Is this possible in AutoCAD?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
fk
Advocate
1033 Views, 5 Replies

Is this possible in AutoCAD?

To all customization gurus.

Can you please tell me if these (see the attached PNG) line types is possible to make in AutoCAD. If you know how, I'm glad to hear from you. The dash is 2 units long and space between the dashes is one unit.

Thanks in advance.

\Freddy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: fk

Almost anything is possible, but the problem starts to creep on when you try to go around curves because shapes do not bend like the arc or polyline arc might... and endpoints generally have a segment where the linetype in not applied

It's possible to break an individual shape up into smaller shapes to help go around curves.

Example:

AutoCAD Linetype

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
fk
Advocate
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi.

Impressive example!

I know about the curve issue. Can you make a custom line type that only contains shapes and is the limit of shapes 12 as for segments?

\Freddy

Message 4 of 6
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi.

Impressive example!

I know about the curve issue. Can you make a custom line type that only contains shapes and is the limit of shapes 12 as for segments?

\Freddy

The linetype definition for the example above contains 11 dash/dot segments and 10 shape references for a total of 21 elements.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 6
fk
Advocate
in reply to: rkmcswain

Are you willing to share this line type with me? Or only the definition without the shapes if you rather prefer. It have been nice to see how you have solved the two parallel lines. Anyway, do you know if it is possible to fill an area like my attachment show? Do you know if you can have a line type definition only containing shapes? I have not been able to make such a definition.

Thanks in advance.

\Freddy

Message 6 of 6
Kent1Cooper

Solid-filled areas defined as Shapes would need to be made of closely-spaced lines, but maybe you can find a text font [such as Wingdings] with a character of the right shape that's actually solid, and use that as a text element in the linetype.

AutoCAD's BATTING and ZIGZAG linetypes are essentially, though not purely, only shapes.  They have a virtually-zero-length line segment at the beginning, though I'm not sure why it isn't actually zero, since Help says the first segment needs to be zero or longer, and zero itself ought to qualify.  But whether it's zero or just tiny, it can't begin with a pen-up segment, and beyond the beginning, there will need to be pen-up segments to space the shapes, if that answers your question.  I haven't tried changing that to zero to see what happens.

@Anonymous wrote:

....do you know if it is possible to fill an area like my attachment show? Do you know if you can have a line type definition only containing shapes?.... 

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost