Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoLISP Limitations

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
517 Views, 3 Replies

AutoLISP Limitations

Our company uses different version of AutoCAD in difference office across the globe. I have written a program in VBA which is to migrated to another programming language like VB.net, C# or AutoLISP. 

I found out that vb.net or C# cannot be used on every version of AutoCAD. eg. AutoCAD 2013 has very different API for VB.net than lower versions

Does AutoLISP also has such limitations. Can I use AutoLISP to solve this problem.

Please guide.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
martti.halminen
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Our company uses different version of AutoCAD in difference office across the globe. I have written a program in VBA which is to migrated to another programming language like VB.net, C# or AutoLISP. 

I found out that vb.net or C# cannot be used on every version of AutoCAD. eg. AutoCAD 2013 has very different API for VB.net than lower versions

Does AutoLISP also has such limitations. Can I use AutoLISP to solve this problem.

AutoLISP is the most stable of AutoCAD programming interfaces, there have been very few changes in it for a long time (with the exception of Apple Mac version). The core language is the same on all (non-LT) AutoCAD variants.

Typically, when AutoLISP programs break in version changes, the reason is that the program uses AutoCAD command line commands, and those occasionally change.

Regrettably, the stability is largely caused by Autodesk not bothering to build programming interfaces for the newer components into AutoLISP, so there

are some new features you can't use. Also, the built-in user interface tools are rather restricted.

--

Message 3 of 4
JamesMaeding
in reply to: Anonymous

To solve what problem, that of maintaining code, or some specific task? You would have to say what you use it for to say if lisp can do it.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 4 of 4
stevor
in reply to: martti.halminen

Reportedly, the basic Autolisp functions have persisted thru the current release. The Vlisp augmentation is added to now and then. The Autocad commands sometimes change, which effects programs that use them. Most Autocad work that can be automated can be done thru Autolisp; which is probably why it has sold well. See http://www.lee-mac.com/, for a glimpse of the customization world. And Google will find most anything you can imagine.
S

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost