Data extraction: Sorting, new items on data and fields

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
kaiknux
782 Views, 3 Replies

Data extraction: Sorting, new items on data and fields

Good morning colleagues,

I've been working with something I never had to: Data extraction. Since now I've been trying to handle a massive amount of drawings that need a high criteria count, my AutoCad study demand got higher. Ok, the scenario is:

This is my Data extraction preview table. When I link Fields with the formula Cell to it -works, but when the Count column changes (I mean, when I insert more of a specific block) the table sort changes and them my information gets messed. Then I inserted a random column before Count and used it to avoid Count sorting. Would be a lot easier if Excel formulas like IF or vlookup worked 😞

Question 1: Is that secure? I use dxeval on save, I don't have plans of checking these tables again. Using an element that won't change as a tool to get the cells fixed is enough for me to lay down on my bed relaxed?

Question 2: If I add other blocks to a new layer, my Dataextraction table will consider it, without re-sorting?

Question 3: Is it possible to setup the Dataextraction to consider new blocks? If I want to add a new random block to the drawing with Dataextraction, I'd have to type dataextraction again, select "edit existing" - forward - forward again, bla bla bla?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dbroad
in reply to: kaiknux

I do a lot of data extraction but am confused by your situation.

The best way to do dataextraction I have found is to do the dataextraction from a new drawing.  Start with a new dataextraction and choose your drawings.  Choose the object types you want to extract data from. I usually extract data for blocks.  Choose your columns and then choose which columns you want to sort on.  I would not sort on the count column.  Don't sort on a random column.  Decide why and how you are sorting and keep it that way. The dataextraction won't change by itself.  You need to right click the table to update it.  Dataextraction automatically adds new objects (but you must manually update it).

When I put dataextraction in the same drawing as the objects I am extracting from, problems occur.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 4
kaiknux
in reply to: dbroad

Good to hear someone that has some experience on Dataextraction. I tested the right click and you're right- this way I can test and know exacly what I'm dealing with. I was already studying how to sort it, but not with an effective way to test as this Smiley Tongue

The only thing that is difficult for me to use is because the legend of the drawings contains fields linked to the extracted data- so I need it to be on the same file.

Message 4 of 4
dbroad
in reply to: kaiknux

Glad to help.  I usually have a separate file for plotting and xattach the dataextraction file and the other files to that sheet file for plotting.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost