Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable DWG Program Re-association

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cdcaron
1092 Views, 9 Replies

Disable DWG Program Re-association

All of our users have both ACA and Trueview, however some use one or the other more depending on their roles.  The issue is when they double click a dwg the last program used opens because Autodesk products like to reassign extensions every time a program is run.  I want the reassociating to stop.  As far as I know, no other program does this Acrobat/Reader, IE/Chrome/Firefox, etc...

Is there a way to stop the reassociation and let the user decide on a default program and have it stay that way?

Pre-answer questions:

• Yes, you can R-Click and use Open with.  Our uses either choose to not do this or forget.
  • No, the there isn't a clear distinction for those who use what and when.
  • Primary reason for doing this is License use.  20% of our users don't need editing capacity at any given time, but because all of our users need it at sometime we can't remove ACA.  But if those same users could default permanantly to TV and only use ACA as required, license management would be creatly improved.

Thanks for your help

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BlackBox_
in reply to: cdcaron

What's wrong with first opening the desired product, and then selecting the target file(s) using that applications 'open' dialog?

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 3 of 10
cdcaron
in reply to: BlackBox_

Refer to "Pre-answered questions" Question 1: section 2..

A.K.A. lazy/apathetic users.

Besides the very idea of reassigning file extension with no "Opt-out" annoys me.

Message 4 of 10
dmfrazier

Assuming AutoCAD changes the association when the product is launched (rather than when it is closed), and presumably this is done by some change to the registry, then it seems it would be feasible to add "something" to AutoCAD's startup (e.g. acad.lsp) that would "undo" that registry change (or deliberately change it to TrueView).  What and how are beyond me (at least at the moment), but maybe this will get the ball rolling.

This customization would be limited to those who only need AutoCAD infrequently.  For those who use it most of the time, it probably isn't necessary to do anything if they happen to use TrueView (not sure why they would choose to do this, for DWG files anyway).

Message 5 of 10
BlackBox_

@cdcaron wrote:

Refer to "Pre-answered questions" Question 1: section 2..

A.K.A. lazy/apathetic users.

Besides the very idea of reassigning file extension with no "Opt-out" annoys me.

Refer to Sun Tzu On the Matter of Training:

SunTzu, On the Matter of Training

In [CAD Standards], everyone is expected to obey the rules and regulations or he will be punished. To this, the [Cheif Operations Officer (COO)] assented. 

Then he ordered that one hundred and eighty [numpties] be selected from among the [company numpties] to receive [CAD] training under [The CAD Manager] who divided the [numpties] into two [production teams] and made two of the [COO's] most favorite [numpties] their [Supervisors]. [The CAD Manager] then said to the [COO], "A good [production team] cannot be built without strict discipline. Although those [numpties] are [company numpties], discipline must be enforced without exception. So please send me two [Senior numpties] to enforce [CAD Standards]. " The [COO] consented.

The [CAD Standards we soon implemented]. [The CAD Manager] first [must make] known the rules and regulations to be obeyed and then explained to the [numpties] how to execute such commands as "[Use proper Osnaps]", "[Purge All]", "[Copy Objects]", "[Save the drawing]", "[Create a New drawing]", "[Archive the project]" and so on.

After he was finished with this, he asked the [numpties], "Is it all clear now?" "[Sure, man]," the [numpties] replied. But [The CAD Manager] explained the rules and regulations once again and then had the drummers beat out martial music. 

At this, he shouted commands such as "[Use proper Osnaps]" and "[Copy Objects] " Instead of carrying out his commands, the [numpties] started giggling. [The CAD Manager] said, turning very serious, "It apparently is my fault not to have made the rules and regulations and commands plain enough. " So he reiterated what he had said before, explaining very carefully the rules and regulations and the way to carry out the commands. 

After that he once again had the drummers beat out martial music and started giving commands. However, he met with only rings of laughter. Now [The CAD Manager] looked very stern and said seriously, "If I had not made sufficiently clear the discipline and the commands, it would be my fault. 

Now that everything has been made clear and still you have failed to execute my orders, the [Supervisors] must be held responsible. " He ordered that the two [Supervisors] be beheaded immediately in public, as a warning to all.

Message 6 of 10
dmfrazier

I love it!Smiley LOL

Thanks for posting that.

Message 7 of 10
cdcaron

If only....  The problem in my equation goes higher than supervisor.

I don't manager so much as sit, pacify, and change diapers.... But the pay is good!

Message 8 of 10
BlackBox_
in reply to: dmfrazier

@dmfrazier wrote:

I love it!Smiley LOL

Thanks for posting that.

You're welcome; I'm glad you liked it.

Cheers

Message 9 of 10
BlackBox_

@cdcaron wrote:

If only....  The problem in my equation goes higher than supervisor.

I don't manager so much as sit, pacify, and change diapers.... But the pay is good!

That is unfortunate... It's good of you to try to help, despite that being the case. I'd gladly help out with the code as suggested above, but do not have time to dig through to see exactly where these changes are being made.

... When you're ready to replace several of your current, lazy users with one, highly motivated, proficient user, kindly let me know?

Message 10 of 10
cdcaron

Thanks, I got it.

I entertained the idea of a startup switch...  I figured I'd try the Autodesk Comm. first before diving into it.  I was hoping for a known easy fix...

Unfortunately our users aren't hired that way, but are slowly absorbed like.. (insert sci-fi/horror reference here)

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost