VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative for my current method of retrieving beam (solid entity) lengths.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
gizmowiebe
330 Views, 1 Reply

Alternative for my current method of retrieving beam (solid entity) lengths.

Hi There,

for years I have been using an VB program to retrieve beam (simple quare block with scaled Z value) lengths from modelspace. In modelspace a construction is shown made out of three different blocks. 90x90xL, 90x45xL and 45x45xL. where L is a scale Z dimension. The method I use I describe also in the tutorial below:

http://www.visiblevisual.com/jupgrade/index.php/autocad-vb-vba/26-draw-beams-and-get-parts-list-with...

This method works good but has a big few setbacks. 

1. I cannot use flatshot or create other 3d views showing the beams. They are simply left out

2. To change the length I cannot use 3DSTRETCH (or pull an arrow) but I need to go into properties and change the Z scale.

What I'd like to accomplish?

a. Could I replace my blocks by a BOX entity (or extrusion) to create beams. (I know AutoCad doesn't allow to retrieve Solid Extrusion geometric values. So I guess this is no option.

b. Would it be possible to create a dynamic block from a 3d extrusion with a LENGTH value. (If this is possible than I need some input in how to do so. I've looked but didnt founds a solution like this')

c. Any alternatives I havent thought of. ....

Help is appreciated. I hope one of you can provide me with a clever solution. 

Thanks in advance,

Wiebe

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
SEANT61
in reply to: gizmowiebe

See this link:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?37494-getting-3dSolid-Box-properties-using-VBA.../

I attached a VBA sample routine (post # 10) that does a pretty good job for generic rectangular solids.

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost