Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting/Importing Profiles

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
The_SuperVixen
354 Views, 1 Reply

Exporting/Importing Profiles

Please Help. I hope i am posting in the correct location.

We're planning on upgrading from MEP 2013 to MEP 2015. We have a custom Ribbon, containing custom programs and also a bunch of Custom Tool Palettes. These are all saved on a network and have all been created by different people over the years, who of course are no longer here. 

I've got everything setup on my machine so it all works. I export my profile, save it to a network location, then import it on another user's machine. It doesn't work completely. 

The ribbons disappear, I switch to a different workspace, and that brings back the ribbons, but the custom programs, on our custom ribbon don't work.

I was told to copy over the "Profile.aws" file saved locally on my machine (C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\MEP 2015\enu\Support\Profiles) and overwrite the same file on the user's local drive, but that doesn't seem to do it either.

I am admittedly not familiar with editing cuix files. To load the Ribbon I do load a specific cuix file from the network. I'm assuming its something to do with this, but through my research, I haven't had much luck figuring it out. I tried saving my current cuix file to the network and loading this on the user's end, doesn't work either.

I have gotten it to work by editing the Support File Search Path in Options manually first, and then loading the profile, but everyone seems to believe there's no need to have to do this for every user in the office, and our satellite offices. Are they right? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dgorsman
in reply to: The_SuperVixen

Trying to migrate directly between several versions usually isn't a good idea (this is more for different computers with the same program and version).  Copying a profile AWS file is almost certainly a Bad Idea.  Search paths and support content change between versions ie. tools are added or removed along with the associated UI elements.  This means re-creating workspaces with the proper UI elements and rebuilding profiles with the proper Enterprise, Main, and partial CUIx files for each.

This sounds like an excellent time to rebuild your system "from the ground up" with centralized Enterprise and partial CUIx files together with personalized Main CUIx files.  Custom programs, interfaces (e.g. Tool palettes, CUIx files) should all be documented - what goes where, which search paths are needed, what other support files are required.  They should be made as independant of version as possible, so that when a new version is loaded a minimum of work is required.  If you leave, get hit by a bus, etc. your successor isn't left in a leaky boat without a bailing bucket.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost