Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for NTLM Protocol

Support for NTLM Protocol

We have customers which require the use of the NTLM protocol for email notifications.  Currently, Vault Professional only support SMTP protocol for this feature.

Please at support for the NTLM protocol.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/ECO-NOTIFICATIONS-SMTP-Vs-NTLM/td-p/3793669

24 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

dvsmiller9
Advocate

Our Anti-spam filter is flagging Vault emails as spoofed, presumably because it can't verify that the email is coming from a valid user in our domain even though I have set up a domain user to represent the Vault with it's own mailbox.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

I posted this comment under another idea about ECO email notification but thought it warranted reposting here:

There is also a problem with the notification service stopping if it doesn't get a response from the email server it is sending through.  We have been having some communication dropouts with Exchange and Outlook.  I am told by Autodesk support after reviewing our logs that Vault does not get responses from our SMTP server and therefore quits.  I have to issue an 'iisreset' on the Vault server to re-enable email notifications.

I would like to see the Vault server keep trying to send the emails in its queue, retrying after a configurable amount of time.  Email servers do this, building up their queue until communication is restored.  Let's see Vault do this, please.

jens.krause
Autodesk Support

Most externally hosted Email providers like Office 365 or Gmail require SSL or TLS encryption. The Vault Pro email notification for engineering change orders does not support these encryption technoligies yet.

Please support TLS/ SSL encryption to allow Vault email notifications without the need to set up an internally hosted email server.

i.wendler
Community Visitor

Wir wollten unser Änderungsmanagement über EMAIL verwalten. Da wir mit OFFICE365 agieren war die Aussage von AUTODESK, dass dies nicht funktioniert, da VAULT die Verschlüsselung nicht anbietet. Wir konnten dies nicht glauben und haben bei unterschiedlichen Stellen nachgefragt. Mit dem Ergebnis es ist kaum zu glauben aber wahr.

Das Problem bitte so schnell wie möglich lösen.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

xavier_dumont1
Collaborator

Hello,

I see this idea is under future consideration. Today more and more companies are migrating to email system like Office 365 who need TLS/SSL support.

I don't think the effort to support this is huge, then is there any chance to have a change in a near future?

Thanks in advance

david_coulam
Advocate

Since SSL was mentioned as an option for accessing the mobile app, it seems like it would be a good time to implement support for emails for those that will turn it on now.

xavier_dumont1
Collaborator

Hello, any news for this Idea?

autodesk
Explorer

As noted by someone else, more companies are going to cloud servers for e-mail.  It would be good if other protocols were supported so these could be utilized.  With more people working remotely, notifications go a long way to help communication.  I would think this is needed now more than ever.

smilinger
Advisor

The email settings on the ADMS seem to only work in an active directory environment and for self-owned SMTP servers.

However, many of our customers are using third-party email services and have no active directory environment, the SMTP servers are on the cloud, usually require TLS/SSL connections. I have encountered many cases requiring a setup for these SMTP servers, none of them is working with Vault, even if the server requires no TLS/SSL connections.

From a programming perspective, it's utterly simple to send an email with those SMTP servers. It's as simple as requiring only 3 lines of Powershell code, as follows:

$smtpClient = [System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient]::new('smtp.some_email_provider.com', 25)
$smtpClient.Credentials = [System.Net.NetworkCredential]::new('myname@mycompany.com', 'password')
$smtpClient.Send('myname@mycompany.com', 'anothername@mycompany.com', 'Subject', 'This is a simple test.')

This is working wonderfully! I have tried it with various email service providers, with no problem.

It's unbelievable that these SMTP servers cannot work with Vault. When setting up email settings in ADMS with these SMTP servers, it always says "authentication is required".

Please remove these unnecessary limitations from Vault.

Tags (3)
f_clusman
Observer

hello, any updates of this issue ?

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

Hi 

We also need this feature. Many customers today are using Outlook 365 and we can't connect to ECO email notification for them.

Thanks

Dan 

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

Hello

Few days ago I noticed that if Vault works in SSL environment 

ECO emails are sending http links in notification, although SSL in supported for Vault.

So now they get the emails but can't open the links directly to the ECO. 

This is function critical guys, I don't understand how is this Future Consideration?  

@ihayesjr 

Regards

Dan

f_clusman
Observer

Hello,

can we have an update 

we need this option.

Regards,

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

r.hendriksQDBMT
Explorer

Also here, the support is needed. Is there anything known about when we can expect this and in what versions?

The fact, that it was already accepted in 2013 indicates, that the current solution is really old fashioned. In any up to date IT environment the Support for NTLM Protocol is mandatory. Otherwise unfortunately this feature in Vault cannot be used.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@r.hendriksQDBMT 

Small correction, this was "accepted" this year, not in 2013. 

Are you participating in the Vault Feedback community?

r.hendriksQDBMT
Explorer

rhendriksQDBMT_2-1701791329222.png

This is what I noticed. In 2017 the status was changed back to gathering Support.

I am not yet participating in the Vault Feedback community. How can I apply for that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report