Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert closed 3D mesh to 3D solid

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dviator
422 Views, 7 Replies

convert closed 3D mesh to 3D solid

anyone know of a routine that can convert a closed 3D polyline mesh to a 3D solid? (m2s.lsp only works for open meshes.) i ask because i've got 3D DWG files that were created in ArchiCAD and converted, but all the 3D objects are closed pline meshes and i need solids. TIA for any insights! (using A2k4, XP Pro.)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dviator

Check out the thread in the autodesk.arch-desktop.2005 newsgroup titled "Creating a 3D Swimming Pool" dated 1/16/2005. See my discussion with Paul Aubin regarding this. It may give you some ideas. -- Daniel J. Altamura, R.A. Altamura Architectural Consulting and SoftWorx, Autodesk Authorized Developer -------------------------------------------------------------------- "dviator" wrote in message news:19768196.1106252033248.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > anyone know of a routine that can convert a closed 3D polyline mesh to a > 3D solid? (m2s.lsp only works for open meshes.) i ask because i've got > 3D DWG files that were created in ArchiCAD and converted, but all the 3D > objects are closed pline meshes and i need solids. TIA for any insights! > (using A2k4, XP Pro.)
Message 3 of 8
dviator

thanks - interesting discussion, and it definitely gave me some ideas. one thing i'm looking at is the difference between a polyGON mesh and a polyFACE mesh (the items in the DWG files i have are polyFACE meshes, so i don't get the option of tinkering with the M and N directions via the properties palette as you suggested). seems every alleyway i turn down leads to either a dead end or another alley!
Message 4 of 8
GTASteve

How complex is your polyFACE mesh?

E.g. are we talking about say 100 faces or less?

Second, is your polyFACE simple, in the sense that, you could pick one point (x,y,z) on the "inside" of the object, that all faces' Normals, either point to, or away from it?

Cheers,

Steve
Message 5 of 8
dviator

there are actually several polyface meshes in the DWG (it's a drawing of a cabinet setup). when i initially open the DWG the cabinets come in as blocks. when i explode them, all the individual parts of the cabinets become polyface meshes with overlaying lines. i'll post the DWG in customer files for you to take a look at if you don't mind (it's called Men's Head 3D; the original 3D as it came in from ArchiCAD is on the right, on the left i pulled the upper cabinet away, exploded it and erased the overlaying lines so all you see are the polyface meshes.) thanks for the response.
Message 6 of 8
GTASteve

I checked out the file...

For now, it seems that it would be easiier to "trace" the model, with the BOX command, to create 3D SOLIDs, by picking each cubical area, from corner to corner.

That said, I'll look into an automated method.... something that just "does" it for you.

Cheers,
Steve
Message 7 of 8
dviator

thanks, much appreciated. i've got a demo version of AD 2005, when i get a chance i'm going to load it and see if there's anything useful in there.
Message 8 of 8
stefisko.com

How to convert a polyface mesh entity into a 3d solid?

1. Export the source polyface mesh object to a stl file. The best way to do this is to use STL4PolyFaceMeshes or alternativelly STL4Cad application.

2. Convert the resulting stl face data into a 3d solid object. The best and the only way to do this is to use STL2Solid or alternativelly STL2Cad.

--
STEFISKO.com - Fill gap in your AutoCAD
http://www.stefisko.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost