Did you mean: 

aligned dimensions change to rotated dimensions

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mburnett
6393 Views, 10 Replies

aligned dimensions change to rotated dimensions

I was adding a lot of aligned dimensions to a drawing and some where along the way they changed from aligned dimensions to rotated dimensions, even in the same string of dimensions. Any ideas on what happened? Thanks.

ShadowBaby
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pbejse
in reply to: mburnett

@mburnett wrote:

I was adding a lot of aligned dimensions to a drawing and some where along the way they changed from aligned dimensions to rotated dimensions, even in the same string of dimensions. Any ideas on what happened? Thanks.

Thats a peculiar behaviour of a dimension entiy if i ever see one. Can you post that file here. 

Message 3 of 11
mburnett
in reply to: pbejse

The red dimensions are the aligned dimensions. I started in the upper left corner with the aligned dimensions and when I got to the right side I noticed the style had changed.

ShadowBaby
Message 4 of 11
Kent1Cooper

@mburnett wrote:

If you used DIMCONTINUE or DIMBASELINE following an Aligned Dimension, that's what happens -- subsequent Dimensions are of the Rotated type, using the same dimension-line/text rotation angle as the initial Aligned one.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 11
mburnett
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

So that's what happened. I did use DIMCONTINUE. Thanks.

Is there a way to start with a rotated dimension type? I find that type very useful.

ShadowBaby
Message 6 of 11
Kent1Cooper

@mburnett wrote:

So that's what happened. I did use DIMCONTINUE. Thanks.

Is there a way to start with a rotated dimension type? I find that type very useful.

DIMLINEAR if you want one you can make either horizontal or vertical in the drawing of it, or DIMHORIZONTAL or DIMVERTICAL to restrict it to one or the other, or [as you might expect -- read all about it in Help] DIMROTATED -- it will ask you for the dimensioning-direction angle.  All will result in "Rotated" type Dimensions.  [You can also use the DIM command and its HOR, VER, ROT, ALI (etc.) subcommands.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 11
mburnett

Thank you, I will give that a try.

ShadowBaby
Message 8 of 11
scot-65

@mburnett wrote:

One would have to get into customization to do this.

Basically:

Command UCS and use the "3p" method: Select 2 points as the x-axis then return for the third.

Command DIMLINEAR is followed (or equal).

Command UCS and option "World" or whatever to reset.

Our dimension utility has both Aligned and Rotated.

The difference is one is temporary for a single string of dimensions, while

the other stays rotated until UCS/World or Reset inside the utility is selected.

One could possibly write macros for this and create three toolbar buttons:

Aligned, Rotated, and Reset.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 9 of 11
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: scot-65

@scot-65 wrote:

Command UCS and use the "3p" method: Select 2 points as the x-axis then return for the third.

Command DIMLINEAR is followed (or equal).

Command UCS and option "World" or whatever to reset.

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but I think the same could be accomplished by simply using DIMROTATED and giving those same "2 points as the x-axis" to define the dimension-line rotation angle.  [That's what DIMROTATED exists for -- dimension lines in non-orthogonal directions.]  No UCS change or reset required.

Or am I misunderstanding the intent?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 10 of 11
mburnett

DIMROTATED is the command I was looking for. I couldn't located it on the ribbon and didn't know the key-in.

Thanks everyone.

ShadowBaby
Message 11 of 11
scot-65

Oops,

We had (and still have) custom dimaligned and dimrotated WAY before the

DIM command was exploded into individual dimensioning commands.

We still use them over the newer, individual commands the editor now offers.

For the newbies here, they realize the power, and they too have abandoned

the editor's dimension tools.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost