Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom keyboard shortcuts for multiple users?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jgraham88
458 Views, 5 Replies

Custom keyboard shortcuts for multiple users?

First time posting, not sure if this is the right board or not. 

What I'm trying to achive is the ability for some users to have different keyboard aliases, for example User 1 can have 'C' be COPY and User 2 can have 'C' be circle. Our firm is beginning to get a little big, and I'm getting tired of restoring the default ACAD.PGP everytime a new hire tries to customize their shortcuts. 

Our firm is running an enterprise.cuix located on the server and a main.cuix file locally. All of our standard support related info resides on the server, including ACAD.PGP where the autocad aliases are. 

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
3wood
in reply to: jgraham88

Idea 1, You can set up different profiles for different users. Different profiles contains a different support path which has a different acad.pgp file. For example, \User1\acad.pgp is for user1, User2\acad.pgp is for user2.

Idea 2, I am thinking using a routine to utilize different login names to load different pgp files. I remember this topic has been discussed befoer for a few times. You can search the forum to get a better anser.

Message 3 of 6
3wood

Further to my post above, if users are using different Windows login name, they'll have different desktop and different AutoCAD shotcut. You can also define different support path through command line switch "/s" at startup of the AutoCAD program. Refer to

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2014/ENU/files/GUID-8E54B6EC-5B52-4F62-B7FC-0D4E1EDF093A.htm

for full usage of Command Line Switches.

Message 4 of 6
dbroad

If you're that big, shouldn't you be using a network approach with network drives and allow your employees to carry their settings with them when they log in?

If that is not workable, then the local and roaming folders should be enough so that when someone logs in, their personal settings are available, either at the computer or across the network.  Just point AutoCAD to the user roaming or user local folders at the top of the file search. (Disclaimer: haven't done that myself).

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: dbroad

+1 with dbroad.  With more and more users, having to manage search paths with user names or other folders unique to each user becomes more of a problem; multiply that by several profiles for different applications and it grows out of control very easily.  Set everyone up with a personal network drive with standard pathing for AutoCAD settings e.g. G:\AutoCAD settings\<Application name>\ with multiple sub-folders for various support files, where G: is \\[server]\[master user folder]\[user ID].  That way you can hit everyone up with the same exact search path, but everyone still maintains their personalized PGP files.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 6
stevor

And you could avoid changing any PGP files,

by making autolisp defined commands of

the 1 or 2 key 'shortcuts.'

S

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost