Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoLisp help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ajzeppy1
639 Views, 8 Replies

AutoLisp help

I'm currently taking a class that has us using AutoLisp to modify AutoCad.  My teacher has been using MicroStation for the past 5 years and this is his first time trying to teach us.  As you may have guessed; he's not very helpful as a teacher.

Okay. Sorry for the rant.  Now the question.

I have to create a program for the user to input a standard table with a given title that they will be asked to input.  It also has headings in the first row and the first column that need to appear when they place the title.

I've tried to use the table command, but it wont let me input information directly into the table.  I have to use text and absolute location to put the general info into the table. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SomeBuddy
in reply to: ajzeppy1

Hi,

This is not an easy task, I would say it's rather a difficult one. Of course, if you want to draw a dumb table, like using lines and stuff, it's easier, of course, it's the old way of building BOMs, but now we have table objects and table styles in AutoCAD, which are way smarter and more interesting, but creating them programmatically, it's not so obvious. Here is a PDF document, which (luckily) deals exactly with this stuffy:

http://augiru.augi.com/content/library/au07/data/paper/CP311-3.pdf

HTH

Message 3 of 9
scot-65
in reply to: SomeBuddy

I'm thinking the instructor wants to have the students generate a table the "dumb" way

in order to expose them to AutoLISP functions. The OP did not express the level of

understanding being taught (beginner DRFT101, expert 310)...

POLAR will be your best friend here...

Angles expressed in Radians (/ pi 2).

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 4 of 9
ajzeppy1
in reply to: scot-65

Yes Scot-65.  He is trying to have us do it the dumb way.  However, the new requirements for the assignment is wanting us to understand the SETVAR and LIST functions.  We're working straight out of the book, and doing all the exercises.  He gives them to us without explaining anything.  Any ideas of where i can find some good tutorials?

Thanks

Joe 

Message 5 of 9
ajzeppy1

I guess I should have also mentioned that this is my first time ever using AutoLisp.  I don't understand some of the things you told me to try.  I'm at a very basic level with the program; i.e. getstring, getvar, and just recently list.

Thanks again for all your help.

joe

Message 6 of 9
lpseifert

@ajzeppy1 wrote:

Any ideas of where i can find some good tutorials?

Thanks

Joe 

This is a good source

http://www.afralisp.net/index.php

~~~Civil 3D 2008~~~
Message 7 of 9
stevor

Some help:

1. Use the subject line to help: you want a tutorial, write 'Lisp tutorial wanted.'

All the topics here are about lisp help, or almost all, you want to read them all?

2. For google, or any search engine, use "autocad lisp tutorial"  or " autolisp tutorial" with and without the quotes.

3. When you are working on a particular apect of the programming, like using 'mapcar' or something then add that keyword to your search string, and maybe preface it with a '+' sign, like 

Autolisp +mapcar

S
Message 8 of 9
ajzeppy1

Thanks Stevor.

I wasn't sure how I was going to get help, and I've been very frustrated with this whole class.  I'm graduating this fall, and this is a class that I won't need for at least five more years.  They're talking about taking it off the catalog for undergrads.  Yet, I still have to finish it. 😞

Thanks again

Joe

Message 9 of 9
SomeBuddy

You should try "AutoLISP in plain English", by George O. Head. It's at a very basic level, for the very beginners and it has a lot of tutorials, among which there is one about building a grid, so I imagine that this could help. One link here (there are many more, so maybe you find a better deal):

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL1115189M/AutoLISP_in_plain_English

Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost