Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing which files need migrated in Vault

Seeing which files need migrated in Vault

Currently you have to download a file to your local and then do to Design Assistant or open it in Inventor to see if the file needs to be migrated. I would like the option to be able to see if the file needs migrate and what version it was last migrated to. By having this option, I could easily see what needs migrated and what doesn't instead of hoping that I find them all. I know that someone could say 'just check out all the files and migrate them' but when your Vault has over 1.5 million files a growing it's not really an option.
4 Comments
Neil_Cross
Mentor

I see the benefit and requirement to this, although I think this would need a lot of work to get it functional for all.  Since earlier releases of Inventor can access newer versions of Vault, it wouldn't suit all customers to be told to migrate files.

I would suggest adding an admin option which makes this function completely optional, as if you're using multiple versions of Inventor you're not given a flag to migrate when you don't want to.

I would also suggest an option to allow an admin to specify the primary version of Inventor in use, then the Vault can check that against the file schema version.

Seems like a simple idea but there's a load of other factors to consider, in theory though there could be good mileage in the idea.

swalton
Mentor

If we could see the version of IV that created the file as a Vault property, we could build a custom search to find the files from various versions.

Add that info to Task Scheduler, and I could build a job that migrated old files to the latest version of IV, without pulling down every file.  That can get painful on large filestores.

Even better would be a out-of-the-box Job Processor task for file migration.  That could be a low priority job that runs on nights and weekends until the entire Vault Filestore is migrated. Give the Job Processor the correct permissions, and I don't have to bump a rev just to migrate a file.  Couple that with tasks for creating pdf, dxf and stp files and I might be able to stop re-writing custom software for each new version of Vault...

douthett
Collaborator

While working on a different project, I found some iLogic code that will place the Inventor version in the Custom iProperties

http://blog.ketiv.com/capture-inventor-version-in-an-iproperty-with-ilogic

Not sure if it will update when we migrate a file but it's better than what we have right now.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in Autodesk Vault 2018.

Now you have a property called Application Version shows the last time the file was saved and the version of Inventor it was saved in.

See more details in the Vault 2018 help

Younes Yammouri

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report