Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append Layer Translation File

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
775 Views, 4 Replies

Append Layer Translation File

When you run the layer translator, it asks you to save the mapping information to a file. I want to access the information in this file so I can build my own file because the layer translator does not give us the ability to append information to the same file.

I want to know how to append layer translation mappings to the same file so that I can maintain a running list of mapped layers as I go along translating layers of x number of files.

Programmatically, does anyone know how to access layer translation data stored in the translation file?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

No answers to this? 

I've got a number of floor plans mixed with blocks with layer names based upon the floor no.

so say floor one   xx_1_stairs in one drawing file.

Then in another file (floor two) I may have a blocks and features containing a mix of layers copied over from floor 1.

I want to rename all those using one standards file to xx_2_stairs etc...

Layertrans seems to just overwrite previous translations which is no use if extra layers gets added

Message 3 of 5
cadffm

a) import all files in one, create your mappinglist, finish
. (many Files? Use Xref, bind with Option Insert)

Or your tired away

b) save 1floor mapping as mymap.dwg
. Open 2floor, insert mymap.dwg, run Layconv an import mapping file(mymap.dwg)

-

c) Use other ways
3rdPart programs or a simple Scrpt.scr File
- Sebastian -
Message 4 of 5
SeeMSixty7
in reply to: cadffm

@cadffm wrote:
a) import all files in one, create your mappinglist, finish
. (many Files? Use Xref, bind with Option Insert)

Great idea! Might be a massive file when done, but you only need it to get the translation file setup.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

cool yeah creating a file separately seems to be the way to go.

a bit of jiggery pokery but this is what I've ended up doing:

-To add new mappings but keep previous-

For this I'm using 3 files; one "raw" one standards file and the working drawing.

after making your first off standard file, go to your working drawing but before running the translator to map everything you need to use a legend lisp to plot out a list of "bad" layers in the drawing that need re mapping.

Copy this list to the modelspace of the "raw" file and keep for a later date along side the dws.

Do all your mappings based upon your standards file and overwrite if it is still new.

Now if a new load of additional bad layers come in > open up the raw file and copy your layers > Paste to your working drawing > run layertrans using your standards file which will carry out your previous mappings > add in your new mappings and overwrite your previous dws which will include your old ones... oh and run purge so you don't feel all dirty inside.

-Quickly creating a duplicate dws with different layer names- 

Theres probably another lisp out there for it but for changing the odd character in each layer ie floor1-building to floor2-building otherwise open up your dws in Acad > using Rename select all the layers with a wild card eg floor1*  and change with floor2* leaving the rest of the name intact > save back as a dws and voila.

On a separate note i'm finding the standards checker quite useful also by allowing it to check incoming objects and giving the option to amend layers there and then... feeling clean again Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost