Did you mean: 

How To Check LISP Compatibility With Current AutoCAD Versions

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
omorah
2329 Views, 4 Replies

How To Check LISP Compatibility With Current AutoCAD Versions

I am not a LISP guru or a "heavy" LISP writer.  I can create simple ones or modify simple code to work.

So, that being said, is there a way to find out if my existing LISPs (being acquiring the LISPs since much older versions)
would be compatible with the current versions of AutoCAD
by opening them in Visual LISP Editor or any other way?

The other question would be, where would be a 'good' site to find LISPs that are more compatible with current AutoCAD versions (2014 & 2015)?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mid-awe
in reply to: omorah

You could try calling them at the command line. Or, copy and paste your routine into the command line, then call it.

A great thing about LISP in AutoCAD is that very little has changed. If your program fails, take a look at the sysvars that you may be referencing.

(Also, remember cmdecho and nomutt can cause you to not see the output from your program).

Message 3 of 5
martti.halminen

@omorah wrote:

... is there a way to find out if my existing LISPs (being acquiring the LISPs since much older versions)
would be compatible with the current versions of AutoCAD
by opening them in Visual LISP Editor or any other way?

About the best you can do is compile the files and read the compiler reports. Due to the dynamic nature of Lisp this can't get you very thorough results: as the language allows run-time redefinition of things, a static check can not catch everything.

The only reliable way would be to test run your programs with all possible inputs to catch the runtime errors. (and every possible drawing as the environment. Tends to generate an infinite amount of work...)

Generally, the language itself has been very stable, typically errors in new versions come from changed behaviour of AutoCAD commands you call with COMMAND or VL-CMDF.

Depending on the programming style, you may want to convert some places using COMMAND to COMMAND-S on 2015, see the documentation.

-- 

-- 

Message 4 of 5
omorah
in reply to: martti.halminen

Thanks all for the information.

Actually, all the lisps I have work, except two that really work very well.  I removed them since I have not used them in more than ten years and have better option for the same command.  So, all I have now are great!

I had to "clean up house", reset AutoCAD, and redid all.  Noticed using the Acaddoc.lisp did not work for me, for some reason it was messing me up.

To have AutoCAD stable, I had to use the native ACAD.CUIX with my personal customization file loaded as partial, all my LISPs loaded in the main customization, and still load all the same LISPs loaded with the APPLOAD and in the STARTUP SUITCASE.  An overkill in my opinion, but it works and have not slowed down or refused to work.  So, I saved the profile and all is well now (for now until 2016 comes out with its own issue(s)).

So, for now, I would say I am fine.

Thanks all again.

Oka

Message 5 of 5
mid-awe

Congratulations on solving your issue. 

If you would like to look at reducing the "overkill", check out this nifty tool by Lee Mack.

acaddoccreator

Smiley Happy

And, all the information that you could want to know:

Autoloading

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost