Did you mean: 

Land Desktop Error 429 on Windows 7

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Neilw_05
2377 Views, 7 Replies

Land Desktop Error 429 on Windows 7

From what I have found online it appears this is a programming or VBA issue. I am not a programmer so I am posting here with hope that someone will know what to do.

I got a new PC with Windows 7 64bit OS. I installed Civil Series 2004 (Land Desktop 2004) and am able to run it in XP Mode. However, when I use the Import LandXML routine it fails with the message "Run Time Error '429'. ActiveX component can't create object". From what I've found it seems I need to register a DLL to get past this but I don't know which one.

Can anyone offer a solution? This may occur with other apps once I start using them more fully so it would be helpful to know how to determine which dll's/components need to be registered.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: Neilw_05

What are you trying to import, Neil? I have LDT3 running in XP Mode (don't have the 2004 version) and have been able to import LandXML files without a problem. This makes me think it may be the object types contained in the LandXML file.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff,

The XML file contains a LDT surface. I can import it fine using Civil series 2004 on my XP machine but I get the error when importing it on my Win 7 64 bit machine in XP mode.

Do you know if I have to use XP Mode when installing it on Win 7? I didn't.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 4 of 8
Jeff_M

I have Win7 Pro-x64. I have Windows VirtualPC Windows XP Mode running into which I installed LDT3, which I then run entirely within the XP VirtualPC. This is the only way I was able to get LDT3 to work correctly in a 64bit environment. Back when I was running Vista-x64 I had tried to install LDT3 direct, which it did, but I had all sorts of problems (none of which I can specifically recall). 

If this is also what you've done with Civil Series 2004, then I'm not sure why it would be failing on a surface import. Perhaps check all the support paths for LDT (both the ACAD support under Options and those found in the sdsk.dfm file)

EESignature
Message 5 of 8
Neilw_05

Jeff,

I am not aware of the Virual PC mode you mentioned. I installed all my apps in the standard Win 7 environment and then enabled XP mode in their settings. I'll have to investigate that workflow. I sure hope I don't have to reinstall all my apps again!

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M

The only thing I have installed in the VirtualPC XP Mode is LDT3. It's basically like having a second computer built into yours. WHen it's running, it has access to the hardware and the drives are assigned drive letters so you can still access your files, just the programs you install into that VirtiualPC run in true WindowsXP. All you normal apps stay in Win7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

EESignature
Message 7 of 8
Neilw_05

Jeff,

I've set up LDT to run in Virtual XP MODE. It does solve the compatability issue with custom tools but it is a cumbersome solution considering the load time to start XP MODE and the headache of having to configure and maintain 2 seperate operating systems. Do you have any suggestions to get the 2 environments better integrated (i.e. utilizing the Win 7 printers, documents folders, etc.)?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 8
Jeff_M

Glad you got it up and running. Sorry that you had the need to do so. The only reason I set mine up is to support our surveyor who refuses to move out of the R14/S8 days. Before I send him anything I have to be sure to open it in LDT3 and check for "conatins objects from a newer version" errors, as he's incapabale of doing so himself. He did figure out how to open and convert the R2000 format to a R14 dwg file though. So I don't plot or directly work on drawings in that setup.

If you have planty of RAM, try just leaving the XPMode PC running and minimized when not needed. With those older drawings, you shouldn't need to dedicate too much RAM to it.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost