Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled XRefEdit work around

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mdhutchinson
771 Views, 10 Replies

Disabled XRefEdit work around

I am looking for an alternative to in place XRef Edit.

The third party software I am stuck with has disabled in place editing an Xref.

The specific application I need is to allow the user to move an intelligent room tag that is XReffed into discipline specific models. Disciplines are Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical..Etc. Each discipline has their own room tag and needs to move their own tag to a location that can be clearly seen on their finished plot. Xref edit in place is the perfect tool for this..But since the third party has disabled the command, I need an alternative method.

Anyone have any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
alanjt_
in reply to: mdhutchinson

Are you talking about refedit?

If it's disabled, just prefix a command with a period and it *should* work. Granted, there may be a good reason the 3rd party software disables it.

Message 3 of 11
mdhutchinson
in reply to: alanjt_

Yes... refedit

(I was away from the office when I did the post.)

I've already tried prefixing the command with a period... still get message that the command was disabled by the software.

They've sown this up pretty good. I tried launching AutoCAD with out the 3rd party software running... and still get the message that it was dissabled.

It would be nice if I could discover how to re-inable the command, however, what I was hoping to find was just another method of doing what I need (as if refedit worked).  Kind of like opeing the desired xref and xreffing in the other files just as they were xreffed in the oposite file.  Kind of like this:

Main dwg file A

XRefB

XRefC

XRefD

I want to edit the XRefB for instance

So Open XRefB for editing... and XReffing the others back in...

XRefC

XRefD

XRefA

Message 4 of 11
scot-65

(command ".redefine" "xrefedit")
???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 5 of 11
alanjt_
in reply to: scot-65

@scot-65 wrote:
(command ".redefine" "xrefedit")
???

*refedit.

Message 6 of 11
mdhutchinson

So what is...  *refedit?

refedit with a leading asterisk yeilds only unknown command.

I said that I have already tried refedit with a leading period. I know that a leading period calls the command even though it has been redefined. However, the 3rd part software has went to some measures beyond simply redefining the command. So... what is it that you mean by *refedit?

let me see if I can explain...

The third party developer has disabled the refedit command... so much so that all that you suggest DOES NOT WORK!

So, what I need is some alternative way to edit the xref in a way that I can see all the surronding geometry as I would if I could use refedit. Open the xref that I want to edit, then xref in all the other dwgs. A lisp to do this would be great!. 

Message 7 of 11
alanjt_

No, the asteric was signifiying that I was offering an edit to the above post, since XREFEDIT was typed in for redefiing, rather than REFEDIT.

Message 8 of 11
mdhutchinson

ooh... I see...

either way... redefing the refedit command back to AutoCAD's internal .refedit does not work in this case. See the attached.

Message 9 of 11
BlackBox_

@mdhutchinson wrote:

So what is...  *refedit?

refedit with a leading asterisk yeilds only unknown command.

I said that I have already tried refedit with a leading period. I know that a leading period calls the command even though it has been redefined. However, the 3rd part software has went to some measures beyond simply redefining the command. So... what is it that you mean by *refedit?

let me see if I can explain...

The third party developer has disabled the refedit command... so much so that all that you suggest DOES NOT WORK!

So, what I need is some alternative way to edit the xref in a way that I can see all the surronding geometry as I would if I could use refedit. Open the xref that I want to edit, then xref in all the other dwgs. A lisp to do this would be great!. 

I am curious to know... Have you tried directing any/all of this opinionated commentary toward the manufacturer of this 3rd party software, instead of expressing your frustration(s) here?

Also, FWIW - The .NET API makes it quite simple to Veto any command one wants.

As an example, I coded a quick plug-in for someone who wanted (when in the Block Editor) to Veto() the QUIT Command, in the event that users accidentally select the "X" to quit the session in liue of the Block Editor... So the plug-in registered a Command Event handler which monitored for QUIT following BEDIT, and if QUIT was invoked, QUIT was Veto()-ed, and BCLOSE was invoked in it's place, thus removing the Event handler.

/Example

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 10 of 11
mdhutchinson
in reply to: BlackBox_

@BlackBox_ wrote:

I am curious to know... Have you tried directing any/all of this opinionated commentary toward the manufacturer of this 3rd party software, instead of expressing your frustration(s) here?

Also, FWIW - The .NET API makes it quite simple to Veto any command one wants.

As an example, I coded a quick plug-in for someone who wanted (when in the Block Editor) to Veto() the QUIT Command, in the event that users accidentally select the "X" to quit the session in liue of the Block Editor... So the plug-in registered a Command Event handler which monitored for QUIT following BEDIT, and if QUIT was invoked, QUIT was Veto()-ed, and BCLOSE was invoked in it's place, thus removing the Event handler.

/Example

ooh, Yes I have spoken with the developer (I've been told that I am some what of a pit bull when it comes to such encounter's... however, I've also been told that I have pushed back and finally gotten attention... and that it has resulted in improving the product.

It does look obvious that the 3 rd party developer has put an Event Handler in place.

"thus removing the Event handler." ...  Are you saying that it is possible I could override in some way via .Net?

Message 11 of 11
BlackBox_

@mdhutchinson wrote:
It does look obvious that the 3 rd party developer has put an Event Handler in place.

Well, it's speculation on my part admittedly, but I feel confident that it may be one mechanism, in particular that could be responsible for the undesired behavior you're experiencing as a result of the 3rd party software.

What utterly puzzles me, is why any developer might find the need to do so in the first place; but that's not for me to understand.

@mdhutchinson wrote:

"thus removing the Event handler." ...  Are you saying that it is possible I could override in some way via .Net?

Possible? Perhaps. Likely? No... Further is the question of Should? Absolutely not.

Your doing so would directly interfere with the software that you or your employer have presumably paid for, and that the manufacturer is providing service, maintenance for... Again, this is why I posed the question of coordinating with the manufacturer to resolve the issue.

'Thus' simply communicating that where the task has been performed (the potential Veto of QUIT), and inevitable invocation of BCLOSE, that there's no longer a need to monitor for that scenario until the next BEDIT is called.

To constantly monitor the DocumentLockModeChanged Event is utterly unecessary; see Events in MgdDbg for more.

/Example

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost