VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you tell what version of AutoCAD a file is from?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
237 Views, 2 Replies

How can you tell what version of AutoCAD a file is from?

Hello all, Seems there's no good resource for MDT customization so I'll post my question here (and everywhere else I can find). How can you tell if a DWG is a MDT file, a Mechanical file or just a plain AutoCAD vanilla file? The ADN told me to look for unique libraries in the file but I don't buy it...the Autodesk Batch Drawing Converter can identify any file I throw at it so I know there's a quick and easy method. Any ideas? Jim Dowthwaite Please reply to jdowthwaite@netstream.ca if possible
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
wivory
in reply to: Anonymous

Try examining the first half-dozen bytes or so in the drawing. For example, opening an AutoCAD 2002 drawing in a hex editor I can see "AC1015".

Regards

Wayne Ivory
IT Analyst Programmer
Wespine Industries Pty Ltd
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, I've never had to worry about that. Just taking a quick look at the file header I see a difference in byte 11 from plain AutoCAD to the verticals. This might be a subversion indicator or something like it. For example, all plain 2002 files have a 0D value in byte 11, but ADT 3 files have a 0B value But of course, I'm just making a very wild guess here. -- Saludos, Ing. Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica (sorry, phony e-mail, SPAM made me do it) "Jim Dowthwaite" wrote in message news:403a4208_3@newsprd01... > Hello all, > > Seems there's no good resource for MDT customization so I'll post my > question here (and everywhere else I can find). > > How can you tell if a DWG is a MDT file, a Mechanical file or just a plain > AutoCAD vanilla file? The ADN told me to look for unique libraries in the > file but I don't buy it...the Autodesk Batch Drawing Converter can identify > any file I throw at it so I know there's a quick and easy method. > > Any ideas? > > Jim Dowthwaite > > Please reply to jdowthwaite@netstream.ca if possible > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost