Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uses and Where Used tabs to remember collapse / expanded state

Uses and Where Used tabs to remember collapse / expanded state

Can we get the Uses and Where Used tabs to remember collapsed / expanded state. When selecting a new file, the tabs are shown in an expanded state. 99% of the time I only need to see one level, rather than all levels

45 Comments
ilotey
Enthusiast

Hi,

It would be very helpful if the Where Used tree on the Where Used tab of the Preview Pane in the Vault Client would automatically expand.  This functionality already exists for the Uses tab.

Maybe an option to expand all levels or first level only would also be good.

This would make it significantly less time consuming to go through parts in a project and see which ones are not being used anywhere.  It would be very helpful to people trying to clean up a new vault.

If this is not possible, it would be good if at least the 'plus' symbol doesn't show if the part is not used anywhere.

Tags (1)
catot
Advocate

@ilotey wrote:

If this is not possible, it would be good if at least the 'plus' symbol doesn't show if the part is not used anywhere.

I totally agree with this, it is very annoying having to click on that "plus-symbol" when there is nothing there at all. If I can remember correctly, this was not an issue a couple of releases ago. ("plus-symbol" was only appearing when file actually is used somewhere)

Expand all levels i think will cause problems for our company, as we reuse a lot of parts, and i think it could be very slow switching between files when having Where Used tab activated. But Where Used expanded at first level is very welcome. 

karthur1
Mentor

When I click on a file in the Vault Explorer window, then go tot the "Uses" and "Where Used" tabs, it show always shows everywhere the file is used/uses.  I find myself, more often than not, collapsing the tree, just so that I dont have to see so much clutter.  Then when I go to another file in the browser, the tree is fully expanded and I have to collapse it again.

I would like to have some control over this.  It would be good to have a option to set the depth of tree to expose.  Maybe fully collapsed or show 1, 2 or 3 levels.

If we could suppress the part/child relationship for iparts/iassemblies that would help a bunch.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
Kirk, what version of Vault are you using?
karthur1
Mentor

Irvin,

Currently using Vault Basic 2014.

MattH_Work
Collaborator
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

tmoney2007
Collaborator

I really don't like that it goes back to the fully expanded state whenever I perform any operation on the files in the tree.

Like if I open one, it expands all... which is really annoying when I am trying to troubleshoot an issue.

mlaroche
Explorer

good point!

even more, each user should be able to chose if they want the uses and the where used tabs to auto-expand (one option for each tab)

in our company, it's the other way arround, we can't have the uses tab activated (because it's auto-expending and we use too much derived parts to generate assemblies and it take forever to generate) however, we uses most of our parts in 1 assembly only (sometime we can re-use some up to 4-5 time only) and we alway's need to expend this tab (I feel most of the time I spend in vault is to expand the where used tab...)

hope this imporvement come in the next release!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Fully agree !
No "+" sign if no sub-level is an evidence...

Additionnaly, if I go to the Where Used tab (and the same for Uses tab), I want to see at least the first level, so it has to be expanded by default !

marina.collet
Advocate

in my case, the best solution for "Where Used" as well as "Uses" tabs would be to automatically expend the first level (but not expand All).

JBleasby
Advocate

I'm experiencing the opposite - all parts under 'Where Used' now never appear as auto-expanded, which used to be really useful for quickly checking whether a part was orphaned or not. Now I have to click on the '+' expander every time, and even parts that are genuinely orphaned still have the '+' expander.

I too would like some control over how many levels are auto-expanded here.

dan
Explorer
Explorer

Whether or not levels are expanded or collapsed by default depends on the specific environment.

For example, why would I click the 'Where Used' tab if I did not want to see all of the places a file is used?  Any additional clicks to expand add unnecessary effort.

For another example, why would I use the 'Group by Box' feature if I then have to scroll down and minimize each level?  The Group by Box area should be collapsed based on the grouping action, not expanded under that action.

Some companies or individuals may have different preferences, which is why this should all be configurable in the 'Options' section.  (See attached) 

For example, a standard engineering company which primarily uses standardized components would likely prefer 'Copy Design' to show the first level by default while an engineer-to-order organization would likely prefer all levels were expanded.

The fact that the 'Uses' and the 'Where Used' tabs do not show the first level by default is annoying.

In summary, this should all be at least toggle-able if not completely configurable (similar to attached).

Tags (5)
limin.chung
Autodesk

Hi, 

Some possible solutions for this idea are currently under discussion on the NDA based Vault Feedback/Beta forums. If you would like to contribute/validate then please apply for access using this link:

Thanks,

Limin

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
pdecker
Advocate

When I am using the very useful WHERE USED (as well as USES) feature, I almost always have to collapse the list first to find the information I am looking for.  Then I expand as required. Which brings to mind an additional enhancement; being able to expand by level numbers (similar to GROUPS in Excel).

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

I think this is similar to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/uses-and-where-used-tabs-to-remember-collapse-expanded-st.... In that we will merge both. Let us know otherwise. Thanks.

stefan.hoeflinger
Contributor

I would really appreciate such an option!

Will such a setting come in the next release?

stefan.hoeflinger
Contributor
there are some more ideas with similar topic: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/configurable-expand-collapse-defaults/idi-p/8755970 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/uses-tab-do-not-display-the-top-assembly-top-element/idi-... https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/possibility-to-view-complete-cad-structure/idi-p/9052185 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/auto-expand-where-used-in-vault-client/idi-p/4306127 kind of strange that there is nothing happening so far!? Anyhow i will vote now for this idea because its in status accepted developer please also consider the other / similar contributions in my opinion, this configurable solution is very elegant: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/configurable-expand-collapse-defaults/idi-p/8755970 I hope there will be some implementation soon because our users wants to have this since day one of Vault Professionell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report