VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing 1 item from a dynamic array?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
473 Views, 13 Replies

Removing 1 item from a dynamic array?

Can anyone show me an example of how to remove a single item from an array? For example, if I have added items to an array to get this: item1 item2 item3 item4 item5 and I need to remove item3 so the array now consists of this: item1 item2 item4 item5 The catch being that I wouldn't know an exact number or index position - all I have is partial text string to match. So in this example I would be using: Like "*3" somewhere... right? This ties into my earlier question about identifying the total number of items in a dynamic array...
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The way I have done it in the past is to swap items 3 and 5 then do a redim preserve array(4). I don't know of a better way. if it were a listbox then you could just do a x = me.ListBox1.ListIndex listbox1.removeitem x If there is a better way for an array I would like to know. David Urban pkirill wrote: > Can anyone show me an example of how to remove a single item from an array? > For example, if I have added items to an array to get this: > > item1 > item2 > item3 > item4 > item5 > > and I need to remove item3 so the array now consists of this: > > item1 > item2 > item4 > item5 > > The catch being that I wouldn't know an exact number or index position - all > I have is partial text string to match. So in this example I would be > using: Like "*3" somewhere... right? > > This ties into my earlier question about identifying the total number of > items in a dynamic array... > >
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

my opinion: abandon arrays, use collections "pkirill" wrote in message news:4087efae$1_3@newsprd01... > Can anyone show me an example of how to remove a single item from an array?
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

I'd be happy to - after reading your other reply it sounds like a much easier option. Unfortunately for me, I know less about creating a collection than I do an array! I thought collections were built in - I did not know you could make your own. Or can you? Could you toss out an example? "Mark Propst" wrote in message news:4087f31d_2@newsprd01... > my opinion: abandon arrays, use collections > > "pkirill" wrote in message > news:4087efae$1_3@newsprd01... > > Can anyone show me an example of how to remove a single item from an > array? > >
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Sub TestCollection() Dim colStuff as New Collection colStuff.Add "Whatever" colStuff.Add "Whatever else" dim i as integer for i = 1 to 25 colStuff.Add i next colStuff.Add "Even more stuff" colStuff.Add "Even more stuff" colStuff.Add "Whatever else" colStuff.Add "Even more stuff" for i = 1 to colStuff.count debug.print colStuff(i) next set colStuff = Nothing end sub note collections are 1 based where arrays are (usually) 0 based "pkirill" wrote in message news:408809cd$1_2@newsprd01... > I'd be happy to - after reading your other reply it sounds like a much > easier option. Unfortunately for me, I know less about creating a > collection than I do an array! I thought collections were built in - I did > not know you could make your own. Or can you? Could you toss out an > example? > > > "Mark Propst" wrote in message > news:4087f31d_2@newsprd01... > > my opinion: abandon arrays, use collections > > > > "pkirill" wrote in message > > news:4087efae$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Can anyone show me an example of how to remove a single item from an > > array? > > > > > >
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Forget collections as well. Use a Dictionary - Microsoft's not Autodesk's. It takes collections to the next level - AND includes a remove item method. Here is an example of late-binding to it: Dim mDict As Object Set mDict = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") Paste the code with a break and play with the mDict in the immediate window while your code is broken. You could also just set a reference to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime and use the object browser tto explore it. -- ___________________________ Mike Tuersley CADalyst's AutoCAD Clinic Rand IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Right! I always forget about that one. Seems like I've seen some comments about why not to use them, but if you're recommending them that's enough for me! now to retrain my habits!!! Thanks Mark "Mike Tuersley" wrote in message news:1sc65ulx61qv4.15yh7kha9d80k$.dlg@40tude.net... > Forget collections as well. Use a Dictionary - Microsoft's not Autodesk's.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, Mark and Mike - It seems collections are easier than I thought... Certainly easier than an array in this case. Thanks for all the details, much appreciated! "Mark Propst" wrote in message news:40882eba$1_3@newsprd01... > Right! > I always forget about that one. > Seems like I've seen some comments about why not to use them, but if you're > recommending them that's enough for me! > > now to retrain my habits!!! > Thanks > Mark > > "Mike Tuersley" wrote in message > news:1sc65ulx61qv4.15yh7kha9d80k$.dlg@40tude.net... > > Forget collections as well. Use a Dictionary - Microsoft's not Autodesk's. > >
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Hmmm.... only reasons I can think of are: 1. Purist - sticking to just what vba offers 2. Possibly some incompatability between different OSs I use it all the time and haven't run into any issues with it. One of my most common implementations is using it with a text file *if* the customer's other software that I am integrating with only kicks out text. I'll populate the dict with the text data so I can search, etc. 'Course if there is a valid argument against it, I'd have to re-asses my approach;) Mike -- ___________________________ Mike Tuersley CADalyst's AutoCAD Clinic Rand IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I'm definitely not certain (hows that for a phrase? 🙂 ) that there are any valid reasons against it. ...just a little dust floating in the back of my cobwebbed brain hollows that thought it heard something somewhere once maybe...uh....hmm.... The other aspect I've considered in regard to either collections or dictionaries is *if* I need to store info - either in the dwg or otherwise - then I need to transfer the data from the temporary storage to an acad dictionary or store it in xml or text or whatever and somehow key that file to the dwg. Thats why I need to study your other example on xml - so that it could be transferred from the scripting dict (since that will be a convenient though transient storage medium). "Mike Tuersley" wrote in message news:k0u7e3pseyo$.g7kg2fqo2ihl$.dlg@40tude.net... > Hmmm.... only reasons I can think of are: > > 'Course if there is a valid argument against it, I'd have to re-asses my > approach;) > > Mike
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

If you want a more detailed example on xml, let me know. The one posted is very basic and uses a SQL query against it instead of a normal parser.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

oooh oooh oooh! :-) Yes please, that'd be really nice! I got the two references installed/ the vbaccelerator treeview control and the 2.8mdac and that's a great little example of using different storage mediums for the same info. a further example on xml would be much appreciated.... always easier to learn from a few actual examples than reems of msdn pages! Thanks in advance Mark "Mike Tuersley" wrote in message news:1jc7sj0rgon5s$.2i20vfwqhnzt$.dlg@40tude.net... > If you want a more detailed example on xml, let me know. The one posted is > very basic and uses a SQL query against it instead of a normal parser.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I wrote an XML reader and writer that uses the parser. It uses a simple file that I save my UDT to and load my UDT from each time. I found documentation on how to use an XML file in VB very sparse. Thanks MS. I have attached my file. David Urban Mark Propst wrote: > oooh oooh oooh! :-) > Yes please, that'd be really nice! > I got the two references installed/ the vbaccelerator treeview control and > the 2.8mdac > and that's a great little example of using different storage mediums for the > same info. > > a further example on xml would be much appreciated.... > always easier to learn from a few actual examples than reems of msdn pages! > Thanks in advance > Mark > > "Mike Tuersley" wrote in message > news:1jc7sj0rgon5s$.2i20vfwqhnzt$.dlg@40tude.net... > >>If you want a more detailed example on xml, let me know. The one posted is >>very basic and uses a SQL query against it instead of a normal parser. > > > Attribute VB_Name = "XML" Option Explicit Public Sub Save_toXML() Dim oDoc As DOMDocument Dim oAlg As IXMLDOMElement Dim oSta As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement Dim oRoot As IXMLDOMElement Dim oStation As IXMLDOMAttribute Set oDoc = Nothing Set oDoc = New DOMDocument oDoc.async = False On Error Resume Next oDoc.Load (fXMLFile) Set oRoot = oDoc.documentElement 'If Err.Number <> 0 Then oDoc.resolveExternals = True If oDoc.parseError <> 0 Then ' Create processing instruction and document root Set oAlg = oDoc.createProcessingInstruction("xml", "version='1.0'") Set oAlg = oDoc.insertBefore(oAlg, oDoc.childNodes.Item(0)) ' Create document root Set oRoot = oDoc.createElement("Project_" & CStr(Project)) Set oDoc.documentElement = oRoot ' oRoot.setAttribute "xmlns:dt", "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" 'Else 'Set oRoot = oDoc.documentElement End If Err.Clear Dim events As Variant, alignName As String Dim x As Integer, name As String, name2 As String name = Replace(algname, " ", "_") alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name Set oAlg = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) name2 = oAlg.baseName If name2 <> "" Then oRoot.removeChild oAlg End If Set oAlg = oDoc.createElement(name) oRoot.appendChild oAlg For x = LBound(AlignPt, 1) To UBound(AlignPt, 1) Set oSta = oDoc.createElement("Sta" & Format(AlignPt(x).Station, "0.00")) oAlg.appendChild oSta Write_XMLStation oSta, oDoc, AlignPt(x) Next x ' Save xml file oDoc.Save fXMLFile End Sub Public Function Load_fromXML() As Boolean Dim oDoc As DOMDocument Dim oAlg As IXMLDOMNode, nodes As IXMLDOMNode Dim oSta As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement Set oDoc = Nothing Set oDoc = New DOMDocument oDoc.async = False On Error Resume Next oDoc.Load (fXMLFile) 'Set oRoot = oDoc.documentElement 'If Err.Number <> 0 Then oDoc.resolveExternals = True If oDoc.parseError = 0 Then Dim alignName As String Dim x As Integer, name As String, name2 As String name = Replace(algname, " ", "_") alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name Set oAlg = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) Debug.Print Err.Number name2 = oAlg.baseName If name2 <> "" Then Debug.Print Err.Number ReDim AlignPt(oAlg.childNodes.length - 1) For x = 0 To oAlg.childNodes.length - 1 Set oSta = oAlg.childNodes.Item(x) Read_XMLStation oSta, AlignPt(x) Next x Load_fromXML = True End If End If Set oDoc = Nothing End Function Public Function Delete_Sta_fromXML(Station) As Boolean Dim oDoc As DOMDocument Delete_Sta_fromXML = False Dim oAlg As IXMLDOMElement Dim oSta As IXMLDOMNode Dim oRoot As IXMLDOMElement, oTree As IXMLDOMNamedNodeMap Set oDoc = Nothing Set oDoc = New DOMDocument oDoc.async = False On Error Resume Next oDoc.Load (fXMLFile) Set oRoot = oDoc.documentElement If Err.Number = 0 Then oDoc.resolveExternals = True If oDoc.parseError = 0 Then Dim alignName As String Dim x As Integer, name As String name = Replace(algname, " ", "_") alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name Set oAlg = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name & "//" & "Sta" & Format(Station, "0.00") Set oSta = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) oAlg.removeChild oSta oDoc.Save fXMLFile Delete_Sta_fromXML = True End If End If End Function Public Function Update_station(temp As junctions) As Boolean Dim oDoc As DOMDocument Update_station = False Dim oAlg As IXMLDOMNode, nodes As IXMLDOMNode Dim oSta As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement Update_station = False Set oDoc = Nothing Set oDoc = New DOMDocument oDoc.async = False Err.Clear: On Error Resume Next oDoc.Load (fXMLFile) If Err.Number = 0 Then oDoc.resolveExternals = True If oDoc.parseError = 0 Then Dim alignName As String Dim x As Integer, name As String, name2 As String name = Replace(algname, " ", "_") alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name Set oAlg = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name & "//" & "Sta" & Format(temp.Station, "0.00") Set oSta = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) Debug.Print Err.Number name2 = oSta.baseName If name2 <> "" Then oAlg.removeChild oSta End If Set oSta = oDoc.createElement("Sta" & Format(temp.Station, "0.00")) oAlg.appendChild oSta Write_XMLStation oSta, oDoc, temp oDoc.Save fXMLFile Update_station = True End If End If End Function Private Sub Write_XMLStation(oSta As IXMLDOMElement, oDoc As DOMDocument, temp As junctions) Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement, oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement oSta.setAttribute "Station", temp.Station oSta.setAttribute "Event", temp.Event oSta.setAttribute "Direction", temp.Direction oSta.setAttribute "DirectionUP", temp.DirectionUP oSta.setAttribute "Easting", temp.Easting oSta.setAttribute "Northing", temp.Northing oSta.setAttribute "Pipesize", temp.Pipesize oSta.setAttribute "PipesizeUP", temp.PipesizeUP oSta.setAttribute "Flowline", temp.FlowLine Set oLat1 = oDoc.createElement("Lateral1") oSta.appendChild oLat1 oLat1.setAttribute "name", temp.Lateral1.name oLat1.setAttribute "Station", temp.Lateral1.INTStation oLat1.setAttribute "count", temp.Lateral1.count oLat1.setAttribute "Direction", temp.Lateral1.Direction oLat1.setAttribute "eEast", temp.Lateral1.EndEasting oLat1.setAttribute "eNorth", temp.Lateral1.EndNorthing oLat1.setAttribute "eSta", temp.Lateral1.EndStation Set oLat2 = oDoc.createElement("Lateral2") oSta.appendChild oLat2 oLat2.setAttribute "name", temp.Lateral2.name oLat2.setAttribute "Station", temp.Lateral2.INTStation oLat2.setAttribute "count", temp.Lateral2.count oLat2.setAttribute "Direction", temp.Lateral2.Direction oLat2.setAttribute "eEast", temp.Lateral2.EndEasting oLat2.setAttribute "eNorth", temp.Lateral2.EndNorthing oLat2.setAttribute "eSta", temp.Lateral2.EndStation End Sub Private Sub Read_XMLStation(oSta As IXMLDOMElement, temp As junctions) Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement, oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement With temp .Station = oSta.getAttribute("Station") .Event = oSta.getAttribute("Event") .Direction = oSta.getAttribute("Direction") .DirectionUP = oSta.getAttribute("DirectionUP") .Easting = oSta.getAttribute("Easting") .Northing = oSta.getAttribute("Northing") .Pipesize = oSta.getAttribute("Pipesize") .PipesizeUP = oSta.getAttribute("PipesizeUP") .FlowLine = oSta.getAttribute("Flowline") Set oLat1 = oSta.firstChild .Lateral1.name = oLat1.getAttribute("name") .Lateral1.INTStation = oLat1.getAttribute("Station") .Lateral1.count = oLat1.getAttribute("count") .Lateral1.Direction = oLat1.getAttribute("Direction") .Lateral1.EndEasting = oLat1.getAttribute("eEast") .Lateral1.EndNorthing = oLat1.getAttribute("eNorth") .Lateral1.EndStation = oLat1.getAttribute("eSta") Set oLat2 = oSta.lastChild .Lateral2.name = oLat2.getAttribute("name") .Lateral2.INTStation = oLat2.getAttribute("Station") .Lateral2.count = oLat2.getAttribute("count") .Lateral2.Direction = oLat2.getAttribute("Direction") .Lateral2.EndEasting = oLat2.getAttribute("eEast") .Lateral2.EndNorthing = oLat2.getAttribute("eNorth") .Lateral2.EndStation = oLat2.getAttribute("eSta") End With End Sub Public Function read_rec_fromXML(alignmentName As String, Station As Double, Xtemp As junctions) As Boolean Dim oDoc As DOMDocument read_rec_fromXML = False Dim oAlg As IXMLDOMNode, nodes As IXMLDOMNode Dim oSta As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement Set oDoc = Nothing Set oDoc = New DOMDocument oDoc.async = False Err.Clear: On Error Resume Next oDoc.Load (fXMLFile) If Err.Number = 0 Then oDoc.resolveExternals = True If oDoc.parseError = 0 Then Dim alignName As String Dim x As Integer, name As String, name2 As String name = Replace(alignmentName, " ", "_") alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name Set oAlg = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name & "//" & "Sta" & Format(Station, "0.00") Set oSta = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) Debug.Print Err.Number name2 = oSta.baseName If name2 <> "" Then Read_XMLStation oSta, Xtemp read_rec_fromXML = True End If End If End If End Function Public Function delete_begin_end(events As String) As Boolean Dim oDoc As DOMDocument Dim oAlg As IXMLDOMNode, nodes As IXMLDOMNode Dim oSta As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat1 As IXMLDOMElement Dim oLat2 As IXMLDOMElement Update_station = False Set oDoc = Nothing Set oDoc = New DOMDocument oDoc.async = False Err.Clear: On Error Resume Next oDoc.Load (fXMLFile) If Err.Number = 0 Then oDoc.resolveExternals = True If oDoc.parseError = 0 Then Dim alignName As String Dim x As Integer, name As String, name2 As String name = Replace(algname, " ", "_") alignName = "//Project_" & CStr(Project) & "//" & name Set oAlg = oDoc.selectSingleNode(alignName) Set oSta = oAlg.firstChild While oAlg.nextSibling <> oAlg.lastChild Select Case events Case "Begin" If oSta.getAttribute("Event") = "Begin Construction" Then oAlg.removeChild oSta End If Case "End" If oSta.getAttribute("Event") = "End Construction" Then oAlg.removeChild oSta End If End Select Set oSta = oAlg.nextSibling Wend End If End If End Function
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks David, for that sample. I'll be studying that as soon as i dig out from under this pile of work! Mark "David Urban" wrote in message news:408d0afd$1_2@newsprd01... > I wrote an XML reader and writer that uses the parser. It uses a simple > file that I save my UDT to and load my UDT from each time. I found > documentation on how to use an XML file in VB very sparse. Thanks MS. > I have attached my file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost