Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angle from XY plane

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
kpennell
3661 Views, 21 Replies

Angle from XY plane

So I've done a lot of searching this morning on "angles", and I couldn't find anything for getting the "out-of-plane" angle.

I'd like the user to pick two points, and return somehow the angle out of plane.

Thanks

KP

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
raulbueno
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hi Kent. Very nice one!

About the angle: In urban studies, or urban streets design we need to know what is the slope, most of the in percentage, so, the angle, positive or negative doesn't matter (in any case, its good to know). In some case de slope is measured in fractions, like 1:10 instead of 10%. But I think percentage is more usual.

I´ve tryed it using lines created in 3d from contours, with are also in 3d. Most of the times I'm getting a message error: error:

bad argument type: numberp: nil

Sometimes, when I select a 3d arc, then the line, the lisp tells me the data one the line!

And sometimes I get the right result. Anyway, most of the times, the objects are away from the XY plane, like one line starting from 0,0,3 and 3,0,10. Thats because we draw the lines from the contours.

In the image bellow I created an arc and then the line, both based in the contours. Sometimes, clicking firts in the line helps to obtain the data on the line.

Captura de tela 2015-09-16 12.04.23.png

Message 22 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: raulbueno

@raulbueno wrote:

I´ve tryed it using lines created in 3d from contours, with are also in 3d. Most of the times I'm getting a message error: error:

bad argument type: numberp: nil

Sometimes, when I select a 3d arc, then the line, the lisp tells me the data one the line!

It has a built-in restriction [the same as ReportSlope.lsp's RS command] to accept only straight things, because on a curved one, the slope will vary depending on exactly where you pick it. That would be the reason it doesn't work with Arcs [watch the prompt line -- it's asking you to pick again, at which time if you pick a Line, it works], or Polyline arc segments, or spline-curved Polylines, or Splines.  If you can live with the "slop" factor in reporting the slope of a curve, the restriction could be removed.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost