Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are read only vaulted files prompted for saving inside of Inventor?

Why are read only vaulted files prompted for saving inside of Inventor?

Gentlemen,

Issue:

Read only files or "non-checked out" files, continue to be prompted for saving inside of an Inventor assembly model. Why is this happening? I know the little messages (see Vault messages below) are supposed to let you know the file is not being saved back to Vault, but something is happening. Somehow the files become edited out of turn, which means they're being saved locally somehow. Then the Vault file and the workspace file are out of sync.

Solution:

Can we just remove the Vaulted "read only" files from the assembly save dialog all together?

Is it possible to not change the local file in the certain way that makes Vault see it out of sync?

I have Vaulted released files that are part of assemblies that are checked out for editing and somehow the parts of the assembly that are not checked out seem to always become out of sync.

Also, some of these parts are iParts.

Please give this post Kudos if you have the "read only" file out of sync with Vault issue.

Autodesk: Please consider my request. Thanks.

Vault Messages:

"Write enable (not checked out from Vault)"

"'XXXXXX.iam' is currently locked. Do you want to continue editing anyway?  Your changes will not get saved to the Vault."

9 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This can occur when Inventor is recomputing information within the file or the file has been migrated because of changes Inventor has to make.  Unfortunately this is outside of Vault's control.  You should be able to check the file into Vault without checking in the additional, unchanged by user, files.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

I think I understand WHY it's happening, I just don't know why the Inventor "changes" are being saved to the file, can't we just "close the file without saving"?. The only way I have found to prevent this from happening, is to check out ALL members of the assembly to update. If I don't check out the parts of the assembly that are not being changed, they also show up in the Vault preview pane as "Warning: New data available. This view should be updated." This prompts other users to think that the file is "out of date". I am certain that this subject really needs to be reviewed.

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

bastian.estner
Autodesk Support

There seems to be another workaround for this.

If the main assembly is opened from the "Open from Vault" command in Inventor, it will bring up the dialog that asks to synchronize properties followed by another dialog that asks to check out files. If you use "Yes to all", it will check out all components that show the asteriks (*) in the Browser and would later run into the issue described here.

This could save some time identifying and checking out all these files later manually when prompted to save them.

c.kolb
Contributor

Hi,

In my opinion, whenever Inventor wants to save an unchecked file, a checkout request should come.
The "*" is a workaround, but most users don't even use the Vault Browser.

Also, if you deny saving, it is possible that the assembly cannot be checked in at all, since the entire assembly must be saved.
I don't understand why Vault / Inventor even allows you to save not checked out files.

This "bug feature" causes huge problems when checking in large assemblies.

So thanks for changing this.

Anders__007
Observer

How is this going? it is very frustrating, and if someone in the team messes up a lot of work neds to be redone.

ccoppolaQ45VD
Explorer

I'm having the same issue. It seems only some of my iParts are effected by this but not all of them.

Is there an update to this issue? 

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

We also have this issue, hope AD can offer a solution

Thanks

Dan

Richard-D-Henderson
Contributor

This causes our team working with very large layouts a lot of headaches. Most of the time the files that Inventor sees as "dirty" are because they are sub assemblies with flexible positional representations, these assemblies are also in a released state so we couldn't check them out to save them anyway. Most of the time that team will only have the very top level assembly checked out as that is the only file that they need to edit. We have been getting around this partially by either saving the files out of turn or saving only the top level that is checked out and then closing the assembly so we get the prompt to check in on close. This works most of the time (80%) but when it takes up to 30 minutes to open an assembly to just close it again to check it in you can see how we lose large amounts of productive time! This also doesn't work if you have other assemblies open. We need a way of being able to check in just that assembly regardless of the state that Inventor thinks its children are in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report