VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBA 7.1

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
5980 Views, 4 Replies

VBA 7.1

Wow, I just run some of my old code on a 64bit and it runs fast. We have been delaying our OS upgrade to 64 bit due to our VBA code running unacceptably slow.

I am glad that Autodesk has had a change of heart. Is anyone as excited as me.!!!! I have been coding in .NET for two years now and I just learned that AutoCAD 2014 has fixed the issue with VBA 64bit.

Do you think that now VBA runs on 64bit that they intend to keep the support for it?

I ask because I prefer VBA IDE, but I have now dedicated couple of years programming in .NET  . If VBA is staying I may switch back.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I ask because I prefer VBA IDE, but I have now dedicated couple of years programming

>> in .NET  . If VBA is staying I may switch back

My personal opinion: I would never switch back, especially when you already got known to dotNET-development.

1) up to now you have no guarantee that Autodesk continues the support for VBA (but much more focus on dotNET)

2) there are some conflicts with 32bit/64bit ActiveX-controls (e.g. some old Office controls) that makes it hard (or impossible) to run the same VBA-macro on VBA7/64bit (e.g. >>>click<<<)

3) Your VBA code does not run on systems that have not installed the VBA-enabler, while dotNET apps will always run.

4) dotNET code runs faster than VBA macros and you can go deeper into AutoCAD with dotNET

my 2c, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you Alfred.

You have very valid points. Now I am queries as to how much recourse Autodesk is currently dedicating towards the .NET vs. VBA.

I currently have thousands of code in VBA and I have been slowly and painstakingly trying to convert them to .NET  .  I go very exited for VBA 7.1 news. But I think I will utilize VBA 7.1 for my old code and take your advice for all future code.

Thank you again Alfred

-J

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

VBA implementation is the domain of Microsoft, not AutoDesk.  At some point Microsoft could again decide to suspend further development and AutoDesk would have no choice but to follow suit as they did before.  And, skills with dotNET are more readily transferrable to creating stand-alone EXEs for non-AutoCAD applications.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

I concur . . .

Thank you, will stick with .NET then

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost