3D point from x & y?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
mid-awe
747 Views, 22 Replies

3D point from x & y?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find acceptable point values to feed to the vlax-3d-point function for a vla-addmtext function. With vanilla lisp I just provide the point as x y = "7/32" "2-3/8". So I assumed that I could drop a 0 in for the z like: (VLAX-3D-POINT "7/32" "2-3/8" 0) but I wouldn't be asking for help if it had worked. 🙂

Then I thought I was going to be tricksy and try (vlax-3D-point (getpoint)) believing that I could pick the point and get what I need to feed the function, but yet again, no deal. The command line gave me: 

node
of #<variant 8197 ...>

Nothing I can use in my code. So how do I find the point in a format that vlax-3d-point will like?

Thank you.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
stevor
in reply to: Lee_Mac

What coordinate system would be used for that, and for entmakex?
S
Message 22 of 23
mid-awe
in reply to: stevor

Lee is certainly the right one to ask, but since I'm here 🙂

I would utilize: (trans pt from to [disp]) to eliminate the possibility of faulting. I work in WCS all of the time unless I'm working directly with a single entity. Fortunately, trans has 3D covered as well.

just my 2¢
Message 23 of 23
Lee_Mac
in reply to: stevor

@stevor wrote:
What coordinate system would be used for that, and for entmakex?

The addmtext ActiveX method requires the MText insertion point to be expressed relative to the WCS, and the insertion point supplied to entmake[x] (DXF group 10) also uses a WCS point.

However, note that MText is an exception in this respect: almost all planar objects (Arcs, Circles, Block References, Text, Attribute References, LWPolylines etc.) will use points expressed relative to the OCS of the entity (which is calculated using the Arbitrary Axis Algorithm). MText is one of a number of planar objects that do not use the OCS - other exceptions include Ellipses, Viewports and some Dimension definition points.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost