Vault IdeaStation
Share your wish list directly with the Autodesk Vault Development Team
129 Kudos
m.numberger

PDF Publishing

by Contributor m.numberger on ‎06-20-2012 10:26 PM

Hello,

i think Autodesk should integrate automatic PDF-Publishing into Vault (2D-PDF) like the DWF-Publishing.

The DWF is more powerful and Autodesk want to spread it with force, but there are some reasons for the PDF format:

- PDF is an ISO-Standard, DWF not.

- You can open DWF only on Windows, there is no DesignReview form MAC or Linux.

- The DWF-Viewer works only on prozessores with SSE2, PDF-Viewer are running everywhere.

- Everybody has installed an PDF-Viewer, DesignReview normaly nobody without Autodesk Products.

Best regards

Michael

Comments
by Board Manager on ‎08-07-2012 07:16 AM
Status changed to: Accepted

by Active Contributor mvdberg on ‎08-09-2012 12:24 AM

Most companies want a PDF (and/or usually a DWG) of an IDW after the drawing is released. This feature should be implemented like the secondary files feature in Producstream Professional (PSP) The jobserver should make these document and they are attached to the original document as read only. Under no circumstance should users be allowed to edit these documents.

It is save to say that DWF will not replace PDF. There is not even a 64-bit design review. So large models can not be opened in desiogn review.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎08-31-2012 05:27 AM

We have govenrment clients that are not allowed to load additional software (like Autodesk design review) on their machines. There are a some private companies like this too. Since that is the case, they cant view our dwf files.  they can view PDF.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎09-04-2012 08:29 AM

I've spent a lot of money getting PDF publishing working in our Vault.  But for 2D PDF creation, primarily AutoCAD, it isn't easy.  There are thousands of different ways that an AutoCAD drawing can be laid out, automating PDF creation to suit all drafting styles for all organisations in an 'out the box' solution is extremely difficult.  But not impossible.  This is something that is definately long overdue, ironically I'd be well annoyed if it came in any time soon after the investment I've made in getting it to work now!

by Board Manager on ‎09-20-2012 09:51 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Distinguished Contributor obourne on ‎09-26-2012 01:37 PM

Another benefit to publishing  to a PDF is that I can use a third party digital pen for my markups. Currently Adapx only works with PDFs.

Ideally I would want the PDf to function as an underlay in IV so I can execute my design changes (or have a simple/seemless conversion to DWF while retaining markups).

by Erik.Hong on ‎10-09-2012 07:00 PM

We just release PDF Publisher LT to Autodesk Exchange App Store. It's a simple tool let you create PDF for dwg files inside Vault Explorer. Not sure whether this meets your requirement. 

You can find it here: 

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/VLTC/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3apdfpublisher...

by Contributor bschupbach on ‎10-10-2012 06:04 PM

No supplier or customer wants to install a custom software  just to view a drawing.  And let's be realistic, these companies would have to do this for every possible CAD platform their own customers and suppliers have since there are so many out there.

I'd like to see Autodesk step up here and do the thing that makes the most sense for it's customers, rather than try to spread it's viewer to a lot of 3rd party companies through who really don't care to be bother by yet another piece of software just so they can view a drawing.

by Contributor RPdAnjou on ‎01-31-2013 04:45 AM

Totally agree, should work out of the box!

by josecastro on ‎04-26-2013 12:13 PM

I totally agree with all the users here.

What I like  if they can integrate on the viewer also, the option for open other

files  directly usin creo view express, sunch native files of Pro E or Creo.

creo viewer express allow you open more  type of files.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea
Top Kudoed Authors