Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request criteria be included in state transition denial

Request criteria be included in state transition denial

I have a unique request that I think would benefit many users.  I have a need to specify a criteria be met prior to a state change.  In my example, I need to have a particular property with a value before we can send a file to the next state.  This property is not mandatory until we reach this state, so the compliance flag is not displayed for this. 

The problem we experience occurs when someone forgets to fill in the required value and then tries to submit the file to the next state.  The resulting error message indicates that there is missing information, but is not specific as to the missing or unfulfilled criteria.  It would be very beneficial to have the error dialog indicate the particular criteria that failed.  If the user could see the property missing the value or something similar to direct them, it would be very useful.

Thanks,
Mark

8 Comments
jhackney
Contributor

This is an excellent idea.  This is also the case for some other required properties as well.  You see the compliance icon, hover over it and it tells you that it is out of compliance but gives no indication what the compliance issue is. 

dcheff
Contributor

Very good idea! The more information that can be displayed in a results dialog box the better it is for the user. Instead of the user having to search for what the issue is and spend time looking somewhere else, the answer is right in front of them. We have done this with some custom applications for Vault and it has proved very useful.

Regards,

Dominic

Neil_Cross
Mentor

I only wish I could bump the kudos up on this higher than it already is.  This feels like something which should have already been done years ago.  The problem is that as Administrators, we set up all the transition rules in the back end which the user doesn't have visibility of, we are likely to know why a transition failed but the user won't have a clue where to even start looking.  

Fori123
Enthusiast

k

tmoney2007
Collaborator

This is one of those mind boggleing "duh" type of ideas. In what world does it make good sense for errors to basically say "something is wrong" when it would be so easy to actually say WHAT exactly is wrong.

I regret that I have but one kudo to give.

smilinger
Advisor

I have an idea. It is more convenient to add a special column to the change state dialog grid, if files does not meet the requested criteria, it should display an icon to indicate what criteria is not met, just like the Property Compliance column in the main grid.

2015-01-06_11-46-28.png

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

SER4
Collaborator

Duplicate:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/more-precise-message-when-can-t-change-state/idi-p/351166...

Agreed we need to be able to add more columns.

Also if the State Change gets an error (I got one because I was trying to change state of a factory and not the members), then it just Cancels and closes...I've lost all my selections and comments!  If there is an error, please make it go back to the previous window.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report