Did you mean: 

Creating dxf files - training required

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
paul.jones
325 Views, 2 Replies

Creating dxf files - training required

Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong location but I could not find a dxf forum.

I have written some C code to create a dxf file from some in-house database software we have. The original code just uses LINE etc. I then used a script (which the software also wrote) to finish the drawing i.e. add titles, fill polygons with hatches etc. 

The trouble is that this approach requires the user to have access to AutoCAD. We are only a small company (<10 people), so the MD is unlikely to by copies for the other two staff who need to create drawings from my data. Therefore, I would like to extend my program to remove the need for a script. 

I have tried to create a drawing and save it to dxf format. The amount of information in the file balloons. I tried to add another MTEXT object in the entities section but it would appear that an enitity entry alone is insufficent.

Does anyone know of any courses in the UK where one can learn how to understand the DXF format, or are there any UK based users who would consider trading beer for knowledge etc?

The autodesk dxf references are aimed at people who have capabilities beyond my own limits. I am not a programmer.

Any help gratefully appreciated...

PJ

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
owenwengerd
in reply to: paul.jones

I would contact Dietmar Rudolph of CR/LF. Dietmar (literally) wrote the book on DXF.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 3
paul.jones
in reply to: owenwengerd

Hello all,

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I have finally taken receipt of "Mastering AutoCAD 2000 Objects", and I think that all I need to know (for now) is there.

Cheers,

PJ

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost