Help with exporting layer lineweight in dxf

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Bica.Bogdan
1349 Views, 22 Replies

Help with exporting layer lineweight in dxf

Hello,

Recently we tried adding layer lineweight to our DXF 2000 export. The original programmer is no longer working with us, and this is my  first time working with DXF so stupid questions may be asked.

We are exporting layers and everything seems to be working fine when we import it into Autocad 2015, except the layer lineweight, which always gets set on Default, instead of a value.

I'll post what we get when we export 

TABLE
LAYER
A61483
AcDbSymbolTable
LAYER
A61441
AcDbSymbolTableRecord
AcDbLayerTableRecord
CONTINUOUS
LAYER
A61475
AcDbSymbolTableRecord
AcDbLayerTableRecord
Plankopf
CONTINUOUS
ENDTAB

I've tried exporting the same thing from autocad, and compare the results. I've copy-pasted parts of the DXF file, mainly up the chain of dependencies codes 330 and 390, but it still would not work. If i went far enough, it wouldn't even load anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Bica.Bogdan
in reply to: Bica.Bogdan

Separate comment again, no idea how to edit via mobile. My guess it's something in the headers. But lineweight shouldnt be associated to anything.
Message 22 of 23
Gary_J_Orr

well, I'll post this last and be done then (it's 9:30 am here BTW):
The DXF version that you are creating is for the R14 release DXF (in which plotting was wholly defined via color to pen weight) and the value seems to get ignored on import.
Changing the DXF header to a 2000 format (15) means that you do not have enough information for ACAD to evaluate and create the layer as there were a lot of other changes (as well as the addition of the lineweight group code) such as plotstyle and noplot that require codes that your application is not producing in the dxf file....

there is also the matter of no acad classes section in which there seems to be a number of classes that may have an impact such as dictionaries and layer index classes... would the layer Index class make a difference? I don't know...

Short of it is... you are not going to be able to do it without a deeper rebuild specifically targeting a newer DXF version (r15 or better for this particular case instead of the r14 version).

I'm out,
Gary
Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 23 of 23
Bica.Bogdan

Thanks a lot Gary. The first warning sign was when i exported our loaded file again from autocad and it had 20k lines to our 2k.
So it's the worst case scenario. I'll get it up with my managers and see what they decide. If we update to a newer version, you'll probably se a lot more of me here. Is this the correct forum for Dxf questions? Most of the search results led to here to here?
And thanks again everyone for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost