VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use 64 bit .net to connect to .mdb

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
rghill76
1418 Views, 1 Reply

Use 64 bit .net to connect to .mdb

I have a vba project that extensively connects to an Access database and retrieves data like part numbers, descriptions, costs etc.  This all worked great in 2006 and even to some extent in 2010.  We are now running AutoCAD 2010 x64 and I would like to start the migration using vb.net, but the old method of using ActiveX 2.8 doesn't work in 64 bit code.  Due to the fact that so much of the application relies on the database, it is the first hurdle that I need to get past.  The database is located on our server which I am not allowed to install SQL Server Express (or anything like it).  Has anyone had any experiences like this or know of a workaround?

Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
norman.yuan
in reply to: rghill76

It is  not because of you using VBA or VB.NET. It is because of 64-bit AutoCAD. MS does not support JET DB engine for 64-bit, so your VBA code that uses 32-bit Jet Engine to access data in *.mdb file stops work.

If you have to use *.mdb or *.accdb as your database in 64-bit AutoCAD, then you need to install MS Acess Database Engine 64-bit by either installing 64-bit MS Access, or download it from MS site. Important note, though, if the computer has 32-bit MS office 2007/2010 installed (verly likely) then you cannot install 64-bit MS Access DB Engine. You need to remove 32-bit MS Office and install MS Office 2010 64-bit (if the user has to have MS Office).

It is better to move to SQL Server (Exress), now that you are moving to .NET technology. If your *.mdb can be shared across network, why SQL Server (Express) cannot be installed somewhere in the network? Well, during you do development, you can install SQL Server Express in your computer locally. If your program turns out to be good to the production, installing an SQL Server Express instance somewhere in the network is simply and easy.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost