Vehicle Tracking Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vehicle Tracking Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vehicle Tracking topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Tracking - Create Custom Vehicle

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
mcannon
9882 Views, 19 Replies

Vehicle Tracking - Create Custom Vehicle

I'm evaluating / testing Vehicle Tracking swept path design software. I have a Heavy Load Haul trailer I would like to create in the program but I just can't seem to figure out what to use where. I saw a video when the program was AutoTrack that had a similar vehicle but I can't find it in this program. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to attach a side profile view of the vehicle.

14 Axle Heavy Hauler.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: mcannon

Click the Vehicle Library Explorer button.  When the dialog box opens, there is a button for Vehicle Wizard.  This will guide you in creating your vehicle.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 20
mcannon

I tried going through that process but I couldn't figure how to do the first part after the truck. It has a front coupling and then two pivot points.
Message 4 of 20
MikeEvansUK

I have not use this software since it changed hands from Savoy but I expect it's similar to the original AutoTrack software which I did use for 10+ years.

I recomend when creating new custom vehicles not to do this from scratch. Instead locate a vehicle which is as close to as possible the one you are creating and modify as little as possible.

As I have found out the hard way you need a lot of Technical information from the vehicle manufacturers to generate accurate tracking (particularly when using lock to lock ratios) so take custom tracks with a pinch of salt. By using a premade vehicle of a simmilar nature you hopefully limit errors and produce more accurate tracks than by scratch with half the information. It is also a lot easier to modify than do from scratch.

I could be wrong tho' if it has been made easier.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 5 of 20
mcannon
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thank you for replying. I saw YouTube video from Savoy of a similar vehicle (Custom 16 axle Heavy Load Hauler) but I can not find that vehicle in this program. I may be over looking it but it seems as thought it is not in the library. I have a lot of information from the manufacturer and I should be able to get any information that I may need from them. But that first part that couples to the truck I just can't find a vehicle in the existing library like it or find a way when creating a custom vehicle, what to use for that part.

If anyone has an AutoTrack library file that has a vehicle similar to what I'm looking for, please let me know.

Message 6 of 20
viji.kumar

As you say, Autodesk Vehicle Tracking (AVT) does not have similar vehicles in its libraries. We are however interested in attempting to model it if the data is available. Mike Evans above has made some excellent points.(thanks, Mike) especially the 3rd paragraph re the need for technical information. Some manufacturers are extremely cooperative if you explain your requirement i.e. for swept path analysis.

We would be grateful for any data you could provide regarding the vehicle.

Viji.Kumar
Message 7 of 20
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: viji.kumar

Cheers Viji, its nice to be appriciated some times <Grin>
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 20
viji.kumar
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

It's a pleasure. I would also like to thank Todd for setting Michael C (mcannon) on the right path initially (excuse the pun).

Viji.Kumar
Message 9 of 20
mcannon

I appreciate everyone's help and input on this issue, thank you.

I will do my best to get everything needed from the manufacturer. Can you get me a list of all the information you would require to model this vehicle?

Message 10 of 20
viji.kumar

The detailed information required to model most vehicles can be seen from the help pages provided with AVT (search for "Vehicle Wizard") e.g. the number of axles, the axle widths, the spacing between axles, the number of wheels on each axle, wheelbases, turning circle, coupling points and the dimensions of the different units.

However, as this particular vehicle has an unorthodox configuration, additional parameters probably apply. The advanced editor in the Vehicle Wizard may be necessary to create this vehicle. For example, the 5th and 6th axles are on a separate drawbar bogey and seem to be spanned by a rigid beam with a pivot on the truck and the 2nd bogey. The dimensions of each separate unit will be required including overhangs and wheelbases. This is to ensure that all coupling points and linkages are correctly specified.

Any steering linkages between the rear and front axles of any of the units will therefore also be required. Please provide details if the option exists to override the rear steering of any unit. This can be also modelled.

Please let me know if you wish to clarify any of the above.

Viji.Kumar
Message 11 of 20
jmayo-EE

I just want the keys to take that thing for a ride. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 20
viji.kumar
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I admire your bravery. That looks like an extremely serious piece of machinery to drive.

Viji.Kumar
Message 13 of 20
mcannon

Thank you for your help. I'll contact the manufacturer and start gathering all the data. It may take me a few days or a week to get everything together.

I'll send you a private message when I have everything. Thank you.

Message 14 of 20
jmayo-EE

I am very intrested in this workflow besides getting the keys. 🙂

I would really appreciate if you could post the updates here. I can run side by side testing with the data...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
viji.kumar

Thank you very much. It would seem that you and I are not the only ones interested in modelling this vehicle.

Viji.Kumar
Message 16 of 20
viji.kumar

An update on modelling this vehicle:

1. It is an interesting and challenging proposition and the development team are happy to see if it can be modelled. However, it will be prioritised according to their policies and there may be a hiatus sometimes between updates.

2. Although Autodesk Vehicle Tracking is capable of modelling multi-unit vehicles with trailers/bogies that have steering linkages and suspended loads, there are a number of significant characteristics for this vehicle that introduce complications.

2.1 Complication - the first unit after the truck/(tractor in AVT usage) is a unit with 3 pivot points and no axles - the behaviour needs to be analysed; and

2.2 Complication - further data is required about the type of drawbar used.

We are attempting to collect further information about the vehicle. I shall, of course, keep you posted.

The link below provides an introduction to the data required and starts with a rigid vehicle e.g. the truck in the diagram. Please let me know if this is useful and I shall provide similar documentation for adding a trailer.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/What-data-is-required-to-model-a-rigid-vehicle-in-Autodesk-Veh...

Viji.Kumar
Message 17 of 20
viji.kumar

Further to my update of 20 Nov, I would like to draw attention to some Autodesk Vehicle Tracking Help pages that detail the information required to model vehicles including trailers and other articulated vehicles. This is the information to look for when referencing datasheets provided by manufacturers. 

The first screenshot (Capture01.jpg) attached shows the contents with the Unit Details dialog (4060) bordered in red.

The second screenshot  (Capture02.jpg) shows the details required for any unit.(You will not need all the parameters listed.)

Similarly, the other pages detail other dimensions and parameters required e.g. axle types, steering etc.

Unless you are modelling aeroplanes ignore the dialogs for Doors and Servicing.

This video prepared by my colleague Mike Hutt for Autodesk University 2014 is on the creation of custom vehicles:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/f74fde71-c4d0-45f1-ae8b-849a8b0fed57

Viji.Kumar
Message 18 of 20
nawal.singh

Hi, I am trying to design a special type vehicle named "Faktor 5 28 axle vessel bridge" in Autodesk vehicle library for swept path analysis , but I am not able to design it which include minimum desirable specification of the vehicle.  I have also reached out the vehicle manufacturer to collect the details required to design the vehicle but not able to come out with desirable details required. I would like to find anyone who  can help me to design this special type vehicle.  It would be appreciable.   I am sharing the video link of the vehicle as well as the side view of the vehicle . Thanks .    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6pUKF0YQg

nawalsingh_0-1627744221402.png

I have tried to to design this vehicle by modifying the default vehicle name "Abnormal Load Carrier"  present in vehicle library. but I am not able to include all its specification , specially axle suspension characteristics because it disturbs other specifications of the vehicle.  please reach me out or post your idea if you have any. . I will be helpful for me.

Message 19 of 20

Hello, I need to check the same vehicle that you attached in the text. Were you able to produce the vehicle? 

If you succeeded, is there anything you can share?  

Message 20 of 20

Hi Lukas, No I did not resolved the issue which I was facing. It still persists for the cutomised vehicle. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report