Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Can't load Families using Type Catalogs

Revit - Can't load Families using Type Catalogs

Description

Vault does not present the Type Catalog dialog box when loading a Family into Revit via the Vault tab from within the Revit UI.

There are two outcomes of the loading processes depending on the workflow.

1. Revit, Vault tab > Load Family
    Loads all the types from the Type Catalog file. If there are lots of Types to generate, this can be a time consuming process, hence the original idea of why Type Catalog files are used in Revit.
  2. Drag a file from Vault into Revit
    Vault completely ignores the Type Catalog file and loads the default types which are stored directly in the Family file.

Impact

If a company cannot make use of Type Catalog files, then there is little point in using Vault to store Revit Families since Revit relies heavily on the use of Type Catalogs.

Severity

Critical!!

Solution

Make Vault aware of Revit Type Catalog files.

7 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: 投票募集中

Chad-Smith
Advisor
I'm sorry, but this is no implemented in 2014. So if you could please change the Status back to Accepted. When I load a Family I want the Type Catalog dialog to display in order to make a decision regarding which Type/s I want to load. I've already made this abundantly clear to development, and the current behaviour in 2014 is not reflecting the above outlined description. While I understand what development have already done, it has a different impact on workflow and design decision when compared to my request.
AdamPeter
Autodesk

These are really two separate requests.  I am only addressing the first one.

The incorporation of type catalogs have not only been implemented but improved upon.  As long as the text file is also placed into Vault along with the RFA file, Vault adds it to that family's index so when a user is searching in Revit, those types are exposed.  It is done through a singular search dialog which is less intrusive than the secondary window that the user traditionally sees.  Additionally with the new functionality users can choose to insert multiple types across several family files which would have required multiple loads without Vault.  

Chad-Smith
Advisor

Adam, thanks for the reply.

I can understand the new process with the removal of a displayed Type Catalog in favour of other methods, but the new method has some other inherit issues which a traditional Type Catalog doesn't have.

Secondly, this new method falls apart when you want to load a family directly from the Vault client, by dragging the file from the client into Revit. When this process is used, there is no exposure of the family data at this time, and as such the user will not have a choice of which Types to load.

This could be a user who prefers to browse content from within Vault, or the data manager who is doing some file management.

Refer to this featutre request for associated info; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault-IdeaStation/Revit-Family-Metadata-in-Vault/idc-p/389379...

Lastly, in your last sentence, this statement is actually incorrect.

Revit (without Vault) can already load multiple Families in one hit along with selectively choosing which Types to load from each Family as part fo the single load. This is one of the powerful features of the Type Catalog dialog which I would like to see accessible.

The Type Catalog file also allows the user to 'browse' the data in an overview table style format. Unlike the Vault Load Family which has a very linear workflow, in which you have to make a selection, check the results, if it's not what you want, you then have to go back a step. It's kind of a two steps forward, and one step back process. The Type Catalog dialog doesn't suffer from this workflow problem as you can see all the data without any further clicks. This is the core of my argument of why this feature request is important.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Autodesk welcomes all Ideas but as we run with them, and hopefully reach an implementation phase, our execution of your idea may not be precisely how you envisioned it.  Keep in mind that we have a lot of folks to please (including ourselves!) and so we’ll occasionaly deliver an Idea that may not be exactly / precisely how you envisioned it.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report