Did you mean: 

Double Clicking to Edit Text in Paper Space

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
AR12
3957 Views, 18 Replies

Double Clicking to Edit Text in Paper Space

HI All,

I've trying to track down a solution for an issue that we are experiencing. When some of our lisp programs get run, you can no longer double click on text to edit it in paper space. If I put text in model space, I am able to double click to edit it. Is there a variable for this?

EDIT: I just verified something else, if I move the text to be outside of the View Port, I can double click to edit the text. If I try to double click to edit while inside the viewport then it switchs to model space withing the viewport.

Thanks,
Adam Richardson

If needed: AutoCAD 2017 User using Visual LISP for editing LISP and DCL files
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: AR12

"When some of our lisp programs get run..."

If you think it might be a variable being changed without your knowledge, you could give this a look/try:

http://cadpanacea.com/node/53

Message 3 of 19
AR12
in reply to: dmfrazier

@dmfrazier wrote:

"When some of our lisp programs get run..."

If you think it might be a variable being changed without your knowledge, you could give this a look/try:

http://cadpanacea.com/node/53

That sounds like it requires you to know which variable. I have a case where I don't know what variable is causing it to happen.

Thanks,
Adam Richardson

Message 4 of 19
dmfrazier

Correct you are!  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

(Time for me to go get a beer.)

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Type in VLIDE at the command prompt and load your lisp file into it via File-->Open.

Once your code is loaded you will need to place a "watch" on all of your variables in order to see if any are acting up.

Without knowing which var you're trying to watch ...may just have to take your variables after the defun statement one by one but at least you'd get to see how their values change in order to *find* the correct one to modify.

Also sounds as if you're working in paperspace with a viewport into a section of the model.

If you're having trouble doubleclicking text in the viewport while you are in paperspace then the text is likely been placed in modelspace. That's why when you double click in the viewport it'll allow you to edit the text then, and alternatively when youre in modelspace it will also allow you to edit with a doubleclick.

If that doesn't help then perhaps placing your text outside the viewport to edit then issuing a move command would suffice?

hth..

Message 6 of 19
AR12
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Type in VLIDE at the command prompt and load your lisp file into it via File-->Open.

Once your code is loaded you will need to place a "watch" on all of your variables in order to see if any are acting up.

Without knowing which var you're trying to watch ...may just have to take your variables after the defun statement one by one but at least you'd get to see how their values change in order to *find* the correct one to modify.

Also sounds as if you're working in paperspace with a viewport into a section of the model.

If you're having trouble doubleclicking text in the viewport while you are in paperspace then the text is likely been placed in modelspace. That's why when you double click in the viewport it'll allow you to edit the text then, and alternatively when youre in modelspace it will also allow you to edit with a doubleclick.

If that doesn't help then perhaps placing your text outside the viewport to edit then issuing a move command would suffice?

hth..

Hi bhull1985,

I have an odd case of having trouble replicating the issue that another drafter is having. I haven't managed to replicate the error on my own computer however, I have a copy of a drawing that the issue happened on. I compared all of the variables that we have in the program and the variables are all the same between the drawing where it works and the drawing where it doesn't work. Unfortunately I don't think moving the text outside the viewport and moving it back would work for our drafters. I do know the text is on paperspace as I can select it. It just doesn't go into the text editor when I double click on it. If i type ED on the keyboard I can edit the text, but most of our drafters use double clicking to edit text. Thanks for the possible answers but unfortunately I've already looked at all of the variables called out in the program.

Also is it possible that I"m using the wrong term? When I'm saying variable I'm referring to cmdecho, osmode, pstylepolicy, etc.

Thanks,
Adam Richardson

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

Those are system variables, so yes and no...

If I remember correctly there is a sysvar that will control the double click to edit or not actions, wether a dbl click executes ddedit or not, basically. I'll look into it..

A quick google search of "double click edit autocad" returned some references, here's what may fix your drafter up.

From nukecad's post on cadtutor forums:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?44429-Double-click-to-edit-entity&s=c0fa83c1e970444f7cb...

dblclkedit is the variable you are after.

From the help-

DBLCLICKEDIT controls whether double-clicking an object results in the display of a dialog box. If double-click editing is turned on, one of several dialog boxes may be displayed, depending on the object type that is double clicked.

When you double-click most objects, the Properties window is displayed. Double-clicking some types of objects displays specialized editors that are more powerful, convenient, or frequently used. Objects that display specialized editors when double-clicked include

Attribute: Displays the Edit Attribute Definition dialog box (DDEDIT).
Attribute within a block: Displays the Edit Attributes dialog box (ATTEDIT).
Hatch: Displays the Hatch Edit dialog box (HATCHEDIT).
Leader text: Displays the Multiline Text Editor dialog box (DDEDIT).
Mtext: Displays the Multiline Text Editor dialog box (DDEDIT).
Text: Displays the Edit Text dialog box (DDEDIT).

Hope this is a more useful response than my previous one

Message 8 of 19
dmfrazier

Now that I've had a beer and a good night's sleep, it occurs to me that this sounds like a DRAWORDER issue. (?)

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Yes, that may fix it as well

Issue a "send to back" on your viewport object. The actual viewport pline itself, that is, ofcourse.

Message 10 of 19
AR12

Well of course right after you guys replied our internet went down here so I'm only now finally getting a chance to review what you guys suggested.

bhull1985, that system variable is one of them that i found when I had been searching for a solution myself and while I don't currently have access to the person's computer who gave me the problem, I have the drawing that they sent me and this system variable is set to on.

, I tried sending the Viewport to the back and it's still not working.

Thanks guys for trying to help, this is such an odd problem and the fact that I have not been able to replicate the problem on my own computer has made this even tougher to find a solution to.  Is there some way to get like say a word file with all of the system variables and their current setting? Also can system variables be different between 2 different open drawing files?

Thanks,
Adam Richardson

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

The system var would need to be changed on his machine.

They are local to each session of autocad, but roll over into the next one most of the time. I.e. are stored values that can be modified via lisp

Message 12 of 19
AR12

@Anonymous wrote:

The system var would need to be changed on his machine.

They are local to each session of autocad, but roll over into the next one most of the time. I.e. are stored values that can be modified via lisp

So If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, this wouldn't be a system variable causing the issue if it happens on 1 drawing but not the other drawing with both drawings open?

Thanks,
Adam Richardson

Message 13 of 19
dmfrazier

If you have Express tools installed, there is a command SYSVDLG that will show you all sysvars and which are saved in DWG, registry, or not saved.

To produce a listing (without custom function):

Command: setvar
Enter variable name or [?] <last one>: ?

Enter variable(s) to list <*>:*

You can copy from the command window and paste into your editor of choice.

Message 14 of 19
AR12

Hi dmfrazier,

I did the setvar followed by ? followed by * and went through and tried changing any that were not read-only to match the value on the drawing that works and this didn't fix it. Any other ideas on what could possibly cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Adam Richardson

Message 15 of 19
dmfrazier

Current AutoCAD Service Pack?

Windows up-to-date?

.Net updates?

Uninstall/re-install?

(We're getting desperate now!)

Message 16 of 19
greg_battin

One option might be to temporarily change the system variable SPACESWITCH. This stays in the drawing so it might not be the best fix.
http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/disable-viewport-activation/
Message 17 of 19
matt.worland

In the future a quick way to match variables from one drawing to the next would be using the VARS2SCR command in AutoCAD. This will export out variables to a SCR that you can run on a file. Great for testing variables from one computer to another.
If my reply was helpful, please give a "Thumbs Up" or "Accept as Solution"
Message 18 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: matt.worland

Thanks for that. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19

Type DDUCS to open the UCS settings and then set the current UCS back to world.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost