VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD as DDE client

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
cbolwerk
516 Views, 1 Reply

AutoCAD as DDE client

I am trying to figure out if I can use AutoCAD as a DDE client.

What I would like to be able to do is to dynamically change the color of valves, piping, etc. on a P&ID drawing. I could do this through Excel, but the "originating" program is a DDE server (technically, an OPC server) and would prefer to do it direct. In Excel, all I have to do is to refer to the server, topic name, and tag name, and any time the value changes, the Excel cell is updated (either a 1 or a 0). I would like to be able to do this with AutoCAD. If the value changes to a 1, change the color of the valve to green. If it is 0, change the color to red.

Is this at all possible? I have looked in the discussion groups and don't see anything exactly like I am looking for. Also, seems that there is some question as to whether the latest versions of AutoCAD support DDE anymore?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
gte383f
in reply to: cbolwerk

This is a little late, but... I'm trying something similar.  Connecting Inventor models to an OPC server to actually watch armatures move.  I'm assuming this entails A: building what interface I need of an OPC client, and B: figuring out the API enough to manipulate the constraints and animation functions.

Incredibly new to AutoDesk.  Looking for any direction to go so I don't have to reinvent the wheel (should it already be invented for me in part)

thx,

Jonathan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost