Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Hatches

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
StanoV
404 Views, 6 Replies

Custom Hatches

I am trying to create a brick elevation hatch Mw/ mortar joints. I understand that when i start i have an orgin point, an x & y delta offset, a pen up or pen down length, but i can't get it to work. Is there a good step by step tutorial out there? I have looked at the help files within AutoCAD & it has got me started, but i am not following the procedure 100%
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: StanoV

open the acad.pat file in notepad or similar, you can find many similar patterns as examples. HTH "StanoV" wrote in message news:3520130.1081348864085.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I am trying to create a brick elevation hatch Mw/ mortar joints. I understand that when i start i have an orgin point, an x & y delta offset, a pen up or pen down length, but i can't get it to work. Is there a good step by step tutorial out there? I have looked at the help files within AutoCAD & it has got me started, but i am not following the procedure 100%
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Here's a sample more specific to your question than anything in acad.pat: *B-R-2,Modular Brick Running Bond Double-Line 0,0,0,4,2.666666,7.625,-.375 0,4,.375,4,2.666666,7.625,-.375 90,4,.375,2.666666,4,2.291666,-3.041666 90,3.625,.375,2.666666,4,2.291666,-3.041666 Besides, it's at real full size, instead of the truly stupid way AutoCAD does what they deign to call "brick." (That is, you use it at a hatch scale of one, instead of having to try to figure out what scale to make it be right in any real architectural drawing.) If you want to use that to see how to build them, you can go from there easily enough. But I have a whole mess of them, in single-line versions for smaller scales, and double-line versions for larger scales showing both sides of the mortar joints (like this one). I've got standard modular brick, jumbo, engineer, utility, CMU, 8" square CMU, and some other odds & ends, in (for most of those) running bond, stack bond, basketweave, herringbone, flemish bond, and section versions including the joints and the typical diagonal hatching. I'd be glad to post them here, if people are interested -- no charge. Kent Cooper, AIA "StanoV" wrote... > I am trying to create a brick elevation hatch Mw/ mortar joints. I understand that when i start i have an orgin point, an x & y delta offset, a pen up or pen down length, but i can't get it to work. Is there a good step by step tutorial out there? I have looked at the help files within AutoCAD & it has got me started, but i am not following the procedure 100%
Message 4 of 7
StanoV

Thanks for the pattern, but i was trying to learn how to put the sequence in myself so that i can create my own. The way i understand it is that the first set of numbers is the angle, then orgin start point, then you have the x & y delta offset, & then the pen up & pen down distance. Is that correct?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, that is correct. I think the help stuff is pretty clear about the sequence of ingredients (it's been a while since I did one of these): angle,x-origin,y-origin,delta-x,delta-y,dash-1,dash-2, ... The thing I recall having to get used to, that may be giving you trouble, too, is that I believe the x- and y- ORIGIN point coordinates are measured in the "world" coordinate system (positive x to the right, positive y upward), disregarding any angle for the lineset. This was unexpected to me originally, since you give it the angle before you give it the x-y origin point. But the x- and y- OFFSET (delta) values must be specified in relation to the rotated orientation (if any) of the lines you're defining, NOT in relation to the "world" coordinate system (except for zero-degree linesets, of course). Also remember that unlike optional elements in some lisp functions, here even if some of the options are "zero," you still have to put the zero in -- the only thing you don't need an entry for is the dash-1,dash-2,... sequence at the end if it's a continuous line. If you leave other elements out, it will read some input into the wrong categories, just as happens in a macro routine if it's built without accounting properly for the actual command prompt sequence. Kent Cooper, AIA "StanoV" wrote ... > Thanks for the pattern, but i was trying to learn how to put the sequence in myself so that i can create my own. The way i understand it is that the first set of numbers is the angle, then orgin start point, then you have the x & y delta offset, & then the pen up & pen down distance. Is that correct?
Message 6 of 7
StanoV

Thanks Kent, I am pretty much there when i put in the 0 degree angle coordinates, but i get messed up when i try to put in the 90 degree angle coordinates. i was unsure whether i rotate the x & y so that instead of the x going in the direction of left to right it will be going from down to up. Am i understanding that correctly?
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, for the x- and y- offsets (delta-x,delta-y). But the x- and y-ORIGIN point coordinates have to be with x from left to right, even if the lineset you are defining is at 90 degrees (or any other angle). Kent Cooper, AIA "StanoV" wrote ... > Thanks Kent, I am pretty much there when i put in the 0 degree angle coordinates, but i get messed up when i try to put in the 90 degree angle coordinates. i was unsure whether i rotate the x & y so that instead of the x going in the direction of left to right it will be going from down to up. Am i understanding that correctly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost