Did you mean: 

Creating a solid rectangle shape file

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
8128 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a solid rectangle shape file

I want to create a custom linetype that uses a solid rectangle 0.5wide and 1.0 long.  Basically I want to create a shape file from an existing block I have so that I can insert it into the linetype definition.  Is there an easy way to do this in ACAD 2009?

Couchpotato

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There are two commands under the Express Pulldown menu:  Make Linetype and Make Shape.  If you get stuck refer to the help file under Customizing.

Message 3 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to create a custom linetype that uses a solid rectangle 0.5wide and 1.0 long.  Basically I want to create a shape file from an existing block....

I don't think a Shape can be truly solid, like a 2D Solid entity or a Hatch in the Solid pattern.  I believe you will need to define it with lines closely spaced so that with adequate lineweight they will plot solid.

But you might be able to get the effect you want it with embedded text, if you can find an appropriate character in some symbol text font.  I thought maybe a "string" of two solid-square characters in some Wingdings fonts I have would make a 2-to-1 ratio solid rectangle, but they don't touch if you put two of them together.  But the SYMAP font has one [character code 004A] that does touch when you string two together [at least in MS Word], so if you have that font, maybe you could use two of those, with appropriate scaling, etc.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 9
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

@Kent1Cooper wrote:

.... the SYMAP font has one [character code 004A] that does touch when you string two together [at least in MS Word], so if you have that font, maybe you could use two of those, with appropriate scaling, etc.

Well, maybe I take it back, as to the specifics if not the general idea.

In the Windows Fonts folder, SYMAP is a TrueType font, and in MS Word that character [which is a capital "J"] shows as a solid square, no matter how big I make it.  But I decided to try using it in a text Style in AutoCAD, thinking of trying to build the desired kind of linetype.  All I can get for SYMAP in the Style dialog box is a .shx file.  Using that, "J" makes a square with parallel lines inside, and is not really solid-filled.

Other TrueType fonts [including lots that are not in AutoCAD's Fonts folder] are available for use in AutoCAD Styles -- does anyone know why that one wouldn't be, or whether you can browse to other places to find it, or set some variable?

But poking around a little more, I find the lower-case g in the Webdings font is a solid square, that font in TrueType form is available for use in an AutoCAD Style, and at least as Text/Mtext, two in a row do make a solid 2-to-1 ratio rectangle.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

But Kent the OP said he wanted an 0.5 x 1.0 box, wouldn't it be easier to scale to true desired size/scale if you make a shape file.  I understand the shortcut you are looking for but I think the scaling wouldn't be proportional but it all depends on what you are looking for.

Message 6 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

But Kent the OP said he wanted an 0.5 x 1.0 box, wouldn't it be easier to scale to true desired size/scale if you make a shape file.  I understand the shortcut you are looking for but I think the scaling wouldn't be proportional but it all depends on what you are looking for.

Yes, if it's an open box, or if a box filled with lines close enough together to make it look solid when plotted is acceptable [see the first paragraph of my first Reply], I agree.  I was looking for a way to make a truly solid-filled rectangle, which would be that way regardless of scale or lineweight.

If it's done with embedded text [I experimented enough to find that "gg" in the Webdings font does it], they would need to fiddle around with the X and Y offsets and Scale and so on, to get it to come out the way they want.  Either way, they'll need to find the right on-off pattern to get the spacing they want between rectangles, and they'll need to apply linetype scale overrides to entities drawn with it, depending on the drawing scale.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I get what your saying, I have created such a shape in the past but not with lines as tight as the OP probably wants,  I figured a 5x10 unit box with lines crossing at 1 unit intervals would do the trick here and remember it had a scale factor of 2 all ready built into it in case I ever have to go in and adjust the shape file.  But like anything it all depends on the look you are going for.  Thanks for the banter.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you, I found the tools and it helped a lot. 

Couchpotato

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks, I think I will use a hatch patter of lines, (ansi32) and then explode them to create the shape.  Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost