you can ask
whether the sum of those [3] and OSMODE share any bits, the same
way:
If that returns 1, then Endpoint is set,
but not Midpoint; if it returns 2, it's the other way
around; and if it
returns 3, both are set.

The
"ior" part stands for the Boolean "inclusive or" [sometimes just called "or"]
function, which
returns True if *any* thing being looked at has the
characteristic being tested for -- this *or*
that *or* the other thing is
True, so the "or" combination is, too.  It's only if *none* of them are

True that the combination therefore is not, either.  It's "inclusive"
because it includes the
possibility that *more than one* thing may be True,
as opposed to the "exclusive or" function which
is True only if *just one*
of the things being looked at is True, but *not* more than one of them.
The
(logior) function, when applied to a set of integers is asking the
question:  "What power-of-2
component bits are a part of the makeup of
*any* of these integers?"  It returns an integer that is
the sum of all
of those bits included in *any* the numbers being looked at.
So, to use
Help's examples:
(logior 1 2 4) returns 7, because 1, 2, and 4 [which add up
to 7] are all contained in at least one
of those numbers [and happen, in
this case, to *be* the numbers themselves, which share no common

bits].
(logior 9 3) returns 11, because 9 = 1+8 and 3=1+2, so together
they involve 1 [which happens to be
part of both of them, but doesn't get
counted twice], 2, and 8, and those three bits add up to 11.

Laymen's
explanation of (boole) [for two-integer comparisons]:

The operator bits
in Help's "truth table," which are added together to make the 'operator'
argument
1 -- "For each bit value, is that
bit a part of both of the integers being looked at?"  The returned

2 -- "For each
bit value, is that bit a part of the first number but not of the second?" 
The
4 --
"For each bit value, is that bit a part of the second number but not of the
first?"  The
returned integer includes that bit value if that's the
case.
8 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of *neither*
number?"  The returned integer includes
that bit value if it's not in
either.
(Boole 1 12 5) returns 4.  The 1
operator is asking for bit values that are part of both 12 and 5.
They both
include a 4, but have no other common bits, so 4 is returned.
(Boole 6 6 5)
returns 3.  The 6 operator = 2+4.  The 2 component of that is looking
for bits that
are part of the 6 but not part of the 5, and bit value 2 fits
that description.  The 4 component is
looking for bits that are part of
the 5 but not of the 6, and bit value 1 fits that description.
[The 4 that
is part of both numbers satisfies neither test.]  The returned 3 is the sum
of the 2 and
the 1 that those two components of the operator
found.
(Boole 4 3 14) returns 12.  The 4 operator is looking for bits
that are part of the 14 but not of
the 3, and finds bit values 4 and
8.  The 14 includes a 2, but since that's also part of 3, it isn't

The specific operator 6, as in (boole
6 x y), can be used to toggle bit values on and off in things
like System
Variables, because if it finds a shared bit value, it doesn't include that in
its
returned integer, but if it finds a value that's only in one number, it
does include that.  For
example, if you want to toggle Intersection
mode [represented by 32] on or off within OSMODE, you
can do this [an
approach found in many Newsgroup threads]:
(setvar 'osmode (boole 6 32
(getvar 'osmode)))
What it's doing is looking [with the 2 component of the 6
operator] for bit values that are in 32
but are not in OSMODE, and [with the
4 component] for bit values that are in OSMODE but are not in
[Combined, that's the "exclusive or" function -- looking for things that are in
either one, but
not both.]  If Intersection is set, the first check
will *not* be satisfied, because 32 will be part
of *both* numbers.  So
the return will *not* include a 32, and Intersection will be removed from the

OSMODE combination.  But the second check will find all the bit values
that are in OSMODE but not in
32, which will include all other modes that
are set, so the return will still include all of those.
If, on the other
hand, Intersection is *not* set, the first check *will* be satisfed, because 32
is
part of only the first number checked.  So the return will include a
32 [along with, again, all the
other values found by the second check], and
Intersection will be *added* into the OSMODE
combination.

Questions
arise about (boole) for more than two integers:

Help for (boole) implies
at the beginning that you can look at *more than two* integers, but none of

its examples do, its truth table doesn't seem to allow for it, and no
examples I found anywhere else
do.  I have my suspicions about how that
works, but welcome any better information:

(boole 1 a b c d) seems to
find bits that are common to all the integers listed, but it's not really

(boole 1 1 3 5
7 9) returns 1, because that's the one bit value shared by all the numbers; some

(boole 1 3 5 12)
returns 0, because while all the numbers share a bit with one of the others, no
bit
is common to all.

(boole 2 a b c d) seems to find, as expected,
bit values that are in the first integer, but in
*none* of the
rest:
(boole 2 6 10 18) returns 4, which is in 6 and not in the others, but
the 2 part of the 6 is in both
the others;
(boole 2 6 10 37) returns 0,
because the 2 that's part of the 6 is also part of the 10, and the 4 in
it
is part of the 37, so both bit values that make up the first number are
disqualified.  And since
the 37 is the third number, I infer that it is
indeed looking at all numbers, not just the first two
as the truth table
seems to imply.

(boole 4 a b c d) however, seems *not* to do what I
expected, namely look for bits that are in the
last number but none of the
others:
(boole 4 9 24 33 6) returns 6 as I expected, because none of the
other numbers has the 2 or 4 bit
that make up that 6.  That suggests
that it is indeed the *last* number it's comparing the others to
[rather
than the second, as in two-number comparisons], simply because none of the
others can
contribute to that result.  But:
(boole 4 15 24 33 6)
also returns 6, despite the fact that the 15 contains both the 4 and 2 bit

values.  However,
(boole 4 24 33 15 6) returns 0, suggesting that it
compares the last number *only to the
next-to-last number,* and ignores the
rest.  Why this isn't analagous to the way the 2 operator
works, in
reverse, I can't guess.

I was hoping that (boole 6 a b c) would function
as a more-than-two-number "exclusive or" function,
finding bit values that
are part of only one of the integers compared, however many there are.  And

(boole 6 2 5 12) returns 11 --
1 is part of only the 5, 2 is part of only the 2, [4 doesn't count
because
it's part of both the 5 and the 12,] and 8 is part of only the 12; the result is
1+2+8 = 11.
Also, using (a b c) values involving one 1 and two 0's, in any
combination, returns 1 [if any one of
the three includes 1, but not more
than one of them, then 1 is part of the returned value], and one
0 and two
1's in any combination returns 0 [not 1, because 1 is part of more than one of
the
integers].  But:
(boole 6 2 5 12 37 40) returns 6, which should
mean that 2 and 4 are in only one number each.  1 is
in two of them, 2
is part of only the 2 [that's good], 8 is in two of them, 16 isn't in any of
them,
and 32 is in two of them.  But 4 is a part of the 5 and the 12
and the 37, so it "shouldn't" be part
of the returned value.  If anyone
knows anything about the "thought process" here, I'd appreciate
hearing
about it.

An interesting thing happens with (boole 8), which Help does
not use in any examples.  If it's
looking for bit values that are not
part of either integer (or any of them, if more than two are
compared), in
theory it *could* accept all bit values higher than the highest integer, off to

infinity!  But it doesn't do that.  In two-number comparisons, it
seems to find bits that are not
part of either number, and add them up [so
far so good], then *subtract* the next bit-value beyond
the highest integer,
and not look any further:
(boole 8 5 9) returns -14; 1, 4 and 8 are
disqualified because they're part of at least one of the
integers, but 2
isn't, so it qualifies; 16 is the next bit value above 9; 2-16 = -14.
I
haven't been able to find any pattern to suggest how it reaches a result from
comparing more than
two numbers this way.  But all the ones I've tried
are positive, rather than negative as in
two-integer comparisons.  Any
ideas?

--
Kent Cooper
Message 4 of 33
Anonymous

>> "With that understood, looking at the above makes it very easy to understand..."

sorry, you may have to look at it in HTML or a non-proportional font, so the digits line up.

--

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD 2008
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2008

"Tony Tanzillo" wrote in message news:5882965@discussion.autodesk.com...
With all due respect, your layman's explaination is as clear as mud 🙂

The concept is very easily understood when the explaination uses base-2 or binary notation along side base-10 notation:

Decimal Binary

1 00000001
2 00000010
3 00000011
4 00000100
7 00000111
12 00001100

And then, to illustrate binary math:

12 00001100
AND 5 00000101
4 00000100

12 00001100
OR 5 00000101
13 00001101

In this context, each digit in a binary number is called a 'bit'.

With that understood, looking at the above makes it very easy to understand that "AND" means that each bit in the output is 1, if the corresponding bits in both inputs are 1, and that "OR" means that each bit in the output is 1, if either (or both) cooresponding bits in each of the two inputs is 1.

In other words, you illustrate the basic concept in the same way you would do simple math with two numbers on paper, one digit at a time.

Never mind the exponential, or 'power of 2' gibberish, and the '+' operator, as that only makes the whole matter even more confusing to a beginner, who doesn't think about numbers in terms of exponents.

BTW, there is plenty of stuff on this out there on the .NET. Searching on 'Boolean' and 'bitwise' will turn up a lot of useful hits.

--

"Kent Cooper" wrote in message news:5882774@discussion.autodesk.com...
I had a really hard time coming to understand what the AutoLisp bit-related (logand), (logior) and
(boole) functions actually DO, despite a lot of trying. I wanted something in English to get around
my lack of experience with programming outside AutoCAD. Help didn't do it for me (nor for a lot of
other people who've wondered about these on Newsgroup threads), or I wouldn't be posting this. I
searched the Newsgroup, and found some links to what ought to have been helpful website articles,
but they all seem to be obsolete. I looked at AfraLisp, Googled, and I was still at a loss, until I
messed with them enough to figure them out (sort of -- see below). But having figured at least most
of it out, I'm putting these Laymen's Explanations on record for the sake of others who, I hope,
will be able to find this a useful route into being able to USE these functions. They can be very
useful in the right situations, but I never used them until recently, because I didn't "get" how
they worked.

Preface:

All integers can be expressed as a unique sum of powers of 2, expressed here in the form
2-to-the-X-power = 2^X. For example,
7 = 1 + 2 + 4 [or 2^0 + 2^1 + 2^2]
64 = 64 [only, because it *is* a power of 2, namely 2^6]
etc.

This system is used to store things like AutoCAD System Variables that can be made of various
combinations of values, such as OSMODE, *because* of the fact that every value represents a unique
combination -- each Osnap mode is assigned a value that is a power of 2, and any possible
combination of Osnap modes is represented by its own unique sum.

Consider integers in terms of the collection of power-of-2 components, otherwise known as bits, that
make them up. [I will use the power-of-2 values themselves, because one finds them referred to with
different "bit numbers" in some sources, e.g. 8 seems to be called "bit 3" in some places, because
it's 2^3, and "bit 4" in other places, because it's represented by a 1 in the 4th position from the
right in a binary number.]

The "log" in (logand) and (logior) stands for "logical bitwise," meaning basically "when considered
in terms of the component bit values that make up the integers in question." "Boole" is the name of
a mathematician who's memorialized in a system of logical operations.

The "and" stands for the logical or Boolean "and" function, which [in AutoLisp-type terms] returns
True only if *every* thing being looked at has the characteristic being tested for -- this *and*
that *and* the other thing are *all* True, so the "and" combination is, too. If any of them are
*not* True, then neither is the combination.
The (logand) function, when applied to a set of integers is asking the question: "What power-of-2
component bits are a part of the makeup of *all* of these integers?" It returns an integer that is
the *sum* of all of those bits shared by *all* of the numbers being looked at.
(logand 7 15 3) returns 3, because *all* of those numbers [1+2+4, 1+2+4+8, 1+2] are made up of
combinations that include a 1 and a 2 [which together constitute the 3 that is returned], and those
are the only bits that are contained in all of those numbers.
(logand 2 3 15) returns 2, because those numbers all have the 2 bit in them, and no others in
common.
(logand 8 3 4) return 0, because those numbers [8, 1+2, 4] share no common bits.
This can be used, for example, to determine whether a particular Object Snap mode is set. For
example, Intersection is represented by 32, so if the value of OSMODE is the sum of a combination of
bits that includes 32, then Intersection mode is set. The question is: "Do the number 32 and the
value of OSMODE share any bits?" [Since 32 is itself a power of 2, it's the only one they can
possibly share.] Or, in AutoLisp terms:
(logand 32 (getvar 'osmode))
That will return 32 if they do, that is, if Intersection mode is set, because 32 is the sum of all
You can also look at combinations. For example, Endpoint is 1 and Midpoint is 2; you can ask
whether the sum of those [3] and OSMODE share any bits, the same way:
If that returns 1, then Endpoint is set, but not Midpoint; if it returns 2, it's the other way
around; and if it returns 3, both are set.

The "ior" part stands for the Boolean "inclusive or" [sometimes just called "or"] function, which
returns True if *any* thing being looked at has the characteristic being tested for -- this *or*
that *or* the other thing is True, so the "or" combination is, too. It's only if *none* of them are
True that the combination therefore is not, either. It's "inclusive" because it includes the
possibility that *more than one* thing may be True, as opposed to the "exclusive or" function which
is True only if *just one* of the things being looked at is True, but *not* more than one of them.
The (logior) function, when applied to a set of integers is asking the question: "What power-of-2
component bits are a part of the makeup of *any* of these integers?" It returns an integer that is
the sum of all of those bits included in *any* the numbers being looked at.
(logior 1 2 4) returns 7, because 1, 2, and 4 [which add up to 7] are all contained in at least one
of those numbers [and happen, in this case, to *be* the numbers themselves, which share no common
bits].
(logior 9 3) returns 11, because 9 = 1+8 and 3=1+2, so together they involve 1 [which happens to be
part of both of them, but doesn't get counted twice], 2, and 8, and those three bits add up to 11.

Laymen's explanation of (boole) [for two-integer comparisons]:

The operator bits in Help's "truth table," which are added together to make the 'operator' argument
1 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of both of the integers being looked at?" The returned
2 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of the first number but not of the second?" The
4 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of the second number but not of the first?" The
8 -- "For each bit value, is that bit a part of *neither* number?" The returned integer includes
that bit value if it's not in either.
(Boole 1 12 5) returns 4. The 1 operator is asking for bit values that are part of both 12 and 5.
They both include a 4, but have no other common bits, so 4 is returned.
(Boole 6 6 5) returns 3. The 6 operator = 2+4. The 2 component of that is looking for bits that
are part of the 6 but not part of the 5, and bit value 2 fits that description. The 4 component is
looking for bits that are part of the 5 but not of the 6, and bit value 1 fits that description.
[The 4 that is part of both numbers satisfies neither test.] The returned 3 is the sum of the 2 and
the 1 that those two components of the operator found.
(Boole 4 3 14) returns 12. The 4 operator is looking for bits that are part of the 14 but not of
the 3, and finds bit values 4 and 8. The 14 includes a 2, but since that's also part of 3, it isn't
The specific operator 6, as in (boole 6 x y), can be used to toggle bit values on and off in things
like System Variables, because if it finds a shared bit value, it doesn't include that in its
returned integer, but if it finds a value that's only in one number, it does include that. For
example, if you want to toggle Intersection mode [represented by 32] on or off within OSMODE, you
can do this [an approach found in many Newsgroup threads]:
(setvar 'osmode (boole 6 32 (getvar 'osmode)))
What it's doing is looking [with the 2 component of the 6 operator] for bit values that are in 32
but are not in OSMODE, and [with the 4 component] for bit values that are in OSMODE but are not in
32. [Combined, that's the "exclusive or" function -- looking for things that are in either one, but
not both.] If Intersection is set, the first check will *not* be satisfied, because 32 will be part
of *both* numbers. So the return will *not* include a 32, and Intersection will be removed from the
OSMODE combination. But the second check will find all the bit values that are in OSMODE but not in
32, which will include all other modes that are set, so the return will still include all of those.
If, on the other hand, Intersection is *not* set, the first check *will* be satisfed, because 32 is
part of only the first number checked. So the return will include a 32 [along with, again, all the
other values found by the second check], and Intersection will be *added* into the OSMODE
combination.

Questions arise about (boole) for more than two integers:

Help for (boole) implies at the beginning that you can look at *more than two* integers, but none of
its examples do, its truth table doesn't seem to allow for it, and no examples I found anywhere else
do. I have my suspicions about how that works, but welcome any better information:

(boole 1 a b c d) seems to find bits that are common to all the integers listed, but it's not really
(boole 1 1 3 5 7 9) returns 1, because that's the one bit value shared by all the numbers; some
(boole 1 3 5 12) returns 0, because while all the numbers share a bit with one of the others, no bit
is common to all.

(boole 2 a b c d) seems to find, as expected, bit values that are in the first integer, but in
*none* of the rest:
(boole 2 6 10 18) returns 4, which is in 6 and not in the others, but the 2 part of the 6 is in both
the others;
(boole 2 6 10 37) returns 0, because the 2 that's part of the 6 is also part of the 10, and the 4 in
it is part of the 37, so both bit values that make up the first number are disqualified. And since
the 37 is the third number, I infer that it is indeed looking at all numbers, not just the first two
as the truth table seems to imply.

(boole 4 a b c d) however, seems *not* to do what I expected, namely look for bits that are in the
last number but none of the others:
(boole 4 9 24 33 6) returns 6 as I expected, because none of the other numbers has the 2 or 4 bit
that make up that 6. That suggests that it is indeed the *last* number it's comparing the others to
[rather than the second, as in two-number comparisons], simply because none of the others can
contribute to that result. But:
(boole 4 15 24 33 6) also returns 6, despite the fact that the 15 contains both the 4 and 2 bit
values. However,
(boole 4 24 33 15 6) returns 0, suggesting that it compares the last number *only to the
next-to-last number,* and ignores the rest. Why this isn't analagous to the way the 2 operator
works, in reverse, I can't guess.

I was hoping that (boole 6 a b c) would function as a more-than-two-number "exclusive or" function,
finding bit values that are part of only one of the integers compared, however many there are. And
(boole 6 2 5 12) returns 11 -- 1 is part of only the 5, 2 is part of only the 2, [4 doesn't count
because it's part of both the 5 and the 12,] and 8 is part of only the 12; the result is 1+2+8 = 11.
Also, using (a b c) values involving one 1 and two 0's, in any combination, returns 1 [if any one of
the three includes 1, but not more than one of them, then 1 is part of the returned value], and one
0 and two 1's in any combination returns 0 [not 1, because 1 is part of more than one of the
integers]. But:
(boole 6 2 5 12 37 40) returns 6, which should mean that 2 and 4 are in only one number each. 1 is
in two of them, 2 is part of only the 2 [that's good], 8 is in two of them, 16 isn't in any of them,
and 32 is in two of them. But 4 is a part of the 5 and the 12 and the 37, so it "shouldn't" be part
of the returned value. If anyone knows anything about the "thought process" here, I'd appreciate
hearing about it.

An interesting thing happens with (boole 8), which Help does not use in any examples. If it's
looking for bit values that are not part of either integer (or any of them, if more than two are
compared), in theory it *could* accept all bit values higher than the highest integer, off to
infinity! But it doesn't do that. In two-number comparisons, it seems to find bits that are not
part of either number, and add them up [so far so good], then *subtract* the next bit-value beyond
the highest integer, and not look any further:
(boole 8 5 9) returns -14; 1, 4 and 8 are disqualified because they're part of at least one of the
integers, but 2 isn't, so it qualifies; 16 is the next bit value above 9; 2-16 = -14.
I haven't been able to find any pattern to suggest how it reaches a result from comparing more than
two numbers this way. But all the ones I've tried are positive, rather than negative as in
two-integer comparisons. Any ideas?

--
Kent Cooper
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous

Command: (boole 6 1 2 4 😎

Command: (boole 6 2 3 5 9)

Command: (boole 6 2 3 5)

Command: (boole 6 2 3)

Command: (boole 6 (boole 6 2 3) 5)

Command: (boole 6 (boole 6 (boole 6 2 3) 5) 9)
Message 6 of 33
stevor

Another text of Tony's examples:

1 00000001
2 00000010
3 00000011
4 00000100
7 00000111
12 00001100

Math:

12 00001100
AND
5 00000101
----------------
4 00000100

12 00001100
OR
5 00000101
----------------
13 00001101
S
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous

Thank you for posting, but this has the same problem for me and others like me that AutoLisp Help
has -- it doesn't *say enough* about what it's illustrating for schmucks like me without other
programming background to get a handle on it. A few choice *words* would go a very long way, which
is what I was trying to do in my post.

But looking at it long enough, I think I have figured out what you're trying to show, namely, that a
function like this, when given more than two integers to compare, makes the comparison on the first
two only, then compares the result of that with the next one only, and continues in that fashion as
far as the numbers go.

Is that correct?

--
Kent Cooper

"Herman Mayfarth" wrote...
Command: (boole 6 1 2 4 😎

Command: (boole 6 2 3 5 9)

Command: (boole 6 2 3 5)

Command: (boole 6 2 3)

Command: (boole 6 (boole 6 2 3) 5)

Command: (boole 6 (boole 6 (boole 6 2 3) 5) 9)
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous

Well, I looked at that, and while I hadn't seen that one in my earlier looking around, there were
others not unlike it, but it's not much better than AutoLisp Help. Some of you programmers out
there just may not "get" that a phrase like 'the logical bitwise "or" of two or more integers' was
*utterly meaningless* to me, a mere architect, when I first encountered it. If they would just
throw in a little phrase like "each place in the result is a 1 if that place in any of the compared
integers is a 1," then I would have understood perfectly right away. And what it says about (boole)
at the bottom of the page is worse than useless.
--
Kent Cooper

wrote...
Hi Kent , as you say do and extensive search, maybe it was hidden somewhere in the net

Maybe it can help you .
Message 9 of 33
Anonymous

The diagramming aspect probably would have helped my explanations, and your "With that
understood,..." paragraph is *exactly* the kind of thing I wish AutoLisp Help had included, which
would have made it perfectly clear to me. I had to figure that out for myself from what seems to
people like me to be its own kind of gibberish, and lots of examples. Searching the net was not
helpful, because nothing I found there had that kind of simple clarification, either (see my reply
to Herman Mayfarth). But I eventually wrapped my head around (logand) and (logior), and just
recently (boole).

Now, can you explain (boole) in similar terms?

--
Kent Cooper

"Tony Tanzillo" wrote...

The concept is very easily understood when the explaination uses base-2 or binary notation along
side base-10 notation:

Decimal Binary

1 00000001
2 00000010
3 00000011
4 00000100
7 00000111
12 00001100

12 00001100
AND 5 00000101
4 00000100

12 00001100
OR 5 00000101
13 00001101

With that understood, looking at the above makes it very easy to understand that "AND" means that
each bit in the output is 1, if the corresponding bits in both inputs are 1, and that "OR" means
that each bit in the output is 1, if either (or both) cooresponding bits in each of the two inputs
is 1.

In other words, you illustrate the basic concept in the same way you would do simple math with two
numbers on paper, one digit at a time.

Never mind the exponential, or 'power of 2' gibberish, and the '+' operator, as that only makes the
whole matter even more confusing to a beginner, who doesn't think about numbers in terms of
exponents.

BTW, there is plenty of stuff on this out there on the .NET. Searching on 'Boolean' and 'bitwise'
will turn up a lot of useful hits.

Message 10 of 33
Anonymous

Strange, but although I was aware of the 'bits' being compared and had an
idea about the comparisons and actions taking place, I never really fully
understood how the different functions actually worked, and only ever took
previously coded fragments to re-use where I could see what it was supposed
to be achieving. Your explanations actually helped to improve my
understanding, despite Tony's comment about "clear as mud". Mind you, his
decimal/binary tables did help too, so perhaps I'll be better able to use
these particular functions now. Mere architect here too, lol.
--
Gordon

"Kent Cooper" wrote in message
news:5883566@discussion.autodesk.com...
Well, I looked at that, and while I hadn't seen that one in my earlier
looking around, there were
others not unlike it, but it's not much better than AutoLisp Help. Some of
you programmers out
there just may not "get" that a phrase like 'the logical bitwise "or" of two
or more integers' was
*utterly meaningless* to me, a mere architect, when I first encountered it.
If they would just
throw in a little phrase like "each place in the result is a 1 if that place
in any of the compared
integers is a 1," then I would have understood perfectly right away. And
what it says about (boole)
at the bottom of the page is worse than useless.
--
Kent Cooper

wrote...
Hi Kent , as you say do and extensive search, maybe it was hidden somewhere
in the net

Maybe it can help you .
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous

Great -- that's exactly why I posted that. I had also tried borrowing functions and adjusting, but
sometimes got unexpected results, which is what drove me to figure out by brute force what they
really do.

Mere Architects Unite!

--
Kent Cooper

"Gordon Stephens" wrote...
Strange, but although I was aware of the 'bits' being compared and had an
idea about the comparisons and actions taking place, I never really fully
understood how the different functions actually worked, and only ever took
previously coded fragments to re-use where I could see what it was supposed
to be achieving. Your explanations actually helped to improve my
understanding, despite Tony's comment about "clear as mud". Mind you, his
decimal/binary tables did help too, so perhaps I'll be better able to use
these particular functions now. Mere architect here too, lol.
--
Gordon

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous

You've figured it out, Kent:)
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous

OK, good. Now do you think we could get AutoDesk to insert a simple sentence like that into the
AutoLisp Reference? I just think it could so easily be explained somewhere that figuring it out
wouldn't have been required.
--
Kent Cooper

You've figured it out, Kent:)
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous

From the help:

=> Successive<= integer arguments are bitwise (logically) combined

=>Each bit of int1 is paired with the corresponding bit of int2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitwise_operation

BTW, don't give up:)

(the more of this you do, the more knowledgeable you will become)
Message 15 of 33
Anonymous

The second part you quote was crucial to my eventually figuring out how (boole) works.

But the first one is unnecessarily unclear -- definitions of "successive" do not limit the concept
to two items [of whatever kind] at a time, so how would one surmise that you couldn't combine, say,
*eight* successive integer arguments? After all, you can apply (logand) to a whole pile of them at
once. Maybe (logand) only *looks at them* a pair at a time, but the nature of what that particular
function does means it's effectively the same as looking at them all at once, so the results support
the [false, perhaps] impression that it does just that.

The nature of the truth table might be seen to suggest that limitation, but to me, that was only in
hindsight. When I assumed [silly me] that (boole) should work similarly to (logand), I got results
I didn't expect; hence the confusion.

The wikipedia article helps some, but adds nothing to the comprehensibility of the (boole) function,
which is what I was really looking for, since I had already "figured out" (logand) and (logior) by
the time I was searching [I may even have seen that article]. A link on that page connects to one
about Boolean Algebra generally, where I just found this: "Boolean algebra is the algebra of two
values." That might have helped me comprehend it sooner, but still wouldn't have explained *how*
(boole) handles more than two -- who's to say it doesn't start with the *last* two instead of the
first? Help *could* say, but alas, no....

And no, I haven't given up, but I'm still irked at how obtuse Help is to a non-programmer,
considering how very easy it would have been to make all of this so much clearer than it does.

--
Kent Cooper

From the help:

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous

Here, here - I am frequently amazed at how difficult it can be to find
exactly what you are looking for in help and how sometimes it is less than
'helpful'!
--
Gordon

"Kent Cooper" wrote in message
news:5883815@discussion.autodesk.com...
The second part you quote was crucial to my eventually figuring out how
(boole) works.

But the first one is unnecessarily unclear -- definitions of "successive" do
not limit the concept
to two items [of whatever kind] at a time, so how would one surmise that you
couldn't combine, say,
*eight* successive integer arguments? After all, you can apply (logand) to
a whole pile of them at
once. Maybe (logand) only *looks at them* a pair at a time, but the nature
of what that particular
function does means it's effectively the same as looking at them all at
once, so the results support
the [false, perhaps] impression that it does just that.

The nature of the truth table might be seen to suggest that limitation, but
to me, that was only in
hindsight. When I assumed [silly me] that (boole) should work similarly to
(logand), I got results
I didn't expect; hence the confusion.

The wikipedia article helps some, but adds nothing to the comprehensibility
of the (boole) function,
which is what I was really looking for, since I had already "figured out"
(logand) and (logior) by
the time I was searching [I may even have seen that article]. A link on
that page connects to one
about Boolean Algebra generally, where I just found this: "Boolean algebra
is the algebra of two
values." That might have helped me comprehend it sooner, but still wouldn't
have explained *how*
(boole) handles more than two -- who's to say it doesn't start with the
*last* two instead of the
first? Help *could* say, but alas, no....

And no, I haven't given up, but I'm still irked at how obtuse Help is to a
non-programmer,
considering how very easy it would have been to make all of this so much
clearer than it does.

--
Kent Cooper

From the help:

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous

You are expecting too much from the help/documentation for a proprietary scripting langauge and API.

The purpose of the AutoLISP docs is not to introduce you to fundamental concepts of computer science.

While it is an 'end-user scripting language', the use of just about any scripting or programming language requires that one already understand a few basic concepts, like Boolean operations.

--

"Kent Cooper" wrote in message news:5883557@discussion.autodesk.com...
The diagramming aspect probably would have helped my explanations, and your "With that
understood,..." paragraph is *exactly* the kind of thing I wish AutoLisp Help had included, which
would have made it perfectly clear to me. I had to figure that out for myself from what seems to
people like me to be its own kind of gibberish, and lots of examples. Searching the net was not
helpful, because nothing I found there had that kind of simple clarification, either (see my reply
to Herman Mayfarth). But I eventually wrapped my head around (logand) and (logior), and just
recently (boole).

Now, can you explain (boole) in similar terms?

--
Kent Cooper

"Tony Tanzillo" wrote...

The concept is very easily understood when the explaination uses base-2 or binary notation along
side base-10 notation:

Decimal Binary

1 00000001
2 00000010
3 00000011
4 00000100
7 00000111
12 00001100

12 00001100
AND 5 00000101
4 00000100

12 00001100
OR 5 00000101
13 00001101

With that understood, looking at the above makes it very easy to understand that "AND" means that
each bit in the output is 1, if the corresponding bits in both inputs are 1, and that "OR" means
that each bit in the output is 1, if either (or both) cooresponding bits in each of the two inputs
is 1.

In other words, you illustrate the basic concept in the same way you would do simple math with two
numbers on paper, one digit at a time.

Never mind the exponential, or 'power of 2' gibberish, and the '+' operator, as that only makes the
whole matter even more confusing to a beginner, who doesn't think about numbers in terms of
exponents.

BTW, there is plenty of stuff on this out there on the .NET. Searching on 'Boolean' and 'bitwise'
will turn up a lot of useful hits.

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous

Gordon and Kent, to play devil's advocate, I'm "just an architect" as well, and I've never been gobsmacked by the Boolean functions, or felt that Help was somehow tricking me or leading me astray.

If I didn't know how to do division, I wouldn't expect the documentation on the / function to teach me the underlying concept. Nor do I expect help on vlax-curve-getSecondDeriv to teach me calculus and the notion of a derivative.

Had the phrase "general bitwise Boolean function" struck me as utterly incomprehensible -- which it didn't -- I would have looked up the phrase elsewhere. I had encountered the concept in math classes at architecture school, and again when I was trying to learn BASIC when PC's first appeared. I'm no "programmer" but this was familiar enough so that it didn't take a major re-education to grasp it enough to use in lisp.

BTW There's not one word of explanation in Help of what the word LINE means, let alone POLYGON. If you don't have those concepts, you'll have to gain them elsewhere before the Acad docs will be meaningful. Unless Acad Help is going to become some kind of ginormous all-encompassing Wikipedia, there will always be some level of "assumed" background knowledge running through all of it.

Yeah, Boolean is kind of a "programmy" thing. But it's no more exotic than any number of other functions which might require some outside reading to fully grasp.
Message 19 of 33
Anonymous

I did, and my entire purpose was to help others do just that, I hope a lot more easily.
--
Kent Cooper

wrote...
.... If you don't have those concepts, you'll have to gain them elsewhere before the Acad docs will
be meaningful. ....
Message 20 of 33
Anonymous

I appreciate your effort, however I agree with Tony that a simple breakdown to binary numbers makes it far easier to understand than the "wordy" version.

My advice to others would be, if Kent's explanation leaves you just as confused as before, Google "Boolean binary" and skip the Wikipedia entry, which goes into all manner of other things.

For example http://users.senet.com.au/~dwsmith/boolean.htm uses nothing but 1's and 0's, so the truth tables are simple to understand.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost