Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow the User or Group access to view/read the historical Released Revision

Allow the User or Group access to view/read the historical Released Revision

Description

Enable view of historical State when Document is set to a state what restricts R,M,D

Impact

User or Group has read access on Released state only.

When Document state changes from Released to Work in Progress, the User or Group no longer has access to view/read the Document, even though there has been a iteration it one or more Released states.

Severity

High/Critical

Solution

Allow the User or Group access to view/read the historical Released Revision of the Document even when the current state is Work in Progress

29 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

tmoney2007
Collaborator

This is a very important feature for companies that have more than one design group operating in the same vault.

We have manufacturing engineers that evaluate standard product designs, but also design tooling and fixtures.  They need to be in the thick client, but they shouldn't be able to see WIP versions of files in other lifecycle definitions.

We just need a check box for "Read Latest Released" in the lifecycle definition security tab.  Its available in the web client, but not the thick client.

Oltra
Advocate

If we have a file with security based on Groups you will encounter a problem:

Case:

SALES can only see RELEASED

ENGINEERING can see Everything

Problem:

When the file in REV.A and Released State is send to Work in Progress, the people from SALES does not see the file any more.

They should have the ability to see the Released File, while Engineering is working on an improvement or modification

Tags (3)
proehlr
Observer

I agree

tmoney2007
Collaborator

If they are accessing through the web client, you can give the sales group read access in the WIP lifecycle.  It should be a configuration in web client to only show released versions.

Inside of vault, this feature should act the same way though.  I absolutely agree.

It basically comes down to forcing user groups to use release biased gets.

don.gibson
Contributor

When will this be implemented? 

This is a critical issue for us as well.  The workaround is to give people the ability to see everything.  That is just as dangerous as not letting people see enough.  Either way I'm hearing lots of grumbling. 

Is there a better workaround I am not aware of?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

MMorrison
Enthusiast

Critical Issue for us.  Does not work correctly in 2014.

AndrewPawelski
Enthusiast
This is very critical functionality for us too.
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

don.gibson
Contributor

This topic has been brought up on the forum as well.

See this link for that thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/Vault-Pro-2013-Thin-Client-and-released-files/m-p/433346...

There has to be a way to get this done.  Please throw us a bone, Autodesk.

AndrewPawelski
Enthusiast

I don't want to hijack this idea, but I thought it made sense posting here rather than starting a new thread.

I completely agree and endorse this functionality, although I would like to see one additional option associated to it.

In our case it's for the Manufacturing team. Just like jmoltra describes, I would like them to see that the file actually exists and is in a revision state. The option I am looking for is the ability to either allow them to view the last released version OR prevent them from opening or viewing any version of the file until it's released again.

The reason for this option is that I want them to see the file exists, but not allow consumption of the file in any of it's versions to prevent any parts to be manufactured to old revisions. Currently they have no way to know if the file is in revision or of it exists at all.

ericlynch7405
Contributor

Our hundreds of machine maintenance users need this feature as "current state" drawings are not available to them if the files are in the WIP state. The thin client is not usable as they all are AVFS sites with limited bandwith. This is critical to us.

philip.s
Alumni

Anonymous
Not applicable

Users with read permission to a "Released" file, should be able to read the last released version of a file which current state is "In Revision".

Tags (2)
ihayesjr
Community Manager

@Anonymous,

If the user has permissions to the file when it is in the state "In Revision" they will still be able to see the Released file. 

ihayesjr
Community Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

Do the "non CAD user" need access to the latest native released CAD file version (e.g. idw, dwg) or is it enough if they have access to the neutral format (e.g. PDF) of the latest released CAD file version?

Younes Yammouri

Anonymous
Not applicable

@YounesYammouri

Sorry for the late answer.

We do need access to the latest released native CAD files. When the native file is in revision it is not possible to get access to the earlier released version to send, markup or export them for our customer.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report