Visual Basic Customization

Visual Basic Customization

Valued Mentor
Rob.O
Message 11 of 12 (431 Views)

Re: Acad 2014 to Access-Run-time error 429 Activex component can't create object

05-10-2013 03:21 PM in reply to: grant73

Grant,

I just wasn't satisfied that there was not a workaround for this, so I re-read a thread I had started a couple of years ago:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/NET/32bit-AND-64bit-environment-database-connectivity/td-p/2925668/pag...

I thought I had tried everything that was suggested in that thread, but I think I missed one crucial piece.  In the second to last comment, someone posted that you could load the 64bit MS Access Database Engine on a system with MS Office 32bit by using the /passive parameter to install it.  Success!!!  It worked!  The 64bit engine installed, I added a reference to the code and blam... old vba code connecting to Access .mdb files in AutoCAD 2014 64bit!!!

I now have my crutch! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Contributor
fxcastil
Message 12 of 12 (428 Views)

Re: Acad 2014 to Access-Run-time error 429 Activex component can't create object

05-10-2013 04:08 PM in reply to: Rob.O

There is another option to allow to to use you VBA routines on a 64Bit Windows computer.

There is a company (Longbow Software) which allows you to install 32bit Autocad on a 64bit Win7 computer.

There is a memory limit about 3Gb for 32bit AutoCAD installed on a 64bit Win 7 computer.

If your cad files are not extra large > 15MB-20MB you will not see a memory limit problem.

You may be surprised that AutoCAD 32 bit is not slower than 64 bit AutoCAD on the 64bit Win 7 computer.

The other benefit of using the Longbow Software and installing a 32 bit version of AutCAD, is that the VBA programs will run fast. You have probably noticed how slow VBA programs are when running on 64bit AutoCAD on a Win 7 computer.

I would recommend anyone wanting to keep using their old VBA software try the longbow software, I have been able to continue to use my older VBA programs on a newer Win 7 64 bit computer, and the VBA programs run at the faster speed,

Search this site for Longbow.

http://www.longbowsoftware.com/

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.